Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
This has to be a first.

Are you also contending that there are no liberal people in the US as well?
Well, you and me are pretty liberal, I would think, so there should be some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM

278 posts, read 636,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Because if the whole country is not liberal, than neither is any of its cities.
I just find this to be an absurd statement.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I just find this to be an absurd statement.
that's fine with me... after reading what you've already posted on the topic.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Quote:
Nowhere in the US is too liberal.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
BS.

I'm not conservative. I'm pretty socially liberal, but some places can indeed be way too liberal. When you start banning large sodas, happy meals, and taking away other personal liberties because YOU think it's in the peoples best interest, you're getting too liberal (I'm looking at you, San Francisco.)
SF didn't ban Happy Meals nor large sodas. I just saw them there four days ago. What they did is limit targeting to children in so many ways.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
You're "pretty" socially liberal? Well, that "pretty" thing (and the rest of your post) explains why you think my previous post is BS. And some of the examples you used in your post may have nothing to do with being liberal?

No, my previous post is not BS. San Francisco (the example of a "too liberal" city in the US that you used in your post) may seem liberal comparing to other US cities, but comparing with other developed world countries (Canada, EU...), NOWHERE in the US is too liberal, SF included.
^This

Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Personally if I were given a choice I could live in Seattle. There's lots of great things to do, things to see, places to hang out, etc.

Define "too liberal."

Would you cringe at naked bike rides? Or people with multiple tattoos and piercings?

I chose against living in Seattle because I could have a very high quality of life, not waste all my waking hours commuting (also: saves gas), and get more house for the money where I am now. Yet I don't see any issues because this is a great community, and if I want Seattle, it's no more than 30 minutes away. 40 if traffic is bad. Tops.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Personally if I were given a choice I could live in Seattle. There's lots of great things to do, things to see, places to hang out, etc.

Define "too liberal."

Would you cringe at naked bike rides? Or people with multiple tattoos and piercings?

I chose against living in Seattle because I could have a very high quality of life, not waste all my waking hours commuting (also: saves gas), and get more house for the money where I am now. Yet I don't see any issues because this is a great community, and if I want Seattle, it's no more than 30 minutes away. 40 if traffic is bad. Tops.
Where do you live that is 30 minutes away from Seattle?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 AM

182 posts, read 323,335 times
Quote:
BS.

I'm not conservative. I'm pretty socially liberal, but some places can indeed be way too liberal. When you start banning large sodas, happy meals, and taking away other personal liberties because YOU think it's in the peoples best interest, you're getting too liberal (I'm looking at you, San Francisco.) There's nothing good about a nanny state. When the government starts deciding what is best for your body, they're getting too liberal. Ironically, liberals are completely against the government getting too involved with sexual health, with birth control, abortion, etc... but they're fine with the government forcing their nutritional laws. Makes no sense. Same concept.

I wouldn't say Seattle is too liberal. You'll find all types of people in the surrounding area, although some liberal aspects of Seattle are incredibly annoying. The only thing that really bugs me is that people are overly PC about everything. You have to be so careful about what you joke about, to the point of ridiculousness. Living in Chicago after Seattle is refreshing because people are more laid back and have a much better sense of humor about those jokes. Which is funny because Seattle is overwhelmingly white. You have to be much careful about everything you say for fear of some Seattleite with vaginitis thinking the offense that they take to what you say actually matters or means something. Horses are sometimes quite high in Seattle.
Huh?? Maybe you're looking at San Francisco, Texas, not San Francisco California. You do know just about anyone can get Marijuana in San Francisco, unlike the majority of the country, don't you chief? Government is reaaally intrusive in San Franciso LOL. Right. Ask one of the hundreds of homeless that walk the streets how intrusive the government is in San Francisco. Most people from the area say the government needs to step it up a little.

I mean, you're seriously talking about San Francisco, California? The place that had entire grid area of the city where public nudity was acceptable until just recently. The place where an entire hill is colonized by wild Parrots. No one is trying to tell anyone what to do in San Francisco dude LOL. I'm there all the time. You do what you want and no one cares. And ironically, the city government cannot get a damn thing done in that city. That's the funny part. Here you are saying personal liberties are being taken away, yet Gavin Newsome can't pass a $5 dollar bond if he tries.

If you don't like a place, the easiest thing to do is avoid it. I'd never say Texas or Oklahoma is too conservative because I'd never live there. It's probably great for some people.

Last edited by NewtoSD?; 07-14-2012 at 02:07 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
no offense, but I haven't really seen "pro business" here in Seattle. Its been more pro Amazon, Starbucks, Microsoft, or Boeing, and thats only because they employ so many people. They get tax breaks, other businesses are made to suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area