Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,802 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am thinking about moving to Seattle but still unsure. Right now I am living out of the US and lived in Florida before this. I am undecided on weather to return to my home base of NYC or to move to Seattle. I feel like NYC is so over priced but it might be easier to find a job and better opportunities .I don't know much about Seattle but my boyfriend visited once and he talks about it often. any insight would be great!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
I would say go to the city that has the most opportunities in your field.

You definitely get more for your money here than NYC. You definitely get less for your money here than in many parts of the nation. I liken the cost of living here to be similar to Chicago, only here the housing prices are more expensive. My old house, which was a charming 1920s brick with Spanish tile, two story with basement and two car garage and 2400 sq. ft. went for $450k about a year ago, and it's in a nice area.

Try finding that here. For 450k you can find some wooden house built in the 60s and amounts to a shack that nobody would buy unless they don't mind living in someplace that needs constant maintenance and anyone with the resources would knock down and build a proper house over it.

Or you could move to the suburbs and find a reasonable house for reasonable cost.

Seattle is one of those cities where it makes more sense to rent than to buy. The cost of renting is pretty reasonable.

Other than that Seattle is a very nice place to call home. Many neighborhoods have distinct feels and many of the suburbs do too. There's probably a dozen or so centers in this area as opposed to one big central area that clearly defines the feel of the area.

But if you're used to and want huge buildings for miles on end and tons of people packed together like sardines, like in NYC, you won't find it here unless you live in the shopping district. You won't find bars and restaurants open till 6 AM (though bars may in the future if the mayor has his way).

Anyway, sorta searching for what you're looking for. Need some details

Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,802 times
Thank you for the reply. The truth is Seattle sounds better then nyc at this point we are not the bar/ club type we mostly spend our time at home working online. We left the US to go travel and live in North Africa but we are planning on returning soon.The question is where ? I am worried about moving and not finding a job , while I work online I also want a day job. More money is always better. Between us both we have experience in DME medical supplies, graphic, web design, seo, internet marketing ,debt arbitrations , sales and customer. I have been applying for jobs but I am not sure employers like to hire with out you being in state.I am not sure if we should take the risk and move to a city we never lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: