Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,202 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about Newcastle? It was thrown out there to us as an alternative to West Bellevue and MI but I'm a bit nervous about a few things. First is commute to lower Queen Anne, second are the schools. Reviews from parents seem favorable but I see several mentions of having the least desirable schools for Issaquah, some going private altogether, resale issues, proximity to Renton etc. I'd happily be in a smaller house in a better district if there is really something undesirable about it. Also the taxes seemed quite higher than other areas. Do you get anything for that? We're looking in the $1m range. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
There are some beautiful houses in Newcastle, and the proximity to hiking trails is great. The commute to Queen Anne might be a bit of a pain. As far as schools, proximity to Renton, and resale issues, I don't think they're a huge concern. No place is perfect. Mercer Island schools are perceived as snooty and cliquish, Newport High is criticized as being an academic pressure cooker. I've heard really good things about Newcastle's schools. Parts of Newcastle are pretty rural, so the schools will have some rural/hillbilly types which might lower the overall test scores compared to other schools in the Issaquah district. Some professional athletes (Seahawks and Mariners) live in Newcastle.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Ugh...Is Bellevue HS or Issaquah HS any better? Where do normal, not snooty, non-hyper competitive professionals live to get a decent commute downtown, then?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Where do normal, not snooty, non-hyper competitive professionals live to get a decent commute downtown, then?
In Seattle.

If I were you and I didn't want "hyper competitive" schools, I'd buy a cute little house in upper Queen Anne or Magnolia. Totally possible in your high price range.

Last edited by seattlenextyear; 03-07-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM

What elementary, middle and high schools would we be looking at? We have 3 kids so I kind of dismissed Seattle public schools assuming they were not as good or well funded as the east side.

Do kids play in the streets there? We come from a kids all play in the street cul de sac filled with relatively young kids and definitely want to stay in that environment.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times
Ok, so you want good schools, but not TOO good. You want a $1 Million house, but not in a snooty neighborhood. You want to be close to work but want to remain in the suburbs. You want porridge that's warm but not too hot.

I guess if you don't mind the commute, I'd suggest Sammamish. I think kids there play in the street and whatnot. The schools are good but not AMAZING. And people are more laid back than in Bellevue.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I agree with Sammamish, and not just because I live there. You can find some nice homes in the Windsor Greens area, less than 10 years old that will fit your budget, with great schools and kids do play in the street plus you have the great hiking trails of Soaring Eagle Park.
You can also buy new in Sammamish for under $880k-1m, but the homes, while big are on smaller lots.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,990 times
Sammamish is gonna be a much longer commute than Newcastle, IMO.

I dont' know what everyone's definition of what a "good" school is - is it reputation? Quality of kids? Quality of teachers? Racial makeup? Is it what the internet says? What some ranking on US News web site/magazine says?

IMO, it starts with parenting, if you are on your kids about their homework and grades, and you are involved in their day-to-day activites/lives instead of letting them lock theirself in their room with their ipad/ipod/blackberry or whatever electronics it is nowadays, your kid(s) will do just fine. Trust me, you go to Newport High in Bellevue, they have their fair share of drug issues and social pecking order. If anyone still thinks it's still something else, then do yourself a favor - take some time out of your day, and go visit the school - talk to the principal, teachers, and kids parents. In fact, the district's Board of Education would have some good info as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
Sammamish is gonna be a much longer commute than Newcastle, IMO.

I dont' know what everyone's definition of what a "good" school is - is it reputation? Quality of kids? Quality of teachers? Racial makeup? Is it what the internet says? What some ranking on US News web site/magazine says?

IMO, it starts with parenting, if you are on your kids about their homework and grades, and you are involved in their day-to-day activites/lives instead of letting them lock theirself in their room with their ipad/ipod/blackberry or whatever electronics it is nowadays, your kid(s) will do just fine. Trust me, you go to Newport High in Bellevue, they have their fair share of drug issues and social pecking order. If anyone still thinks it's still something else, then do yourself a favor - take some time out of your day, and go visit the school - talk to the principal, teachers, and kids parents. In fact, the district's Board of Education would have some good info as well.
This this this. Seriously, a "great school" is only going to take you so far. All the schools in the Issaquah, Bellevue and Mercer Island school districts are outstanding. But how smart is your kid, how much do they push themselves, and how much do you encourage them? Just being real. Those are the bigger factors when it comes to performance, because all of these schools will deliver the same solid foundation of good teachers, voters who pass funding, and educated parents. The school itself can't do ALL the work.

And to the poster who said the normal, non-snooty people live in Seattle...? Get real! These days most of the snobs I know live in Seattle and completely turn their nose up to the Eastside. Nevermind that most of them haven't crossed the Lake in five years and have no idea what they're missing. Maybe they think that skyline rising up to the east is just East Seattle?

OP, you have a ton of options. I think you're going to need to drive around and decide which of the communities you've asked about you like the most. But I don't think you need to be concerned about schools in Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, Sammamish or Newcastle.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,527,368 times
Here's another option if you want to explore another cute town with great schools (Shoreline School District): Lake Forest Park. Reminds me a lot of Beaux Arts in the Enatai neighborhood of Bellevue. Lots of trees, and some really beautiful historic homes. With your budget you could get a beauty, or possibly even a Lake view home. Check in the Sheridan Beach, Sheridan Heights neighborhoods there.

ETA: Check out this house with a killer Lake Washington view and private beach access that you could have in Lake Forest Park for $700k asking. http://www.redfin.com/WA/Lake-Forest...155/home/92169
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area