Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM

279 posts, read 480,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Honestly the sooner i move the better why would anyone live in Seattle. The only thing that can be said about Seattle is that the pay is far better here than most places but whats the point when your too cold to go out and it rains non stop. I been here for a couple years and moving here was necessary at the time but I mean this sincerely NO THING is worth the weather here. It's like death right now as I type. It's so cold it hurts your face. It might rain any second, that's how Seattle is.

All this affects the people here. The women don't even care how they look. The men as had been told to me by women are weird, passive and slobs.

This place is Hell. I'm waiting fr summer. If I stay another year I won't be here for December, January and February.

So there are about 620,000 people in Seattle. If it was that bad don't you think you'd have an empty city? Not everyone lives in Seattle to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
May I ask how old you are and are you married? Just curious....I am sorry you are so miserable due to weather....I would like to add that sun doesn't necessarily make you happy...warm temps don't necessarily make you happy...living among southerners in the south, I can truly attest to that.... they are some of the most miserable folks I have ever met in all my life...
Your post made me laugh because it's so true. I've been in Florida for 40+ years (multiple reasons why I've stayed so long) and as far as I'm concerned endless sun and hot temps just makes people psychotic.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Your post made me laugh because it's so true. I've been in Florida for 40+ years (multiple reasons why I've stayed so long) and as far as I'm concerned endless sun and hot temps just makes people psychotic.
"Psychotic," wow. I'm a cold-weather kind of guy by complexion/genetics, so Seattle and other northern climates work well for me. I'd have skin cancer in the South within a finite number of years. The hot, dry California sun gave me a great tan but probably amped up my cancer risk, too, the years I was there.

The roaches in North Carolina had wings, and a hideous self-preservation instinct. "intelligence" isn't the right word, but "cunning" may be. That, and other critters, I do not miss. There are few critters in Seattle, other than the plague of spiders every year (which my cats snipe with ruthless efficiency, bless 'em both).

To the original point, when it's nasty out in Seattle but I just need to get out of the house, I put on my rather expensive (the price for effectiveness) North Face gear and have a nice walk anyway. That stuff plus a hat makes everything tolerable, other than early this week when the rain was going sideways. It isn't ideal, but if there is daylight it's still rather enjoyable getting a bit of exercise and seeing the community. I call this, "Suck it Up!" ...mentality. Deal with it here, or split. I choose to stay and couldn't be dragged away (mostly due to the favorable economics in my profession).

And, I huddled in the coffee shop an hour or so, too, as part of the aforementioned walk: part of the ritual and definitely warming to my bones, so to speak. I dunno: I'm a big galoot and seldom get too cold.

Women seem to have it tougher; nature plays a cruel trick not giving you as thick a skin and less subcutaneous fat, I suspect.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
On your question about interior paint colors, you as an individual will react differently to paint colors -- doesn't matter what is happening with the weather outdoors. I'd suggest that you visit some model homes and/or some fine furniture stores that divide furniture up into rooms and see how you feel when you are in a room with different paint colors. This is really important before you just assume that using bright interior colors will help you in a gloomy climate. If you can't find model homes or furniture stores, then go to a book store and go thru some interior paint/decoration books and pay attention to how your mind reacts with different room colors. Some will make you feel stressed, others may relax you, others will make you feel energetic, etc.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
If you're from a sunnier warmer climate, you may have to force yourself to go outside here. Do it anyway.You'll get used to it. The secret to staying sane in this climate to is to go outside and get exercise year round. I don't intentionally go out in the pouring rain, but if you dress for it, it's no big deal at all most of the time. Lots of cloudy days, which are really good for hiking in. Some people swear by Vitamin D3 supplements around here. Some have the lights. I subscribe to the " Unless it's pouring out, I'm going to go outside, and get some exercise every day" philosophy.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
We go hiking every weekend in the late spring, summer and fall. We go skiing or snowshoeing every weekend in the winter (as long as it's not storming in the pass). I go out with my friends for happy hour, walks, or book club 1-3x a week. We entertain a couple times a month - game night, movie night, dinner parties, etc. We often meet friends for weekend brunch. We like to go out of town for little weekend trips about once a month. All of these keeps us out and active. And quite frankly, that's what I do no matter where I live. Maybe that's why the weather doesn't seem like a big deal? I mean seriously - it's cloudy, and drizzles from time to time. It's not life-threateningly cold, not windy, there's few insects, it doesn't get miserably hot - it's just pretty moderate.

I can't really compare it to CA weather - I'm from a place with fairly harsh weather, so this was a big improvement. I became much more outdoorsy here. We did make sure we got a place with amazing natural light so it doesn't feel like living in a cave in the winter when the days are short. Kinda hard to say that we did that just to make living here bearable though, since these are my normal actions anywhere I live.

I will note though that some people srsly lose it about the weather here though, so be warned - there's lots of clouds. Did that sound as dire as it should? THERE ARE MILLIONS OF WATER PARTICLES SUSPENDED ABOVE US ALL AS I SPEAK!!!! ANY MINUTE.. ANY MINUTE AT ALL - ONE OF THEM COULD FALL ON YOU!

You have been warned.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 PM

366 posts, read 645,161 times
It's 55 and they think it's good weather. I can't walk outside without a coat. This place is not for anyone from a warmer climate.

Anyways this thread was for Californians and what they do to adjust. I'm from southern California. If you grewand were raised there forget it!

I haven't seen the sun in months unless you want to call over cast a sunny day. Which they obviously do here.

Another thing I am tired of. Apparently this is a great place to raise a family if your not doing that then its a different story.

Let me tell you about getting dressed upand then getting rained on like a dozen times, or constantly being sick because the adjustments in weather go from one extreme to the next.

This is the suicide capital of USA and the weather is a big contributing factor to that.

Bottom line everyone is different but this is no place for someone from southern California.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM

366 posts, read 645,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We go hiking every weekend in the late spring, summer and fall. We go skiing or snowshoeing every weekend in the winter (as long as it's not storming in the pass). I go out with my friends for happy hour, walks, or book club 1-3x a week. We entertain a couple times a month - game night, movie night, dinner parties, etc. We often meet friends for weekend brunch. We like to go out of town for little weekend trips about once a month. All of these keeps us out and active. And quite frankly, that's what I do no matter where I live. Maybe that's why the weather doesn't seem like a big deal? I mean seriously - it's cloudy, and drizzles from time to time. It's not life-threateningly cold, not windy, there's few insects, it doesn't get miserably hot - it's just pretty moderate.

I can't really compare it to CA weather - I'm from a place with fairly harsh weather, so this was a big improvement. I became much more outdoorsy here. We did make sure we got a place with amazing natural light so it doesn't feel like living in a cave in the winter when the days are short. Kinda hard to say that we did that just to make living here bearable though, since these are my normal actions anywhere I live.

I will note though that some people srsly lose it about the weather here though, so be warned - there's lots of clouds. Did that sound as dire as it should? THERE ARE MILLIONS OF WATER PARTICLES SUSPENDED ABOVE US ALL AS I SPEAK!!!! ANY MINUTE.. ANY MINUTE AT ALL - ONE OF THEM COULD FALL ON YOU!

You have been warned.
Believe it or not the sight of clouds and a chance of rain makes me feel like I will explode in agony. A day here and there is no big deal but weeks of grey skies and wet weather can break the will to even leave the door step

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Believe it or not the sight of clouds and a chance of rain makes me feel like I will explode in agony. A day here and there is no big deal but weeks of grey skies and wet weather can break the will to even leave the door step
A few years ago in spring we had 33 days in a row without seeing the sun, or even stars at night. It sounds like you won't be happy here and should probably find a way to leave. Oddly enough, I feel the same way about weeks without rain, and having sun every day for 9-10 months was making me nuts in CA. The worst though, was the lack of 100' tall trees all over. We go back to visit and it feels like the sky is too close, so we have to head up to Tahoe for a day or two and get refreshed.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wow is right. So cold it hurts your face? It's 52 degrees. That's a lot warmer than most of the country in winter.
Hahahaha I laughed real loud to this. Being from MN, that poster is a real comedian. Try -52 with windchill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area