Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times

Advertisements

It's up to you, obviously, but throwing in my two cents you definitely don't need a PhD to actually get involved in problem solving. So many completely independent groups of people are solving important problems because it's so easy to prototype and get to market with today's technologies. That said, if you want the PhD there's probably ho harm in doing it...Microsoft will probably still be there. However, I do think it's important to get into the public sector eventually so you can form connections with those in your field and to actually see what it's like in the real world and not sheltered in the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 PM

456 posts, read 774,695 times
Generally a Phd is not required or a huge help for most software positions. Its also not worth doing unless you really love research and have some areas you want to delve into into. Post Phd you could pursue a position at Microsoft Research and stay within the same path for example. If you see yourself going down the Academic path or really love the CS aspect I would stick with the Phd program. I'd also add that there is little rush to join MS today. 15 years ago you might have been sacrificing a huge amount of cash, that's not really the situation now.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Do the PhD ... MS is looking for a new CEO right now, and changes at the top generally preclude changes everywhere else. Get the PhD, especially since you won't be paying for it!

PS - If you are looking at the potential of in-state tuition in a year's time, you should get a utility bill put in her name ASAP to prove residence.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,955 times
Thanks for your answers everyone, the different views that you have expressed definitely reflect my inner thought process. Ultimately of course, I have to decide with my wife, but it is great to hear your advice.
One more thing I am curious about is negotiation - should I attempt to negotiate, even though the recruiter mentioned something about the offer being not negotiable? I do have other offers.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 AM

94 posts, read 204,432 times
On MS paying for your PhD. I believe the benefit is about $5-$6k per calendar year. I do know quite a few people who have gone back to school while working at MS. None to get a PhD -- but to get bachelor's, master's, or MBA's. So it's definitely doable. In most cases, they've done programs that spread the coursework over a longer period of time, which works out well with MS's benefit anyway, because the more calendar years you're in school, the more money you get from MS to pay for it.

For me, I guess it would depend on 1) how genuinely interested I was in the coursework, and 2) whether I felt that I needed the degree for my future career aspirations. Personally, I don't feel that I need an advanced degree to do what I want to do in my career, nor am I particularly interested in going back to school, for a variety of reasons. So it's a no-brainer for me -- I have a bachelor's and that is plenty of education for what I want to do. Might be different for you. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I would just go with MS. Your earning potential won't be any higher with a PhD, and Microsoft compensates their employees well. Good luck!

Huh? Of course it will, especially in his field. If for no other reason than he can have higher job titles as he is more knowledgable and innovative.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:
Huh? Of course it will, especially in his field. If for no other reason than he can have higher job titles as he is more knowledgable and innovative.
Not necessarily. In my group a PhD is a mark against someone, nor will we pay more for it, nor do you get a fancy title for it. Too often we've hired them and they're incapable of comprehending product schedules, nitpit the most inconsequential details you can imagine (costing time), and just generally want to dwell in their happy ivory tower thinking lofty thoughts without ever truly understanding the realities of building, shipping and maintaining a product. The philosophy here is 'if you want actual work to get done, don't hire a PhD'. Not that we wouldn't interview one, but there would be considerable probing to make sure they knew what they were getting into.

Now there are certainly other teams where this is not the philosophy, but a PhD is not a universal ticket to professional respect and/or more $$ in this company (or any company I've worked for). However, in teams like R&D, or compilers, or something more theoretical - it's very useful, and would definitely equate to better earning potential. So this all goes back to what the OP wants to get into. A PhD won't be useful in every area, so whether or not to get one really depends on what you want to go into.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Get your PhD.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,955 times
So far, I am leaning towards accepting the offer, and then continuing for a PhD in the future if I see advantages of doing that...
Any advice on negotiation?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughDecisions View Post
So far, I am leaning towards accepting the offer, and then continuing for a PhD in the future if I see advantages of doing that...
Any advice on negotiation?
If it's a good offer, take it as is. Don't negotiate just for the sake of negotiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area