Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinePlaneVolume View Post
Not a bad point, but if you compare the 2, both modern looking externally, that Queen Anne one is a brand new, modern showcase home. Someone paid out the nose for that, indeed, but compare the kitchens of the 2, and I would say the Seattle one is a much higher level in terms of fit and finish. I'm not saying it was a smart buy, but somebody wanted the flashy model home and paid dearly for it. Aaaand, that West LA property sold in 2012. The prices in LA have gone on an upward frenzy since then and I wouldn't be surprised if that same place would now sell for maybe well north of $800k, which is clearly insane. Either way, I think this example is more the exception than the rule. Move a little North to Ballard and Shoreline and we're still talking West LA equivalent for a lot less. Queen Anne is probably more comparable to Santa Monica. I see places pending in the near north areas of Seattle... perfectly nice townhomes for under $350k. There's no way in hell you're finding anything like that in West LA. I wish it weren't the case.
I agree the Seattle one is nicer, but as others have said the discount is more like 30% less, not 50% less. I dunno about $350K for a "perfectly nice" townhome. That's more like what you'd find directly on a busy road in Crown Hill or Greenwood. In Ballard, only 5 TH's have sold under $350K in the past 6 months, and they're small 2 bed units generally on a busy road, not the nice ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 52,325 times
Well, I admit my knowledge only comes from a few weeks of searching online, but having looked through LA for the last 12 months, it's slim pickings here. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I may actually be able to live within 5-7 miles of downtown Seattle and not completely strangle myself with home debt. But, I may soon find the truth to that wish if I do end up moving up there from LA. Anyway, I appreciate your input.

This is just one I cherry-picked this second, and it's certainly not a top pick, but this is along the lines of what I was running across.
http://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/652...-A/home/166017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I agree the Seattle one is nicer, but as others have said the discount is more like 30% less, not 50% less. I dunno about $350K for a "perfectly nice" townhome. That's more like what you'd find directly on a busy road in Crown Hill or Greenwood. In Ballard, only 5 TH's have sold under $350K in the past 6 months, and they're small 2 bed units generally on a busy road, not the nice ones.

Last edited by LinePlaneVolume; 08-19-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM

427 posts, read 431,551 times
Cost of living in Washington State is generally cheaper than California. But Washington State is slowly turning into a California. That is not a compliment.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinePlaneVolume View Post
Well, I admit my knowledge only comes from a few weeks of searching online, but having looked through LA for the last 12 months, it's slim pickings here. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I may actually be able to live within 5-7 miles of downtown Seattle and not completely strangle myself with home debt. But, I may soon find the truth to that wish if I do end up moving up there from LA. Anyway, I appreciate your input.

This is just one I cherry-picked this second, and it's certainly not a top pick, but this is along the lines of what I was running across.
6523 24th Ave NW Unit A, Seattle, WA 98117 | MLS# 507633 | Redfin
I haven't been in that style townhome, but I've noticed they're not quick to sell. It's highly unusual that something would sit on the market in that price range right in that area. Something is wrong with that place, and I kind of doubt it's because it's on 24th. Plenty of more expensive places sell quickly even if they're right on 24th or 65th.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 AM

164 posts, read 430,445 times
It's right on a very large and busy street. The yard is in front next to the street. The neighborhood is mostly apartment buildings and not very attractive ones.

The townhouse also looks like it was built in the 90s and not updated since then.

I think it's still a little pricey, probably will sell at $20k less.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would consider that to be likely, because LA has a lot more inexpensive homes in sketchy/ghetto neighborhoods that bring down their average. If you compare apples to apples, such as a nice older 2,500 sf home in a desirable neighborhood on a 5,000 sf lot, you will see a difference closer to 30% higher in LA ($700k vs 500k).
I think that's fair. There are huge areas in LA that I wouldn't live in that would drag down that average and conversely, few areas in Seattle that I couldn't live. For me personally, the income tax is a huge cost that I don't want to bear as I work internationally as a Consultant and can live anywhere.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

195 posts, read 377,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Yet when you look at properties that actually sold recently, it's not that much different:

3bed, 3.5 bath 1935 sq ft contemporary town home in West LA actually sold for $710K
11763 IOWA Ave #1, Los Angeles, CA 90025 | MLS# 12-615089 | Redfin

2bed, 2 bath 1854 sq ft contemporary town home in Queen Anne actually sold for $799K
315 W Galer St #103, Seattle, WA 98119 | MLS# 463986 | Redfin

That's one of the problems with using asking prices for stale listings when doing a comparison. Who knows what the actual price will be - all you've established is the property hasn't sold for the price listed.
Prices in general (for "nice/reasonable" places) are MUCH higher in LA. I lived there for 16 years and saw it first-hand.

Sure, you can find places here in Seattle that are more than LA (Queen Anne, Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue etc)

However, picking a single listing doesn't give an overall picture.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,547 times
Quote:
Cost of living in Washington State is generally cheaper than California. But Washington State is slowly turning into a California. That is not a compliment.
Correction:
Seattle is slowly turning into Los Angeles.
The rest of Washington state is fine. Seattle is already an LA-lite, slowly but surely on the way to become LA-North.

Tom McCall was an Oregon governor, who once gained fame by addressing Californians "Please come to visit, but don't stay"
But there is good news for you: once the population of Seattle metro reaches 5 or 6 million, the Californians will stop moving in. Seattle will be very much as LA - same smog, traffic, prices, overcrowding, but sans the sun and palm trees. No point for anyone to move here anymore.

Last edited by skiffrace; 08-20-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Correction:
Seattle is slowly turning into Los Angeles.
The rest of Washington state is fine. Seattle is already an LA-lite, slowly but surely on the way to become LA-North.

Tom McCall was an Oregon governor, who once gained fame by addressing Californians "Please come to visit, but don't stay"
But there is good news for you: once the population of Seattle metro reaches 5 or 6 million, the Californians will stop moving in. Seattle will be very much as LA - same smog, traffic, prices, overcrowding, but sans the sun and palm trees. No point for anyone to move here anymore.
Seattle is absolutely, positively NOTHING like Los Angeles. Even other CA cities aren't like LA. The CA cities Seattle most resembles are Berkeley and Oakland. The former more than the latter.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Seattle is absolutely, positively NOTHING like Los Angeles. Even other CA cities aren't like LA. The CA cities Seattle most resembles are Berkeley and Oakland. The former more than the latter.
Thank you! I was recently back in L.A. and couldn't wait to get back to Seattle. I like Seattle because it is so different from L.A. in almost every measurable way. I know some Californians move to different parts of the country and want to change their new cities to be more like L.A., but not me. I moved here because I like Seattle for being Seattle, just the way it is, and I hope it doesn't ever change too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area