Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times

Advertisements

This is one of the Seattle neighborhoods I am least familiar with. I may be going to work for a company in SLU that rhymes with Tramazon, so Queen Anne is now on our radar. I've searched the forum and notice that Queen Anne gets occasional mentions, but is not really discussed in depth. So please, lay it on me! Tell me all the stuff that Wikipedia hasn't.

For reference: I'm pretty sure my favorite town is Edmonds, and I currently live in Ravenna. The house we have our eye on is in the Coe attendance area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Gosh, QA is lovely with all those old , charming homes. There's two "Queen Anne" to speak of: the Lower QA, which is yuppie, urban. Then there's Upper QA, the family oriented, beautiful homes and views.

The cons are its crowded, parking on streets *sucks*and its pricey. Another con would have you looking up on you tube "Queen Anne snow"... odds are your kids would enjoy it more than your husband, but if he gets the day off... it's quite a community event (cars will be blocked)-- very fun.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Default what I know...

Hi Angel...
After 20 yrs in Seattle, and living 'on' Queen Ann, briefly... is that it is a hill, a very steep hill that closes in snow/frost/ice. QA is quaint and does have a terrific appeal. Good architecture, restaurants, shops, grocery. I only found two ways in and out of the area. Like I said, main arterial is a steep hill the other is on the East side of QA Blvd that winds around to Seattle proper. Lovely neighborhoods and good folk.
Koale

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
The top of Queen Anne, the area that sends to Coe, is generally lovely. Nice old houses, leafy streets, feels like a village. Safe.
The cons are home prices mostly. And yes, if there's snow, you'll be stuck at the top of the hill, and wouldn't be able to get to work easily. Maybe that's a pro, not a con.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Only other thing I'd add since you mention Coe is parts of the west side of the hill facing Interbay are noisy because of the railroad yard. I've heard that complaint mostly from people living in the apartments/condos that are lower down/further west so I'm not sure how much it affects the SFH zones.

People mentioning the slope are not exaggerating. You will need good snow tires and AWD to navigate a lot of those streets in the event of snow. Some of those areas make my neighborhood look like Kansas in comparison.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks, guys! So...snow and steep hills. That's an exciting mix. I'm not usually a fan of super hilly areas, so it would definitely be a change.

Ira, your dry humor is a great counterpoint to this soggy day. :-)

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Only other thing I'd add since you mention Coe is parts of the west side of the hill facing Interbay are noisy because of the railroad yard. I've heard that complaint mostly from people living in the apartments/condos that are lower down/further west so I'm not sure how much it affects the SFH zones.

People mentioning the slope are not exaggerating. You will need good snow tires and AWD to navigate a lot of those streets in the event of snow. Some of those areas make my neighborhood look like Kansas in comparison.
Seemed dead quiet yesterday, but it was Sunday.

How much and how often is snow a problem on Queen Anne? I waited all last winter for some snow, and only got maybe a dozen flakes fluttering down on my head.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Seemed dead quiet yesterday, but it was Sunday.

How much and how often is snow a problem on Queen Anne? I waited all last winter for some snow, and only got maybe a dozen flakes fluttering down on my head.
Last year was unusual, but the storms vary a lot. Some years we'll get up to 3-4 storms that cause the city to temporarily shut down. It's not a huge inconvenience except when something like (was it 2009?) happens where a ton of snow and ice sticks around for a week or more. Seattle doesn't have much equipment for clearing all but the major arterials.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
If you're working in the SLU area, just buy some crampons for your shoes and you can hike to work. That's not such a bad thing, especially if you ever plan to do any winter hiking in the mountains. It can be quite comical walking around watching people trying to drive on snowy, frozen roads.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
If you're working in the SLU area, just buy some crampons for your shoes and you can hike to work. That's not such a bad thing, especially if you ever plan to do any winter hiking in the mountains. It can be quite comical walking around watching people trying to drive on snowy, frozen roads.
Sounds fantastically adventurous, but my idea of "roughing it" is staying in a hotel near the campground. I'm just not that kinda gal, unfortunately. Luckily, I have driven in snow quite a bit (lived in Denver and Philly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: