Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
What's sort of annoying is posters who act like anyone or a places that don't have the same tastes as them means there's something really wrong with them. I mean, I was never that impressed with most of Atlanta when I visited (just wasn't my sort of place), but I just accepted it as not being to my liking . I don't know why people who only live a year in some place and had a bad time would be so obsessed with still going on and on about it(though it's pretty common on CityData). Though the Seattle board attracts malcontents like flies for whatever reason...
Totally agree. And Atlanta? Nothing against it but what does Atlanta have to do with...anything? It's like throwing Cincinnati into posts randomly when no one was or ever talks about it in Seattle. The obsession with Seattle when someone doesn't live here anymore is pretty strange, like they just couldn't let go.

As for the attractiveness of women in Seattle, it's like debating a color. What appeals to one person doesn't necessarily appeal to another and that's true for men and women. This thread reads like a handful of men who can't get a date and want to reminisce about that time they saw some girls wearing shorts while they were on vacation.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Cutting off my reading at post #169, to be exact, to comment: entertaining thread. Think I repped most, if not all, of the major players here. Terrific example of conflicting opinions that all are defensible, based on experiences that are perhaps unique to the individual (at least relative to the other commenters on this thread, all of whom have different geographical histories). I've been debating a move to any of LA, SD, SF, Portland, Seattle, and...while I'm not necessarily sure this thread changed my opinion one way or another about my own future decision, I enjoy[ed] the commentary of the first 169 posts herein

Edit to say I should've opted for "psychogeographical" over the not-as-adequate "geographical"...the fact that I'm referencing Guy Debord would presumably elevate SF, Portland, Seattle on my future relocation list rather than LA or especially SD

(I say that facetiously...there's a place for Debord, and there's a place for wanting to have sex with a rather idiotic woman who happens to be gorgeous)

and then there's a place for me hating myself for my deciding to edit to say this...which is why I still think LA is the best potential arena for my bipolar-ness...if not somewhere in Debord's nation (but I can't speak a lick of French, so). Also, I'm now getting a bit intoxicated, hence the decision to edit (and probably also to make the initial comment)

sorry, not to hijack

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 10-24-2013 at 03:19 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 AM

59 posts, read 52,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing I have noticed is that beautiful people are everywhere.

(But men) blame the city or more specifically they blame the appearance of the women in their city. Maybe this superficial judgmental attitude is just a one small reason
I strongly believe, and hold to the argument, the the only consistency in every dysfunctional relationship is the person himself. A person who can't find any attractive and fulfilling relationships is out of touch with what others need and therefore enter the "creepy zone": blaming all their dysfunctions on everyone but themselves.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
I strongly believe, and hold to the argument, the the only consistency in every dysfunctional relationship is the person himself. A person who can't find any attractive and fulfilling relationships is out of touch with what others need and therefore enter the "creepy zone": blaming all their dysfunctions on everyone but themselves.
Yeah, except that's ridiculously oversimplified. Even if theoretically one member of a relationship is "mostly" to blame...how do we define/quantify "mostly"? Let's say we can theoretically assign blame (which in practice we cannot), and let's say we choose to assign one party in a failed relationship 60% of the blame and the other 40%.

Say further the person who in our ridiculously arbitrary calculus has been assigned 60% of the blame is far less likely to be compatible with the average human being than the person we've assigned 40% of the blame.

Five years down the road, how do you then analyze the life results of the 60-percenter, who's predictably become a bit alienated, versus the the 40-percenter who's "magically" (probabilistically) recovered and "made a life for herself" (oops, by saying "herself" did I betray my bias in this hypothetical??)

Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM

I should've used more gender neutral terms, but this works both ways. This is not a "man is worse/better" argument. There are women out there that can't seem to get dates either. All I'm saying is its not a whole city's worth of opposite gender's fault if a person can't find a long term relationship or even short term ones.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
No. I wasn't high. That **** is only legal in Seattle.
It's legal in the entire state actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Now in the other hand I live in Scottsdale. North Scottsdale. I see "beautiful" people everywhere. But then after a while you start to see through that. You realize all the plastic surgery, working out and all the supposed money in the world does not positively correlate with happy, nice people.
This was my experience with Scottsdale as well. Half my office was always on a diet of some sort. Those of us not constantly obsessing over everything we ate were much happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
1. Seattle women don't do much to make themselves appealing. Many women in other cities, no matter the occasion, usually wear make-up and style their hair. Not being used to this, I was really floored by how much more attractive these little details can make women look. For the first month or so, in LA and Austin, I truly felt like every woman I saw was model material. My question: women of Seattle, why don't you even try to "spruce yourself up" a little bit? Why are you always make-up-less and have your hair bunched up in a pony-tail? Worse, why do you opt for non-prescription glasses instead of make-up? It almost seems like your purposely going in the OPPOSITE direction of hotness...

2. Seattle women do not wear sexy clothing. Not saying I want to undress every woman with my eyes, but Damn! women in other cities sure know how to show off the goods. Why is every woman in Seattle dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt 9 months out of the year? I know people cite the weather as a factor, but apparently, based on conversations I've had, the mini-dresses don't go back in the closet during the winter in NYC and Chicago - women continue wearing them despite 15-degree weather. So what's with the puritanical streak here in Seattle? Who told women it was immoral to show some flesh every now and then?

4. Beyond physical attractiveness, Seattle women don't appear as healthy as the women in the other cities. I was amazed by how tall, fit, strong, tanned, and just... HEALTHY... a lot of women in these cities appeared. Do they eat better, work out more, or again is it just hereditary? This is the most striking difference to me. When I came back to Seattle, every women seemed about 4" shorter, 30 lbs lighter (but not in better shape), and 10 shades paler.
#1, 2) I live in the Portland area and popped into the Seattle forum because I've been tossing around the idea of moving up there. I'm heading up there next weekend and yesterday I bought a pair of rain shoes for the trip (which I'll need here as well). Who wants to walk around all day in ruined shoes with wet feet? The main answer for the hair and makeup is the weather. Nothing kills a nice hairdo faster than rain. If you think the women are unattractive now, picture them all looking like drowned rats, which is the effect of rain + hairdo. And when you have to wipe the rain off your face, well, there goes all the makeup too. It's just not that practical in the PNW for most of the year.

I'm curious as to what you were promoting and how much time you spent in those cities out and about when not on the clock? The promotion is likely to predict the clientele you draw. You felt every woman was "model material"-were you in a model material setting like an upscale store or something more mainstream like JC Penney? How much of the full picture of these cities did you see? Were you in the nice areas only or did you also take a trip to the lower class parts of town? I'm also curious if you'd find those same women in their daisy dukes nearly as attractive bundled up in sweaters, heavy coats and Uggs against 15 degree weather?

#4) Women with a bit of color (i.e. tan) do look healthier. However, in the PNW, that's a little harder to come by naturally. Portland typically doesn't see sun until 7/5, and I've heard Seattle actually gets more rain than we do. I got quite a bit of color over the summer bike commuting to work and I do look a lot healthier as a result but I'm not going to start tanning to maintain it over the winter. As for the not smiling, lack of Vitamin D (not seeing the sun for 9 months out of the year) probably has something to do with it.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 PM

309 posts, read 760,381 times
There are lots of good looking women in Seattle. They just don't smile enough.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM

Haha, really? I had the opposite impression on the whole smiling thing!

Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 PM

305 posts, read 450,254 times
HAHAHAHAHA! Best thread ever!! And spot on when it comes to the Bohemian women in Seattle. OP - Glad you got to experience Chicago. Tons of fine women here! Take my advice and get out of Seattle while you're young and commitment-free. The last thing you need is to settle down with one of those urchins in Seattle and get stuck there the rest of your life. I've seen it happen to too many good guys.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! Best thread ever!! And spot on when it comes to the Bohemian women in Seattle. OP - Glad you got to experience Chicago. Tons of fine women here! Take my advice and get out of Seattle while you're young and commitment-free. The last thing you need is to settle down with one of those urchins in Seattle and get stuck there the rest of your life. I've seen it happen to too many good guys.
Agreed.. Seattle women are definitely not marriage material.. I think passive, beta-males who want a female authority figure, one who runs the house, calls the shots and has the power would be better off with a Seattle woman, as they are dominating, feministic and like to retain the authority. Oddly enough though, I find their version of feminism to be not as bad as some of the East Coast women I see who are outright brutish, loud and aggressive when it comes to dominating their male counterparts. However, in the East Coast you have very aggressive, alpha males that tend to bash heads with their alpha female counterparts. Despite East Coast women being more aggressive they are thicker skin and can put up with a man who stands up for himself. Whereas in Seattle, you have the reserved, egocentric, dominating female who will freak out and jump ship if she encounters a man who gives her any resistance or shows his masculinity.

I grew up in a household of very dominating East Coast, Brooklyn, New Jersey Jewish females and learned how to old my own against women with such chutzpah.

Perhaps, Midwestern and Southern women are the only ones who truly enjoy men who are really men and don't mind following their female roles.. In Seattle, at any moment, you are an evil "misogynist, rapist, bigot, murderer". That is the attitude I feel I encounter from most Seattle women.. I feel like they base their opinions on men from what they read on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area