Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Isn't Steve Forbes the editor? The guy who ran for president on the flat tax issue? One can only speculate what he thinks is cool. Relative density of urban cowboys?
Oh I'm sure Steve Forbes is the authority on COOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Oakland is cool.
If you enjoy child prostitution, gang violence, side shows and police brutality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
If you enjoy child prostitution, gang violence, side shows and police brutality.

Dramatic posters like you are the worst.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
How does the Oakland crime rate compare with actually cool cities? Don't want to be "dramatic", but facts never hurt.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Assuming a whole city is dangerous because it has criminal hot spots is pretty dramatic. I've spent time in Oakland and couldnt tell any difference between it and any other Ca. city as far as the crime level.

I currently live in Chicago, it has a pretty high crime rate, but that doesn't affect my daily life because I don't hang out in high crime areas.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I lived in Oakland for awhile, and was there at least two or three times a week after I'd moved to SF. If you avoid the nastier parts of West or South Oakland, you'll never get messed with or have trouble. Lake Merritt and the areas around it are totally safe and generally middle class.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Assuming a whole city is dangerous because it has criminal hot spots is pretty dramatic. I've spent time in Oakland and couldnt tell any difference between it and any other Ca. city as far as the crime level.

I currently live in Chicago, it has a pretty high crime rate, but that doesn't affect my daily life because I don't hang out in high crime areas.
Right, because criminals only hang out in high crime areas and only prey on other criminals. Genius!
http://oakland.crimespotting.org/map/

Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 AM

182 posts, read 323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Right, because criminals only hang out in high crime areas and only prey on other criminals. Genius!
Oakland Crimespotting: Map
Yes, your point is accurate. You "could" have issues. Most likely not though if like 415 said, you stear clear of the bad areas. Hell, I went to a rave once and had to stop at a gas station in the Ghetto of Richmond on the way. Only after I asked to use the bathroom did I realize that I was the only white guy there, and to top it off the girls I went with had painted up my nails and sprayed up my hair, which I had totally forgotten about LOL. The answer? "Nah MF we ain't got no bathroom here". No guns or broken bones though.

I worked in downtown Oakland for a couple years, went out to eat, worked out in the gym, walked around the city. Never had a single problem. Not one. The only people that are truly freaked out by Oakland are people that have never been there or the ones that live in the heart of the violence.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
In those crime-ridden cities, do you ever have to drive THROUGH a bad area at night? One other thing: We recently had a huge outburst of crime. People from our "bad areas" came downtown and did some wilding. I almost never go downtown. Have no need or desire most of the time (they've been working on it as an "entertainment" district for years, and now the undesirables can't stay away). But it can be hard to get from one good area to another good area without passing through a really bad one. Altho, people who only drive on freeways do have a point in this regard. Freeways involve no stopping, so even if the freeway goes through a bad area, the chances of encounters are minimal, even if you break down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area