Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 24,291 times

Advertisements

My husband has several interviews in the coming week with companies in the Bellevue area. He's Java Developer. We're currently living in Tampa, FL (but originally from Los Angeles).

If he accepts a job out there, our plan is for me to stay here for a few weeks with the kids, while he begins work/finds us a rental house, etc. We have 5 kids under the age of 10 (homeschooled, so schools aren't really a factor) but I need some suggestions on where to start the housing search.

We're very liberal, and I've heard Bellevue can be more Conservative. (I've spent the last 2 years in the south...I NEED to be in a Liberal/hippie area!) We'd like a walkable area if possible, and we'd like to keep rent around $2500/mo for a 4bd if that's possible. Obviously we want somewhere safe, and my 3yo has epilepsy so we need easy access to a hospital in case that's needed. (So no Vashon Island!)

I haven't been to Seattle before, and my husband will have a few weeks to search once here's there, but if you could help point me towards a starting place, that would be great!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times
There are 4 bedroom rentals in the $2500 range though some areas are more competitive than others If you're looking at the Eastside (what we call the East side of Lake Washington) you would likely be interested Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah or for a slightly lower cost, Bothell. Bellevue has Overlake Hospital and Kirkland has Evergreen Hospital. Eastside cities can be more expensive but prices can vary depending on location adjustments such as in Bellevue there's Newport Hills, Factoria and Crossroads all have lower prices compared to other Bellevue area. Issaquah has Klahanie, Kirkland, the Juanita area is less and in Redmond, well, Redmond is pretty consistently mid-range to higher. The closer you are to the bridges, 520 and 90, the easier his commute will be because jobs change and close-in is always the better long term bet. This matters less if you're renting but keep it in mind if you look to buy down the road.

The Seattle metro is very beautiful, especially this time of year, but coming from Tampa, you may find the drizzle in the winter affects your mood. It does some people. The rest of us don't mind it a bit because it keeps everything green and lush.

As for the Eastside being conservative, there are very few on the Eastside that could be called conservative to the level of the South. There are not even that many that are conservative, just maybe more conservative than Seattle which is quite liberal. I've lived on the Eastside for the better part of 20 years and don't know many if any. If they are, it's usually about one particular issue and they vote liberal on everything else. As you know, gay marriage and marijuana were both made legal in Washington State and it was by voter choice. Conservatives of the more classic variety are on in Eastern Washington, mostly bordering Idaho and I've heard there's more in Vancouver (Southern WA, not Canada).

Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 AM

458 posts, read 959,581 times
Move to Seattle if you really want to be able to walk and want an obvious liberal, hippie vibe. I would say Phinney Ridge, Green Lake, Wallingford, Fremont, Parts of Greenwood and Ballard are all neighborhoods that have what you are looking for and then some. Our local organic food coop is PCC and in some of the neighborhoods mentioned above you can walk to the grocery store for a snack for the kids or to get a few things. I live in Phinney and walk to everything including all of my daughters after school activities, the zoo, child friendly coffee shops, the bookstore for children's story time, restaurants and PCC.

There are active Waldorf home schooling groups in Seattle and I think you will find a community of very like minded people in the city.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I agree, Bellevue is only slightly more conservative than other Seattle area cities, but you won't find a hippie vibe there at all. That would be limited pretty much to Seattle, certain areas like mentioned in the last post. I think that lifestyle has mostly moved to Portland. I think you would probably like Issaquah or North Bend but if looking in Bellevue try Lake Hills and Crossroads/Eastgate area for the more affordable homes.

Here's a good article on eastside conservatism:

Best of 2012: Eastside politics: 50 shades of blue? | Crosscut.com

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times
Thanks Hemlock, when I clicked it opened to the second page, here's the first page :Best of 2012: Eastside politics: 50 shades of blue? | Crosscut.com

Testing to see if it does the same thing to me

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,348 times
Wallingford and Fremont++

They both have that hippie vibe, are safe, very walkable, charming (lots of little shops, restaurants, good grocery stores and amenities) and not a terrible commute to the eastside.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM

12 posts, read 24,291 times
Awesome! Fremont looks like exactly what I want...the price for rentals is a little higher than I was hoping, but otherwise it seems perfect. Thanks so much for the input!! I'd love any other info on Fremont specifically if anyone lives in the area.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenners26 View Post
Awesome! Fremont looks like exactly what I want...the price for rentals is a little higher than I was hoping, but otherwise it seems perfect. Thanks so much for the input!! I'd love any other info on Fremont specifically if anyone lives in the area.
This entire region has rental prices higher than people hope for, but Fremont is actually not that bad compared to some other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area