Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,867 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Pittsburgh, PA and I love this city. We probably will have to leave in a few years when my girlfriend graduates with her teaching degree as there are no teaching jobs here We have both absolutely fallen in love with Seattle as a prospect for where to move, but I have some questions.

Pittsburgh has pretty much the exact same weather as Seattle, except with much more snow in the winter months. I love Pittsburgh's weather, but in all honesty, I couldn't care less what it is doing outside, I will go outside and run, bike, kayak, etc. no matter what the weather. I just love to be outside. Anyway, in Pittsburgh, EVERYONE ******* about the weather, and it seems to create this prevailing sense of negativity. One thing I can't stand is people bitching about weather. Its just something people do around here to break the ice or to fill in an awkward silence.

My question is this: Are the majority of people as upset about the weather in Seattle as it seems on this message board or is this just a forum to post on if you want to complain? Will I have to endure constant bitching and negativity about the weather in the winter months living in Seattle?

I've never understood how you can move to a place that is world-renowned for its rain and gray skies and then proceed to complain about the rain and gray skies. Its like moving to Phoenix and complaining that its too hot.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
Have you seen the Phoenix people - They DO complain it's too hot!

I think message boards just give people the confidence to complain where they need too. If I complained to my husband all the time about how I felt, he'd either really get sick of me or stop listening.

Sometimes people are just more open to strangers

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
My question is this: Are the majority of people as upset about the weather in Seattle as it seems on this message board or is this just a forum to post on if you want to complain? Will I have to endure constant bitching and negativity about the weather in the winter months living in Seattle?

I've never understood how you can move to a place that is world-renowned for its rain and gray skies and then proceed to complain about the rain and gray skies. Its like moving to Phoenix and complaining that its too hot.
CityGirl is right...People are more comfortable complaining to strangers. In the 4 years I lived in Seattle, I didn't find anyone who complained about the weather. People who grew up there or purposely chose to live in Seattle love it for many reasons. The ones more likely to complain in a public forum like this would be those of us who didn't pick to live in Seattle and other circumstances brought us there (e.g., family relocation, new job, school, etc.).

Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
Hi Gallacus!

I am a fellow Pittsburghers too who has now lived in Seattle for the past year. We are here for 5 years then back to the burgh we go. Anyhow, the people who live out here do not complain about the weather at all. It is a way of life for then, all the complaining I have ever heard is on message boards. It is not something I have ever chatted in person with other people about.

The weather to me is really different from Pittsburgh though, at least not so close as you seem to think it may be. The summers hee are cool, sunny, and do not have the humidity that the burgh has. It barely rains here in the summer, it is such a wonderful place to be in the summer. Snow is nothing like what you are used to either. The snow here is wet unlike to kind there wher you cna make a snowman, plus it only snowed twice here last year..the temps in the winter really don't get cold enough for it to snow. Yes it is rainy and over-cast all fall, winter, & spring long. But so what. We all have choices as to where we live so why complain. We chose to move here so I can't really complain about the weather...to me it actually is a refreshing change since we hate the hot weather.

Good luck and know there are tons of Pittsburghers out here...there are even 2 Steeler bars in my area out here!!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 PM

69 posts, read 345,459 times
I have looked at a lot of the nice photos presented lately. Is it just me, or is no one really smiling on the rainy days, but the summer photos, people tanning, the sun bright, everybody's grinning ear to ear...

(Actually there were these belles, but I have a feeling this photo was staged. )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...le068Small.jpg

Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
actually the worst months are November, December, January and February. During this time there are only 2-3 sunny days per month. In March the weather gets better. The best months are July, August and September. That's the real summer. In May, June and October there are 11-12 sunny (or partly cloudy) and 19-20 cloudy or rainy days. Last year on Christmas (12/25) the weather was sunny and warm (60 degrees). In January 2007 I remember 1 week when it was sunny, but too cold (probably 20 degrees). In April it didn't rain at all during the first 10 days of the month. In May 2007 there was 1 week when the temperature was over 80

Old 09-14-2007, 12:11 PM

223 posts, read 1,275,179 times
Generally, the only people that complain about the weather are transplants. Those of us that grew up here just assume that it is normal to not see the sun for weeks at a time in the winter.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:44 PM

7 posts, read 18,788 times
Default weather complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
Generally, the only people that complain about the weather are transplants. Those of us that grew up here just assume that it is normal to not see the sun for weeks at a time in the winter.
Wythors, I can't say that that's completely true. I hear a LOT of WA natives complain about the rain and dark days. However, I LOVE the rain and cool weather, so perhaps I take more notice to it. (and I'm a transplant!)

Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 33,072 times
Yeah, I was just in Seattle a couple weeks back and I'm returning next week for a job interview hoping to move up ASAP. I did hear people talk about the weather, the complaints were mainly done in a sarcastic sort of way and I didn't get the sense of misery from them. A lot of them that brought it up would then say something like 'but that's why its so beautiful up here' and I agree. You can't have it all, we have warm sunny weather in LA most of the year but that's why the majority of SoCal is a barren desert.....in Seattle it rains but its gorgeous and that to me makes it worth it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

178 posts, read 584,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprock22 View Post
You can't have it all, we have warm sunny weather in LA most of the year but that's why the majority of SoCal is a barren desert.....in Seattle it rains but its gorgeous and that to me makes it worth it.
Only San Francisco has perfect weather. I love the crisp, cool days in the Northwest but concede that I wouldn't mind fewer days without actual rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: