Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM

872 posts, read 2,030,225 times

Advertisements

I know this project isn't popular and has taken a longggg time (still is), but, just a random idea: do you think this new underground tunnel and the demolition of the old tunnel would significantly improve the appearance of downtown Seattle (and the waterfront)?

I mean, they are destroying about a mile or so of an overlapping, old concrete highway that currently hinders view of Seattle.

Although, it's too bad that they aren't going to make the new highway 3 lanes each way, that's a bummer.

Just thinking about it, though, I have no idea how they are going to demolish that old thing.

On some other positive notes:

-By 2020, the aquarium is going to get a huge upgrade, probably making it one of the better ones in the country (it is pretty sad right now for a pacific city).

-Pike Place Market is going to get some nice additions

-Improved foot traffic ways

Last edited by RunTheDistance476; 04-12-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM

173 posts, read 225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I know this project isn't popular and has taken a longggg time (still is), but, just a random idea: do you think this new underground tunnel and the demolition of the old tunnel would significantly improve the appearance of downtown Seattle (and the waterfront)?
For those who only drive along the viaduct--which is prone to collapse in the next major earthquake--it might not be an improvement. For anyone else, especially those who like to get out of their cars and walk along the waterfront and who currently have a constant din of traffic noise and an ugly stained hunk of concrete to detract from the experience, the new plans look great. Many Seattleites "cringe" when anything in the city is deemed "world-class" as if good for some other city, but not for us, as if we don't deserve better. But I think this project will be a huge improvement.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I work on the waterfront, and dread the mess that's coming in the next couple of years that will be far worse than we've seen so far. I am actually involved somewhat and am aware of the removal process. Most of it won't be any more difficult than the parts already down, just have to deal with a few obstacles like the skybridge under it at Lenora. The views from the old viaduct are great for commuters, and will be missed when it changes to concrete walls.

I suspect that much of the real beautification part of this project along Alaskan Way is going to be deferred for several years due to lack of funds. With the tunnel tolls, I expect the surface streets and I5 to become much more congested than they are already. The seawall replacement project is starting now too, glad I'm taking the bus now and can avoid the mess other than walking to the transit tunnel.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
I think building anything with state money in the I-5 corridor without spend funds to improve other parts of the state highway system is immoral. Spending a zillion dollars of my tax money on on/off ramps every mile on I-5 or this tunnel projects pandering to the liberal votes and ignoring other highway projects that only gets talked about is political pandering.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Despite how some my feel, that viaduct should have been torn down a long time ago. Anyone who's seen pictures of the Cypress Viaduct after Loma Prieta and is still against tearing down the Alaskan Way viaduct is using a thought process far beyond my comprehension skills.

Also, I think the planning of the alternative is good. Better than what San Fracisco did after it tore down it's Embarcadero Viaduct in 1992. No tunnel or anything was ever built to replace it. It was a straght shot to get from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate. Now you have to drive through the city taking an additional 20 minutes or more.

I think Seattle's water front will look much better after having seen the improvements of having two of those Viadutcs removed.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I think building anything with state money in the I-5 corridor without spend funds to improve other parts of the state highway system is immoral. Spending a zillion dollars of my tax money on on/off ramps every mile on I-5 or this tunnel projects pandering to the liberal votes and ignoring other highway projects that only gets talked about is political pandering.
I-5 in King County needs a major pavement improvement. The roads in Eastern Washington and the peninsula are in way better condition than the roads in King County and I-5 is one of the most important roads in the state if not the most important.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Yeah, the mess downtown is going to be bad for the next 5+ years, but I think for safety and beauty reasons, this is the right thing to do. I-5 in Seattle is pretty bad, though...but I thought that they have panel replacement projects scheduled for the next 1.5 years to basically replace a good portion of the road in Seattle.

I am excited, along with the waterfront project, aquarium project, etc. (and possibly a new NBA arena, which Im sure will be surrounded by new developments) we are honestly truly blessed to have these projects being planned and thought of. Sure they cost tax dollars, but would you rather everything just become a slum like a large portion of American cities?

Also the light rail project (or whatever it is called) That will link Bellevue to Seattle is going to be awesome. I'd love to be able to ride that into the city (or into Bellevue, depending on where I decide to live at the time). I really do support all of these projects.

If only we can get those d@mn pontoons figured out and that bridge is completed, Seattle is going to be looking good in 2020.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 PM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I-5 in King County needs a major pavement improvement. The roads in Eastern Washington and the peninsula are in way better condition than the roads in King County and I-5 is one of the most important roads in the state if not the most important.
So it to hell with the rest of the state and worry only about the I-5 speeder having a good shot at making it home in time to drink another beer in front of the TV. Got ya!

I hate it being a shock to you but the roads on the Peninsula are not in great shape. Port Angeles is a very good example of poor state planning.

I-5 is only important to people who live there, its totally over the top to those who live in other parts of the state.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Rantiquity, it should do you good to remember that near 70-80% of all WA residents live within 70 miles of Seattle.

That is where the taxes come from and that is also where the most issues exist. The viaduct is a major concern for Seattle and it has to be dealt with.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Most people are in favor of the viaduct coming down. I'm not one of them. Maybe it never should have been built in the first place, and of course it needed to be earthquake retrofitted, but that could have been done for 1/4th of what they're spending for the tunnel. The tunnel will actually reduce capacity over the eiting viaduct, there will be less access to it( downtown exits will disappear) and it will require a toll. Right now, as long as you're in a vehicle, you'll get those amazing views from it. The tunnel, with no views, is something you'll have to pay for. You can bet they'll be building all kinds of expensive apartments and condos so that only wealthy people will have those views.
It's true that roads all over the state need work. That there's all kinds of road work needed all over the state, and that people aren't fond of increased taxes.
The tunnel is going to happen, and I'll get used to it. But it's only going to make traffic worse, with tolls and less capacity, more people will switch to other roads, making them more congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area