Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM

64 posts, read 216,210 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at 2 new construction townhomes. One is in Talus and the other Snoqualmie Ridge. They are both nice and in my budget. The one in Snoqualmie is nicer - family room and living room, nice patio, upgrades, etc. The Talus one is smaller but has nice features like granite countertops, etc. The Talus one has pretty much no patio space, small living room and no fireplace. But it is still nice.

I really like the Snoqualmie one better, but I am wondering if the Talus one is a better investment over time b/c it is in Issaquah? In the end, both would be ok for me. Commute is not an issue. I am looking into new construction b/c I am a single mom and the idea of not having to deal with any major repairs anytime soon really appeals to me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Personally, in your position I would go for the Snoqualmie townhome because you like it more. If this is to be your home for 5-10+ years (just an assumption) than make sure it's a home that will suite your needs and desires. Both areas will appreciate... how much does it matter to you that one might be at a slower than the other... does that mean losing the fireplace, porch and sq. ft in the living room? I live in the Issaquah Highlands and I have a neighbor that will be selling her home to move to Snoqualmie... she thinks it's a nicer (whatever that means; I think it's nice enough here..)... she's also interested in upgrading into new construction as her home is one of the oldest in IH. We considered Snoqualmie ourselves before we bought last year... I love the view of the Cascades and the remoteness... on the other hand most of what I need is only a couple miles down the road (and soon, just walking distance with Grand Ridge Plaza opening! Yay!!!). My husband also has a long commute. In the end it wasn't for us. Snoqualmie appears to have a lot of development so if truly it's ONLY the appreciation value that is bugging you I would go with it.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Oh, I'm sure you know this already but but there are new townhomes here in Issaquah Highlands too. I think they are small (especially the living rooms!) and the windows are small... but just in case you didn't know of them... the real advantage to them is the proximity to the new movie theater and retail.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks for your input, Saucermom! I also looked in the IH, but the real estate I can afford there looks more like an apartment to me rather than a townhome or condo. I used to be all anti-new construction, but now the practical side of me is definitely coming around. Ten years ago I owned an old property with "character," and the repairs and upgrades were really stressful!

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Two things that affect appreciation the most are the quality of schools and the distance for commuting to job centers. Issaquah takes it in both cases, but the difference is not enough to prevent you from going to Snoqualmie Ridge if you want to be happy with your home. Selling it you don't have to worry about for years and things can change by then. It is windier and colder in winter up there, and I would suggest detailed research into the schools you would be using.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Yes, the school thing is always complicated. I used to work for public schools, and I am constantly going back and forth as to what really constitutes a good school. I have seen terrible teachers in high achieving schools and stellar ones in low achieving schools. I don't know. Definitely something I need to research. Any new construction area I choose will probably have the over crowding issue...

One more thing: How much worse is the weather in Snoqualmie vs Talus? they both seem liker higher elevations?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
They are both up high, but the closer you are to the Cascades the colder and more snow you get. Not a big deal if you are not commuting, but in snow or the freezing fog/black ice we have had every morning for over a week now, that stretch between North Bend and Issaquah can be nasty.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Ugghh...I do drive to Seattle and Bellevue for work a few times a week. The black ice thing scares me...especially with my puny little Prius.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
One of my best friends lives on the Ridge and I live in Sammamish and they definitely get nastier weather up there in the winter months. Winds blow harder and they will get snow when we get nothing. That being said, I think you would like the community in Snoqualmie Ridge. Very warm and friendly community. They do have some school issues though. Last few bonds have been voted down and they desperately need expansion. A few of my friends have decided to put their kids in private school (St Joe's in Issaquah) as they are so tired of the education issues.

Here are a few links to past school issues.

Education | Crowded Snoqualmie Valley schools push pared-back bond issue | Seattle Times Newspaper

Snoqualmie Valley School Board Challengers Share Their Big Change | Living Snoqualmie

Snoqualmie Valley Public Schools: News & Publications

'No' votes way up in second Snoqualmie Valley Schools bond attempt - seattlepi.com

Contrast that with Issaquah School District which is vibrant and healthy and one of the best in the state.

Building the Future for Students

Community Report: Finances

But you are right that individual schools that your kids attend will be the deciding point and the schools that those in the Ridge attend are generally very high performing.

I think you will be "happy" in both places so go with your gut feel. I would check out the builders a little more carefully in the Ridge. I think Quadrant is not the best to go with.

Suit claims widespread health risks in Quadrant homes | KING5.com Seattle

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreentori View Post
Thanks for your input, Saucermom! I also looked in the IH, but the real estate I can afford there looks more like an apartment to me rather than a townhome or condo. I used to be all anti-new construction, but now the practical side of me is definitely coming around. Ten years ago I owned an old property with "character," and the repairs and upgrades were really stressful!
YES. Our first home was a "charming" 1947 cape cod that hadn't been upgraded in 25 years... never. ever. again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area