Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 PM

347 posts, read 670,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I don't drive that way, but I see it all the time. Everyone seems to drive around five miles under the speed limit. Sometimes I'm driving on the freeway and there are a whole pack of cars driving the same, slow pace behind me across all lanes. It looks very Twilight Zone, and sometimes I get scared my speedometer is broken.
OHHHH, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that would really drive me crazy. Where I live you can actually get pulled over and ticketed for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
This is awesome. Haha your story of the funny yelp review reminded of this past summer while in a seattle suburb for a few weeks (family there) this lady about 20-30 years older kept mean mugging me (dirty looks consistently) so I made a vocal comment and gave her a look as she kept stating rudely. I was convinced she hated me and/or her life. After some time she proceeds to ask if I'd watch her computer and stuff while she goes to the restroom. It was that moment I was beyond perplexed with seattle people.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,381,466 times
If you need a change from the quiet reserved nature of Seattleites, attended a Seahawks game(if you can get tickets anymore). All the pent up energy suddenly explodes in an orgy emotional abandon. It's like watching some strict Amish kids who go out into the wider world and go crazy.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM

15 posts, read 24,201 times
Angelinogirl,
I'm happy to find your post! I'm about to move to Seattle in a couple of months and I hope I'll like it as you do now..Could you talk to me a little bit about the steep roads, are they that bad? Can you avoid them by taking other routes? Could you also suggest any affordable family friendly neighborhood? Thank you!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM

195 posts, read 377,966 times
Quote:
"Oh, is that where you're going to park?" = Don't park there
"Isn't that funny" = That's not funny at all, are you making fun of me?
"I'll just sit over here" = I was going to sit at that table
Almost hit you in their car, followed by smug smile = you shouldn't have been in the crosswalk/stop signs don't apply to me

Ah, I feel so at home here having grown up in England heh heh heh

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM

195 posts, read 377,966 times
It will be two years for us in a couple of months (we moved from LA), and we haven't looked back. Not for a second.

For me, the worst thing is (by far) the so so useless/slow drivers (that yet insist on speeding like heck in the snow, and for some weird reason ALWAYS pull out right in front of me at red-lights/stop lights, and then proceed to drive 20 mph ... maybe they assume everyone else drives as slowly as they do)

My wife had a bit of a hard time with winter last year, but this is her only winter not in LA and she is definitely getting used to it.

I have noticed a very "Superior than thou" attitude though when I interview for a job, which I really don't appreciate .... so that's something of a downside.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM

78 posts, read 154,088 times
I dream of moving to WA, not necessarily Seattle. I have lived all over. I am originally from Texas, as a child I did live in AK for four years. We also lived in KY and LA (hated LA and liked KY as much as an 8 year old can I suppose lol). As an adult I've lived in TX, MD, VA and I have travelled to other countries during my service. We visited WA to see friends but also because I have always wanted to. I have friends there and some have lived there a very long time and the others had just moved. At first she hated it but now two years in she loves it. I have heard that you either hate it or love it. I would love to go and experience it before we retire because it's on our list of places to retire and I'd love to be there before investing in a home and a move. We are years from that but in the military it is another story because there are limits to our ability to choose. We are here for another 1.5 years then it is either back to VA or off to FL for 12 months then we are getting orders somewhere for three years. So I am praying we get west coast preferably WA. Sorry to rant. I kinda wish we had the ability to just pick up and go where we choose but this is our life and we chose it. lol I am just don't get Minot ND or AZ or something extreme. As much as I love TX I don't do well with allergens and man I am getting older and am not in love with the heat. Thank you for updating. Do you find that the "chill" is all over WA or primarily in Seattle area? I have been to Poulsbo and Bremerton and found people pretty friendly.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM

115 posts, read 227,850 times
Love reading your update!! Fell in love with Edmonds as well. My bestie just moved there from Orange County. I couldn't get over the feeling....it was so cozy, green, and beautiful. Funny..driving up from the airport I noticed the slow drivers as well. I mean I was looking around as if something was wrong. Huge adjustment from southern CA driving, ha. But I actually appreciated that vibe. It slowed me down internally. Plan on moving there as soon as hubby finds a job!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,412,146 times
Default traffic

Quote:

2. There are so many cute places to explore. We've gone to wine country, concerts, museums, yummy restaurants, up to Vancouver. I've discovered that I love village life, and there are many quaint little villages here. The entire region has a very nautical feel (which is probably why so many cute little antiques are decorated with anchors). But the water does not feel like the water elsewhere on this coast. Initially I tried to make neighborhoods here correlate to those I knew in L.A., but it's just not possible. It feels almost east coast to me, in the best way.
The problem is GETTING to all those "cute places" in the 3rd worst traffic city in the U.S.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM

115 posts, read 227,850 times
Better to live in one of the cute places then... (if lucky enough!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area