Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM

30 posts, read 136,036 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are still in the process of making the big move to Seattle and are looking at the two different French immersion schools (French American School of Puget Sound and French Immersion School of Washington) for our daughter. The tuition at FASPS is about $2-3k more per year (depending on the time you go to school and the year in school you are) and FASPS would also be about 5 more miles in terms of driving distance.

Does anyone out there have any experience with either school? I have only been searching online and would love some firsthand experiences! FASPS looks like it might be a better all-around school and we like that it goes from preschool all the way to 8th grade. FISW only goes to 5th grade and then we would have to switch to either a public school for middle school or the FASPS for middle school.

Has anyone made that switch before and was it easy on the child? Any feedback/help/etc. you could give us as we make this decision would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,386 times
My name is Katie Bell and I have a son in PK at the French American School of the Puget Sound. This is his second year at the school and we are very pleased with our decision to enroll him. He is thriving and progressing. The teachers are outstanding and have helped tremendously in our son's progress. The school provides a wonderful learning environment and a welcoming community of highly involved parents, teachers and staff. In fact, we are so pleased with our son's progress we intend to enroll our daughter in YPK next year. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Katie Bell; 11-30-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,363 times
I've only had experience with FASPS, so I cannot compare the two schools. But my daughter just graduated from FASPS Middle School last year and we were really happy with the program, which was both strong and comprehensive. My son is currently in First Grade there. Not only he benefits from the bilingual program, but also from the many after-schools activities offered (my son loves the Chinese and Chess after-school classes). And for me, one of the highlights of the school is the parent community; it is very international, and parents have very diverse and interesting backgrounds.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. We spoke with Patricia Blaise-Caves the other day over the phone and were very impressed with her answers to our questions. I wish that we could visit the school before applying, so we will hopefully be able to get up to the Seattle area again soon.

If either of you are still checking this thread, can you tell me what the equipment is like for the playground? Do the children get enough outside time and also, how did your children adjust to the French at school and English at home? Were they simply tired each day or tired and frustrated?

We are very excited at the prospect of joining the school community and look forward to meeting you at some point (our daughter will be applying for a placement in the YPK next year)!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Why French? Why not a more practical language? I can understand if one is French-Canadian or has relatives that speak French, but other than that, French is a worthless, dying language. Spanish immersion seems way more practical here in the Western Hemisphere.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why French? Why not a more practical language? I can understand if one is French-Canadian or has relatives that speak French, but other than that, French is a worthless, dying language. Spanish immersion seems way more practical here in the Western Hemisphere.
I totally disagree!
1. One doesn't learn a language based solely on "practicality". There are all kinds of other reasons - a French family background, interest in France and French culture, a connection to the many francophone countries of the world!

2. Where did you come up with the disparaging assessment that French is "worthless" and "dying"? Tell that to folks in France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Québec, and the many countries in North and West Africa where French is the, or one, official language!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I totally disagree!
1. One doesn't learn a language based solely on "practicality". There are all kinds of other reasons - a French family background, interest in France and French culture, a connection to the many francophone countries of the world!

2. Where did you come up with the disparaging assessment that French is "worthless" and "dying"? Tell that to folks in France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Québec, and the many countries in North and West Africa where French is the, or one, official language!
Obviously, if someone wants their child to go to a French immersion preschool, they have their reasons. And it's none of my business what those reasons are. The original poster didn't come here and ask " I'm thinking of enrolling my child in a French immersion preschool and was wondering if people here thought it was practical."
If you're a buttinsky, you answer questions that nobody asked with your own opinion. If you're really trying to be helpful, you either answer the question they asked or remain silent. I don't know a thing about French immersion preschools other than that I know they exist...
Yes, every once in a while, people come here with odd ideas that won't work, like they want to buy a home on Mercer Island for 200,000 dollars, and need to be steered in the right direction. But French immersion schools? Not helpful to anyone for me to express my ignorant opinion.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post

2. Where did you come up with the disparaging assessment that French is "worthless" and "dying"?
The accurate assessment comes from the declining use and importance of the language. Even Portuguese has surpassed French as Brazil becomes a world power while the most import French speaking country, France, declines. Again, unless you have direct French speaking connections, this is a mega waste of time, money, and brain power. Why learn a snooty, declining language when you can learn something more useful? There are a dozen languages you should immerse your children with over French.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM

To reply to Andy -

We do have a family connection to France and would like for our daughter to learn the language. I also studied in France and believe that learning a romance language can help you understand many other languages as well.

I understand your comments about Spanish and would add Mandarin to the list of languages it would be great for children to learn. We are eager for our daughter to learn another language fully and with fluency. As we have a connection to France, this was the best option for our family. One of the great things about FASPS is that for the younger students they also offer Chinese after school and once in 6th grade, the children choose to learn either Mandarin or Spanish in addition to their French and English.

There are many benefits to children learning to speak multiple languages at a young age and while I appreciate your comments, it was a personal family decision that led us to French.

Thanks everyone for the input. We are going to visit both schools, but unless there is a major drawback we find with FASPS, I think we will apply there.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I get the sneaking suspicion Andy might be Canadian or at least of Canadian origin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area