Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here in Canada - pedestrians have the right of way no matter what. A human body is no match for a car when they collide. Our laws state that a person on foot is to be respected by drivers at all times no matter what...This law is in place so drivers don't run down people like stray dogs...When I am crossing the street- I never let a car push me around....I stroll...I never run...once you run you are on the run...a pedestrian must hold their ground - if not..Drivers get the idea that you are expendable...I was surprise that you were surprised that pedestrians in some places have more rights than cars....I should hope so...to have the reverse - then people would be in a constant state of being vehicular prey...
Southern California is the exact opposite of Canada. In San Diego, that behavior can get you killed. One thing I love about where I live now as well as Seattle is that crossing the street is a lot safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneystone32 View Post
I moved to Seattle a few years ago from the Southeast. I've lived in 10 states growing up, having lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando, etc... I've never encountered a city where the pedestrians actually have more right-of-way than cars.

I understand Washington has a law that cars must come to a stop when pedestrians are "within" a crosswalk, but it's more like if a driver even senses someone might cross the street, they'll slam on the brakes in the middle of a busy street. It's crazy to me! Ever heard the old saying your parents taught you, "Look both ways before crossing the street?" That doesn't apply in Seattle. People just walk right out into the street without looking and expect all cars to come to a screeching halt. Any other major city like New York of Chicago, those same people would get run over.

I think the pedestrian law causes more accidents than it's preventing from cars getting rear-ended when someone darts out into the street.

Any thoughts?
Seattle is encouraging transportation modes other than cars, including walking and biking. Also, it's a congested city and there have been pedestrian and biking deaths. I agree though, sometimes it's really difficult to tell when someone is going to cross the street. Pedestrians sometimes give off an air of entitlement. It would help if they were more clear with cars sometimes, so that drivers know their intentions.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
I don't find Seattle to be particularly pedestrian-friendly, having lived in Chicago and New York City. Yes, cars do stop, but the other infrastructure in place is far behind what other US cities have. When I moved here, I was definitely surprised at how willing drivers are to stop for pedestrians, but I was also disappointed in the lack of built-in features that cater to pedestrians. For instance, when you walk up to an intersection, you often have to push that stupid signal button and wait 5 minutes for the light to change. I usually end up jaywalking in the meantime. Larger cities generally just have automatic walk signs.

All in all, I don't think Seattle is a bad city to be a pedestrian, but I also don't think it's exceptionally pedestrian-friendly at all.

I always try to make eye contact with approaching drivers as I cross the street in any city. Once you've made eye contact with someone, they're far less likely to run you over.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Here in Canada - pedestrians have the right of way no matter what. A human body is no match for a car when they collide. Our laws state that a person on foot is to be respected by drivers at all times no matter what...
This. And, it is law throughout the US, but you wouldn't know it throughout much of it.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Seattle is encouraging transportation modes other than cars, including walking and biking. Also, it's a congested city and there have been pedestrian and biking deaths. I agree though, sometimes it's really difficult to tell when someone is going to cross the street. Pedestrians sometimes give off an air of entitlement. It would help if they were more clear with cars sometimes, so that drivers know their intentions.
They are entitled to safe passage of a roadway, yes.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Having also grown up in the Southeast, I find it refreshing to not be treated like a second class citizen or sub-human just because I'm not in a car.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I wish San Diego was more like this. Some days I can't tell if I am riding in SD or TJ, Mexico.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I wish San Diego was more like this. Some days I can't tell if I am riding in SD or TJ, Mexico.
^ Like I said LOL

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba_yaga View Post
Pedestrians aren't some alien race. We're just people who happen to not be in cars. And Seattle is great for walking!
say what? it's all hills?

Yeah,No "South Park" - YouTube

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

323 posts, read 449,047 times
Walking around downtown I notice that tourists walk against red lights at a much higher rate than locals, especially at the new all-way intersection at 1st and University. It's notable how rarely I hear a driver honk at blatant jay walkers. Seattle pedestrians are good at not walking against a red but not so good about not starting across when the orange man blinks. That's when cars are supposed to have an opportunity to turn.

The last time I was in NYC was the worst pedestrian disregard for the red light I've ever seen. Almost everyone was walking against red unless a car was coming, then they'd still be out on the street leaving just enough space for the car to get through then continue there hurried walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area