Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM

279 posts, read 480,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
What do you do to make Seattle life easier?
Well, judging from what kinds of businesses are all over, people in Seattle:
1. Smoke pot. Medical marijuana dispensaries are numerous, especially in certain areas.
2. Drink beer. Washington is one of the nation's leaders in microbreweries.
3. Drink coffee. You can't stumble in Seattle without falling into a place that sells espresso.
4. Drink whiskey. I've noticed quite a few tiny distilleries in Seattle.
5. Drink wine. Woodinville's full of wineries. Even places like Renton have wine bars.

I like all of these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM

92 posts, read 116,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
Seattle, San Francisco and Anchorage are some of the most male-dominated cities in the US. No big surprise that the girls aren't what you're used to.

I would never advise a straight man to come to Seattle to meet a nice girl, unless he's looking for money.

theattractivearts.com/2012/01/top-tips-for-seattle-singles-part-1/
ZeeZee is right. Most people who think Seattle sucks are single, straight men. And for for them, it does suck.

The people who would probably do best in Seattle are:

1. Gays/Lesbians. This town won't jsut tolerate you, but put you up on a pedestal !
2. Anti social people. If you just want to go about your day and be left alone, this is the perfect place for you.
3. Families. There are a lot of jobs here, many of them are good paying. And with a fairly low crime rate, Seattle is a good place to raise a family.
4. Single women. Supply and demand. Move here and be overwhelemed with suitors!

Avoid Seattle if:

1. You don't like rain, or grey skies - Or prefer sunny, warm days.
2. You are a single, straight guy. You won't find a wife/gf here.
3. You don't like large crowds. Seattle is a very densely packed city with lots of people living in a relative small area.
4. You are a social butterfly. Making friends is notriously difficult in this city.

There are good and bad things about Seattle but they will have a different importance to dfferent people.

I hope this post helps

Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 AM

47 posts, read 79,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I am coming from SoCal and wanted to see what others are doing to make it an easier transition coming from the sunny weather to the more grey wet weather. What have you done?

For instance... Do you use different lighting in your home? Have you painted the interior of your home brighter colors? Have you included more life in your home such as an aquarium or animals? Do you use different clothing for walks? Do you make sure to go out and actually do stuff and participate in getting out of the house?

any and all suggestions would be great to hear!

Thank you,

David
I think having different lighting is the best way to make the transition. Put something full-spectrum in your living room, and maybe the kitchen, too. Turn it on and just go about your day. And take your Vitamin D, because that's a pretty big environmental change - SoCal to Seattle. But your body will acclimate before you even notice there's a difference.

Another thing you could do is find scented candles - nothing outrageous, just something pleasant or else that reminds you of the area you're moving from - and keep them in your new house/apartment so your surroundings don't feel so "new". Or take/find pictures of outdoor places you like going to during sunny times of day, frame them, and put them on the walls the first day you move in. If you bring enough of the impressions you're used to in SoCal with you to Seattle, you might actually step outside not even noticing the gloomy sky or lack of sun - you'll be so caught up in the atmosphere of where you came from that part of you might think you're still there. That'll acclimate your mind.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
Smile Seattle weathee

I was born and raised in Washington state, so am used to the weather. However I can totally relate to what you're asking about as my husband was in the Marines and we were transferred to California for a couple of years and I was wondering how Californians could stand the heat all the time.
I also had a daughter who was born in California but went into a depression when we moved back to Washington. A doctor suggested I get her some type of a white light that she could put her face into when she started getting depressed and it worked. She used it for a few months and now she loves Washington.
One thing most Washingtonian's know is that if you sit in the house waiting for the weather to get nicer so you can do something, you will be sitting in the house forever which will bring on depression.
So we layer our clothes (cause the weather changes all the time) and we head out of our homes and do whatever we want/need to do knowing that if we do get a little wet, not only can we dry off, but that we also know we aren't so sweet that we will melt.
SO......go out, ignore the weather and enjoy life while you can. Best of luck to you and welcome to Washington.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
When I left DC it was 18°. When we arrived in Seattle on that January 1st it was 54°. I love Seattle weather. Now that I live in southern California I see how interesting and funny the people are when it comes to the weather. One day I was having lunch outside in Century City in Los Angeles. It was packed with people. The next thing I noticed what seemed like a couple of rain drops came down and people got up in a panic, pushing and shoving running for cover. It was really a site to see. Were they going to melt or something?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I'm a Californian who loves cold weather. I took a long walk this morning -- around 4 a.m. -- in Santa Monica, where I live. It was about 55 degrees. I wore shorts. Sometimes, when it's in the upper 50s, I wear shorts and a T-shirt.

Seriously, you don't need a coat for a balmy 55, :-)

Of course, I'm originally from New York City. I remember one January a few years ago when it was 9 degrees during one of my late night walks.

55 cold? We ex-New Yorkers laugh at your 55!

Yes, when it hits 9, my face is uncomfortably cold. But not at 55.
Yeah. Pacific Northwest "cold" is usually a joke compared to Northeast "cold", unless you go east of the Cascades of course. It gets Northeast cold over there. In SoCal they cry if it drops into the 40's

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM

262 posts, read 307,839 times
Wherever you decide to live here, make sure there are plenty of windows to let in any available light.

Get out and explore. I'm always surprised that people live here for years but haven't been to the tulip fields, Snoqualamie Falls or the San Juans.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
It's funny, as a native Angeleno, I often find myself "location scouting" when I'm driving around Seattle. It's such a cinematic place. People here might find that idea funny (and my California perspective kind of shallow and gross) but I mean it in the best way. I don't try to find ways to make this place more like California. I really try to see Seattle, and appreciate all the ways it is not like California. Do I miss SoCal sometimes? Sure. But I could never go back after living here. I would miss Seattle more than I ever miss California. So that's my advice to make things easier here: witness and embrace how it's different by almost every metric, and you'll be happier. I feel like some folks fall into a trap of wanting it to be like "home." I hope Seattle will never be like California. I actually worry about how sunny it's been so soon in the season. I hope word doesn't get out! :-)

Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It's funny, as a native Angeleno, I often find myself "location scouting" when I'm driving around Seattle. It's such a cinematic place. People here might find that idea funny (and my California perspective kind of shallow and gross) but I mean it in the best way. I don't try to find ways to make this place more like California. I really try to see Seattle, and appreciate all the ways it is not like California. Do I miss SoCal sometimes? Sure. But I could never go back after living here. I would miss Seattle more than I ever miss California. So that's my advice to make things easier here: witness and embrace how it's different by almost every metric, and you'll be happier. I feel like some folks fall into a trap of wanting it to be like "home." I hope Seattle will never be like California. I actually worry about how sunny it's been so soon in the season. I hope word doesn't get out! :-)
Don't worry. It'll probably rain all of June.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM

314 posts, read 460,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
don't worry. It'll probably rain all of june.
Shut Up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area