Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it is antiquated, then it needs to be updated. First there needs to be a way to sell this. A maglev monorail, to me, sounds like a very good idea. If places in Snohomish County will say yes to rail transit, it might also say yes to monorail if given the opportunity. However, there needs to be a way to sell this idea. People can come up with all of the maps they want. I could do that. First, the idea has to be sold, then the building might come. Money has to come as well. Bill Gates might be donating millions to charity, but will he donate to monorail. What some billionaire might donate to, there might be other things he or she won't donate to.
You don't get it. WE ALREADY HAVE RAIL COMING TO SNOHOMISH COUNTY. It's already been voted on. We don't need TWO rail systems to the north, and we sure as hell are not going to pay for two. And no, Bill Gates will not donate massive amounts of money to rail, because that is not how he gives away his money. His money goes through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the foundation is dedicated to ridding the world of disease and ignorance...it gives to medical advances and education endeavors.

I get it that you're a rail advocate. Fine. We already have it coming. But you don't know this area at all if you think having two or three distinct rail networks is a good idea or anything that people would be willing to pay for. That type of mentality is what brought us what we have now - a random system of half-built infrastructure that doesn't fully serve our needs. We need ONE system that is built broadly, and that is what Sound Transit is working on. The Sounder train on the Amtrak rails was intended to be a temporary fixer while Light Rail is being built - in the north end anyway - if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
You don't get it. WE ALREADY HAVE RAIL COMING TO SNOHOMISH COUNTY. It's already been voted on. We don't need TWO rail systems to the north, and we sure as hell are not going to pay for two. And no, Bill Gates will not donate massive amounts of money to rail, because that is not how he gives away his money. His money goes through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the foundation is dedicated to ridding the world of disease and ignorance...it gives to medical advances and education endeavors.

I get it that you're a rail advocate. Fine. We already have it coming. But you don't know this area at all if you think having two or three distinct rail networks is a good idea or anything that people would be willing to pay for. That type of mentality is what brought us what we have now - a random system of half-build infrastructure that doesn't fully serve our needs. We need ONE system that is built broadly, and that is what Sound Transit is working on. The Sounder train on the Amtrak rails was intended to be a temporary fixer while Light Rail is being built - in the north end anyway - if you ask me.
I used to live in Everett. I have some familiarity of the area. I just haven't been to the area in years.

And I kind of knew Bill Gates wouldn't donate to monorail. That is why I had a slightly cynical post regarding whether or not he would donate.

One system needed. I'm still trying to brainstorm for ideas to make a system to serve the whole metro area(granted I think differently than most people). The same problem exists where I currently live now.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I lived in the Seattle area as a child many years ago, but I never took the buses. Me and my family used the car, and therefore, never did use transit. I was never given that opportunity to use it.

If no rail will be built close to I-5, then how do we build a north line that won't be prone to such problems such as low ridership?

I tend to get light rail and heavy rail mixed up because I've often thought they were the same thing.

As for the monorail, I'm looking at this from a very "just do it" mentality, mainly because I now live in a metro that has been slow to improve on mass transit. If the plans were way off before, how do we get the trust of the citizens back? If the trust of the people is regained, then things can move on from there. More research needs to be done.
Light Rail IS going to be built along the I-5 corridor to the north of the city. Light Rail is NOT the Sounder. The Sounder is an Amtrak train using Amtrak's tracks. I was saying that there are no plans to build new heavy rail (Amtrak) tracks, nor should there be. The focus for Sound Transit is the Link Light Rail, which it should be. The Central Link is already in place, University Link is being built right now and will open in 2015, North Link and East Link are in final design stage and will open in 2023, and South Link (to Federal Way) is planned and is in the appropriations stage. All of this is public information easily found on the Sound Transit website. Do a little research.

It goes without saying that Seattle is a very different place than when you lived here as a child.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:

If no rail will be built close to I-5, then how do we build a north line that won't be prone to such problems such as low ridership?
Look at this link for LR: Sound Transit Projects: Lynnwood Link Extension and compare to the Sounder (heavy) rail line... The LR Northlink is a lot more centralized, accessible to majority of the population with better schedules that will offer a whole lot runs throughout the day. Not to mention, there won't be worry about mudslides.

Quote:

I tend to get light rail and heavy rail mixed up because I've often thought they were the same thing.

As for the monorail, I'm looking at this from a very "just do it" mentality, mainly because I now live in a metro that has been slow to improve on mass transit. If the plans were way off before, how do we get the trust of the citizens back? If the trust of the people is regained, then things can move on from there. More research needs to be done.
Well... Monorail's out. The effort to put trust back into the monorail is not really worth it... especially when you have light rail that's already proven itself. If anything... if you want to put support behind a Public Transit cause, then the West Seattle-Ballard LR line is the way to go. //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ubway-map.html

Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
One system needed. I'm still trying to brainstorm for ideas to make a system to serve the whole metro area(granted I think differently than most people). The same problem exists where I currently live now.
Do some research on what's already been planned, voted on and appropriated.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Light Rail IS going to be built along the I-5 corridor to the north of the city. Light Rail is NOT the Sounder. The Sounder is an Amtrak train using Amtrak's tracks. I was saying that there are no plans to build new heavy rail (Amtrak) tracks, nor should there be. The focus for Sound Transit is the Link Light Rail, which it should be. The Central Link is already in place, University Link is being built right now and will open in 2015, North Link and East Link are in final design stage and will open in 2023, and South Link (to Federal Way) is planned and is in the appropriations stage. All of this is public information easily found on the Sound Transit website. Do a little research.

It goes without saying that Seattle is a very different place than when you lived here as a child.
Sounder runs on BNSF tracks and is operated by BNSF on behalf of Sound Transit, it has nothing to do with Amtrak...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Oddly enough, Seattle had a chance to build a light rail system 40+ years ago. Voters turned it down in 1968 and then again in 1970. The money the feds had set aside for it they then gave to Atlanta to build MARTA.
Persoanlly, I think that the more public transit options that are available, the better. It doesn't eliminate or even reduce congestion, and I don't think that is or should be the goal. The goal is to give people choices. If I can take the light rail into town, or I can sit in my car on the freeway fighting traffic, I'll take the train.
But in the transit industry, the decisions they make aren't always the best. They go with what's trendy in the industry. They got rid of the waterfront streetcar in Seattle, despite it's very high ridership, because it wasn't new and shiny. Now they've got plans for a modern streetcar network, which will run slowly, in the street, and stop every few blocks. It'll get you where you're going, but barely above walking speed. It's more of an economic engine for the businesses in an area than a practical transportation choice, but it's trendy. The waterfront streetcar had exclusive right of way along the waterfront and made some pretty good time once north of the Pike Place Market/ Aquarium. But it's not trendy, and it's maintenance shed was demolished to make way for the sculpture park. But that's trendy. And it's parent, the Seattle Art Museum, was run at the time by Bill Gates's stepmom. People with that kind of money tend to get what they want, despite what the wishes of most of the citizens. Don't get me started.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Don't get me started.
Preach it, Ira500!!
Some interesting facts for sure. I never had a chance to ride the waterfront streetcar.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Preach it, Ira500!!
Some interesting facts for sure. I never had a chance to ride the waterfront streetcar.
It was cute, and convenient. It probably would have been ripped up by now anyway because of the Viaduct construction. But I hope they consider bringing it back once the new waterfront is complete.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Sounder runs on BNSF tracks and is operated by BNSF on behalf of Sound Transit, it has nothing to do with Amtrak...
Right, but it runs on the same tracks as Amtrak. My point was it's old fashioned heavy rail, not light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area