Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
From sports to cultural events, it seems like Seattle never attempts to draw these events to the city. Spokane has served host to the ncaa tourney 3 out of the last 5 years while Seattle has not even shown interest in holding such events.
Seattle is getting the tourney again in the next few years. The NCAA wants Seattle to build the new arena.

Seattle has hosted 5 Final Fours, 2 MLB All-Star games, an NBA All-Star game, the Goodwill Games, and lost out on a Super Bowl due to lies about the Metrodome.

Want big events again? Build a domed stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM

26 posts, read 53,685 times
Seattle only has 650,000 residents and, let's be honest, the rest of the state can't even read.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,494 times
What about Bumbershoot? Or is that considered more of a local/regional thing?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,774,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawkeaton View Post
Seattle only has 650,000 residents and, let's be honest, the rest of the state can't even read.
The only folks up here that can't read are from California. California has the nation's worst schools, highest poverty rate.

California: the stupid state

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawkeaton View Post
Yeah I didn't know the state of Washington only had a 10% literacy rate....

Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Well, for one thing, the population of the Seattle metropolitan region stunts our potential slightly. Our entire metro region has a lower population than the City of Los Angeles proper alone, for instance. Outside of Seattle proper, our region is pretty rural and mid-sized. This is further worsened by the fact that Seattle is isolated geographically.

We have an economy that packs a powerful punch for a region of our size, but our entertainment amenities are definitely proportionate to our medium size. In that respect, my move from Southern California to Seattle was a bit sobering. The amount of places to go and things to do was reduced from seemingly-infinite in SoCal to quite limited in Seattle. There are natural attractions for people that are into outdoor recreational activities, but beyond visiting local markets or drinking local Seattle brews, there's not much to do (relative, of course, to the Southwest or East Coast where entertainment amenities are aplenty.)

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Well, for one thing, the population of the Seattle metropolitan region stunts our potential slightly. Our entire metro region has a lower population than the City of Los Angeles proper alone, for instance. Outside of Seattle proper, our region is pretty rural and mid-sized. This is further worsened by the fact that Seattle is isolated geographically.

We have an economy that packs a powerful punch for a region of our size, but our entertainment amenities are definitely proportionate to our medium size. In that respect, my move from Southern California to Seattle was a bit sobering. The amount of places to go and things to do was reduced from seemingly-infinite in SoCal to quite limited in Seattle. There are natural attractions for people that are into outdoor recreational activities, but beyond visiting local markets or drinking local Seattle brews, there's not much to do (relative, of course, to the Southwest or East Coast where entertainment amenities are aplenty.)
I hear this a lot in diff cities. Just curious what you did in Socal that is unavailable in Seattle?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Visit the Getty in LA, Getty Villa in Malibu, dine & drink in Santa Monica, go surfing at SM, Venice, Laguna, Newport, Seal, Huntington, enjoy a couple drinks and lounge in the sun on the sand, renting a tandem bike and cruise along PCH, visit Norton Simon, Disneyland, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Universal City Walk, Hollywood Blvd for an indie film, Hollywood Forever Cemetery for an outdoor theater experience, frequent Shakespeare plays in parks often given the great weather, social biking events in Downtown LA/Long Beach/Santa Monica, the limitless amount of new restaurants to try given the sheer size of SoCal, clubbing in Gas Lamp (San Deigo), Hollywood, Downtown LA, or Pasadena even, the Rose Parade, enjoy fine dining in Manhattan Beach, Beverly Hills, Museum of Tolerance, MOCA, LACMA, Griffith Observatory, Raging Waters...

The list goes on to to infinity. SoCal has an infinite amount of things to do. I got used to visiting a new part of the region every weekend and having plenty of options for weekend trips. Now, besides outdoor recreation (which SoCal also has) Seattle has me feeling very limited entertainment-wise. I'm here to stay and I love living in Seattle, but I would have appreciated more options for outings.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Visit the Getty in LA, Getty Villa in Malibu, dine & drink in Santa Monica, go surfing at SM, Venice, Laguna, Newport, Seal, Huntington, enjoy a couple drinks and lounge in the sun on the sand, renting a tandem bike and cruise along PCH, visit Norton Simon, Disneyland, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Universal City Walk, Hollywood Blvd for an indie film, Hollywood Forever Cemetery for an outdoor theater experience, frequent Shakespeare plays in parks often given the great weather, social biking events in Downtown LA/Long Beach/Santa Monica, the limitless amount of new restaurants to try given the sheer size of SoCal, clubbing in Gas Lamp (San Deigo), Hollywood, Downtown LA, or Pasadena even, the Rose Parade, enjoy fine dining in Manhattan Beach, Beverly Hills, Museum of Tolerance, MOCA, LACMA, Griffith Observatory, Raging Waters...

The list goes on to to infinity. SoCal has an infinite amount of things to do. I got used to visiting a new part of the region every weekend and having plenty of options for weekend trips. Now, besides outdoor recreation (which SoCal also has) Seattle has me feeling very limited entertainment-wise. I'm here to stay and I love living in Seattle, but I would have appreciated more options for outings.
But Seattle wasn't built to cater 12+ million people. We also don't have warm weather year around like SoCal. But Seattle does have alot to offer. I think people just like idea of having options as I know people in SoCal who don't do nearly as many things as you because of one reason of another. But that doesn't mean the area couldn't hold a sizable event. Seattle isn't a small city and if an event was help at the right time of year I could see a problem getting people there even if the event had people most frombthe Pacific Northwest area. An event like comic con and e3 have a strong following and no matter where the event is people will go, Seattle isnt Detroit. I think the city could pull it of if they strived to Do it. There is just so many differing opinions in the city government. Just like how that one city council member said pro sports don't matter to a city. I think the close to 1 million people downtown for the Seahawks parade beg to differ.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,126 times
Most events don't require tens of millions of visitors, but they do require that the people who are interested in attending and participating can get there at reasonable expense and convenience. E3 would work in Seattle because we have a lot of game companies here and there aren't many other events like it.

What I'm saying is that we are whole day's journey away from the majority of people in the US. Places like Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, or Kansas City are only a half day or less of a trip for most people, and places like Philadelphia or New York or Boston are within a few hours drive for even more. LA draws big events because it has a great climate, it is the center of a lot of industries, and it has a massive manufacturing base.

Seattle is small, our region is lightly populated, and most travelers would be adding a full day if not two to their travel itinerary to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area