Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 16,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
AMEN TO THAT!!! I don't think people understand or even know the concept of "left lane is for passing".
Another AMEN to this. Drives me insane.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb18 View Post
The reason the Seattle Freeze keeps getting brought back up and caused 5 different conversation threads to start is because it is still very real. The Seattle culture is cliquish, aloof, introverted and not very friendly. It is NOT the same at all in other big cities. It's a bit of a shock to the 40,000 (according to the census) new people who moved here in the last 10 years, because they KNOW this is not normal in other big cities in America. It is sad, really. If cities had a "friendliness quotient," I think Seattle would be one of the lowest in the world.
Yeah I think this is true. Over and over people say this about seattle.

I am sorry if this seems like a shameless plug, but I thought this might be the most relevant place to bring this up, also might be relevant to those people that are feeling the seattle freeze.

Anyways here we go: I am a local seattlelite and I'm working on a site to help people who encounter the seattle freeze to meet other people who like the same things that they do. Our main goal is to get people off the computer and meeting in real life.

You can check the site out at Urbandipity
It will be launching on April 6 but you can create a post now

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback, or if this is the wrong place to put this -_-.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:06 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I went through this thread to look at some of the posts. I found a post mentioned someone talking out of the blue, and then responding in short answers out of a politeness/making the other person take a hint and leave. It is post #920. Sometimes I do that. I have done that alot.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajpoj View Post
Yeah I think this is true. Over and over people say this about seattle.

I am sorry if this seems like a shameless plug, but I thought this might be the most relevant place to bring this up, also might be relevant to those people that are feeling the seattle freeze.

Anyways here we go: I am a local seattlelite and I'm working on a site to help people who encounter the seattle freeze to meet other people who like the same things that they do. Our main goal is to get people off the computer and meeting in real life.

You can check the site out at Urbandipity
It will be launching on April 6 but you can create a post now

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback, or if this is the wrong place to put this -_-.
Great idea, and more power to you

I definitely believe in the Seattle Freeze and certainly experienced it; I always knew there were plenty of people in Seattle who I most likely would have gotten along swimmingly with, it's just that I didn't know where they were, and beyond that, after a certain point, I think both parties concerned somewhat expect the situation to fall into the norms of politeness that ends quickly.

Good luck with your project and hope that you can get some people integrated into the social scene.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM

46 posts, read 129,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post

1. Since so many transplants end up moving away after a short while, perhaps the residents don't make much of an effort to become friends with people who may only move away?
I'll be honest here. I like to believe that I am not "frozen", but I do admit a certain amount of reluctance to befriending people who are brand new to the area. I question whether the time invested in this new friendship will pay off in a long-term friendship, or if this lonely newcomer isn't that fond of me and is hanging out with me just long enough to find people he really likes here. Might sound unkind, but I've seen it happen. Maybe some others feel this way?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Great idea, and more power to you

I definitely believe in the Seattle Freeze and certainly experienced it; I always knew there were plenty of people in Seattle who I most likely would have gotten along swimmingly with, it's just that I didn't know where they were, and beyond that, after a certain point, I think both parties concerned somewhat expect the situation to fall into the norms of politeness that ends quickly.

Good luck with your project and hope that you can get some people integrated into the social scene.

Hey, Thanks for the support! There are a lot of people out there that have said the same thing that you have and we hope to help the situation!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
OK, suppose you tell us what you mean by 'Seattle Freeze'. I've lived in Seattle well over 50 years and the problem with 'Seattle Freeze' has never been a serious problem. It's the RAIN that's the really serious problem. Are you saying there has been flame wars over Seattle freezing which is mute since we don't get much of it ?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
OK, suppose you tell us what you mean by 'Seattle Freeze'. I've lived in Seattle well over 50 years and the problem with 'Seattle Freeze' has never been a serious problem. It's the RAIN that's the really serious problem. Are you saying there has been flame wars over Seattle freezing which is mute since we don't get much of it ?
Vinylly,
The Seattle freeze isn't referring to the weather. The freeze refers to the lack of friendliness that some people say Seattle puts out. If you believe that the Seattle freeze exists, you believe that Seattle folks, for the most part, are quiet, kind of reserved, and don't go out of their way to make newcomers feel welcome.
Folks from the south are famous for being friendly. Folks from New York City are famous for being " in your face". Seattle people have the reputation for being introverts, not reaching out to the new neighbors, keep to themselves, etc. I don't know if it's true or not. I've been here almost 35 years and I don't have a ton of friends, but I'm kind of introverted and quiet. Maybe Seattle attracts those types.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 AM

228 posts, read 687,110 times
I've been living in Seattle for nearly a year now and have experienced the "Seattle freeze" quite often. It is difficult to make friends in this city. People are generally polite, but tend to exist in their own little bubbles. Status ($$) seem to be a big factor as well. Many people tend to stick their noses up at others in an "I'm better than you" way. The few friends and acquaintances I've made have been transplants like myself. It defenitly isn't one of the friendliest cities around. My 2 cents.

Joe

Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 AM

8 posts, read 17,327 times
Default East Side Freeze vs West Side Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I've been living in Seattle for nearly a year now and have experienced the "Seattle freeze" quite often. It is difficult to make friends in this city. People are generally polite, but tend to exist in their own little bubbles. Status ($$) seem to be a big factor as well. Many people tend to stick their noses up at others in an "I'm better than you" way. The few friends and acquaintances I've made have been transplants like myself. It defenitly isn't one of the friendliest cities around. My 2 cents.

Joe
I lived in Seattle in 2007 and had the same impression that Joe is having now. I was a transplant from the midwest (Wisconsin) and I had lived in Texas and abroad in East Asia before arriving in Seattle.

I was really surprised to see how many Seattloids (transplants themselves) were not down to earth at all. The East Side (Bellevue) seemed to be mostly upper-class snotty types who valued status, as Joe states, while much of Seattle proper seemed to be the hipster types that were equally as snotty because they were so proud of themselves for living in the city and dressing sloppily, and they looked down upon anyone who did not do likewise.

Both sides, East and West, had their own kind of 'freeze'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area