Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM

20 posts, read 22,674 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to suburbs of Seattle soon for a new job, and I have a question regarding the Park and Rides. I'm interested in areas such as Bothell, and my work will be in downtown. I want to drive my car to Park and Ride that is close to Seattle as possible. Do Park and Rides that are close to Seattle get overfilled if I want to get into work by 8am? I'm particularly interested in Green Lake P&R.

Any input will be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to public transportation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM

My thought of doing this is to cut down on my commute time by driving my car to the P&R that's closest to downtown. Or, would this not save me much time and am I better off just taking the bus that's near my place?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Sorry I can't help you with that one, but I did hear that Northgate fills up. The worst are eastide P & Rs, Issaquah Highlands and Issaquah Transit Center are always full. At Issaquah Transit Center they are experimenting with paid, guaranteed spaces and that could be expanded to other popular locations.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
I will be moving to suburbs of Seattle soon for a new job, and I have a question regarding the Park and Rides. I'm interested in areas such as Bothell, and my work will be in downtown. I want to drive my car to Park and Ride that is close to Seattle as possible. Do Park and Rides that are close to Seattle get overfilled if I want to get into work by 8am? I'm particularly interested in Green Lake P&R.

Any input will be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to public transportation. Thanks!
From Bothell, it would be pointless as the buses going on 522 have a dedicated bus lane most of the way. If you have to be at work by 8, that means you're having to wake up earlier to fight the traffic and to guarantee yourself a spot just to get to work on time. And then... as you're going home, yea it's not going to be worth it because traffic is always worse in the PM. It's not just i5, all the roads are going to be clogged. Some will be better than others... relatively. Try it before committing.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Driving from Bothell to the Greenlake P&R would mean that you'd be sitting in traffic and saving only a few minutes, if at all. Take the bus from Bothell, or find the nearest P&R with good express bus service.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Re-think the decision to move to Bothell if you know you're working downtown. If the house out there is free, then it's an easier decision. If you have to pay to live there and commute around the north end of Lake Washington you are dealing with a lot of trade offs that don't necessarily make monetary or logistical sense.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Yea, thank you for the responses. I am starting to rethink about living in Bothell. I'm also looking at houses or townhomes on north side of Seattle. Like north side of Green Lake. I have a little kid and 2 dogs, so I would like close access to a park, and pretty safe for my wife to walk them. Would north of Green Lake be pretty safe? I'm looking at commute times from there on a bus and it seems like it's under 40minutes to SLU. I'd rather just live in downtown, but my wife doesn't want to. My budget is no more than $2,500 for rent.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Yes, greenlake is considered safe. Most of North Seattle is except for a couple of bad blocks near sections of Aurora Ave, mostly up by Bitter Lake (130th) and the north end of Lake city. Those areas aren't 'ghetto bad' they're just a little sketchier and overall less desirable compared to what else is available. Parts of North Seattle are very suburban and quiet. You can usually find a decent older house or a new townhome to rent in the $2500 range. I would recommend trying to find a place at least a block from any of the major arterials (especially 4 + lane) roads for a number of reasons - like 85th up near north greenlake. I've lived near them before and it's a lot dirtier, noisier and has more 'odd' foot traffic than a place just a few hundred feet further away.

Another thing to look at are the schools - even if your kid is too young if the neighborhood elementary is good, the area serving it tends to be good as well. The 'lower performing' north end schools are Northgate, Viewlands and Broadview-Thompson. Some of the area just north of Greenlake in Licton Springs is in the Viewlands zone which starts around 90th or so.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Yea, thank you for the responses. I am starting to rethink about living in Bothell. I'm also looking at houses or townhomes on north side of Seattle. Like north side of Green Lake. I have a little kid and 2 dogs, so I would like close access to a park, and pretty safe for my wife to walk them. Would north of Green Lake be pretty safe? I'm looking at commute times from there on a bus and it seems like it's under 40minutes to SLU. I'd rather just live in downtown, but my wife doesn't want to. My budget is no more than $2,500 for rent.
Greenlake sounds perfect for you. It's pretty safe and quiet. It's getting more expensive, but at this time I think you can still find something in that budget. If not, Northgate/Maple Leaf is not that bad of an area depending on what part.

Greenlake is mostly families with the occasional UW student here and there. You might want to get a start on rental searching ASAP, because the summer time is the hardest time to find places to rent and Greenlake is becoming a popular choice.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Are there any other places besides Greenlake? What about west of Greenlake? Does it get expensive there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area