Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 PM

23 posts, read 38,223 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Seattle in the next few weeks or week. My original plan was to stay at an extended stay hotel for about a month until I can get established with a new job. However, I can not find any that are affordable. I found one but it's a few hundred dollars over my budget. I don't want to spend more than $1200. If you live in Seattle, Do you know of any extended stay hotels or maybe apartments that rent month to month? I don't really care where they are since I'm only going to be there for a month. Also do you know of any companies there that are always hiring entry level candidates? I have looked at other jobs and I found a few that I will definitely be applying to, but it would be nice to know of others too. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
I have a few Questions:

1. Whats career field are you looking at?

2. Do you have a vehicle or transportation budget?

3. Also do you have a degree?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Why are you moving to Seattle? It sounds like you've taken this far too lightly.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
This is an expensive place to live, normally people are recommending $5,000+ to newcomers looking for a job just to get them through to the first paycheck. You might try VRBO, people renting out their homes for vacationers, it's the off season so there may be some bargains.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:37 PM

I do have a degree! I graduated in 2012 with a degree in Computer systems and Support. I also work as a writer on Amazon Kindle. I'm really just looking at any and all career fields. I already have a job but I was hoping to have something as backup for those moments when I'm in between releasing books. I'm always earning money from the books but the amounts go up and down. As for transportation, I actually own my car, so I'm just responsible for gas, insurance, and repairs.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM

The town I live in is making me, literally, physically sick. I was told for the best of my health, physically and mentally, that it would be best if I left. Do you know of any other place that might be better to start off with? I just always loved the weather in Seattle and I think it's beautiful there. That's why I wanted to go.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSeattleBound View Post
The town I live in is making me, literally, physically sick. I was told for the best of my health, physically and mentally, that it would be best if I left. Do you know of any other place that might be better to start off with? I just always loved the weather in Seattle and I think it's beautiful there. That's why I wanted to go.
Portland is a little cheaper, and pretty much has the same weather. However the job market isn't as strong as Seattle's so there are some tradeoffs.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 PM

338 posts, read 847,961 times
Hello to a fellow writer!

I will say that Seattle definitely has been better for my physical and mental health since we move here 2 years ago. The tech industry is huge here, so depending on what you're looking for job wise, you may have good luck finding employment. Can't help with the temp housing scenario, other than to say that we lived in Ava Queen Anne condos paying month to month while looking for housing. It was really expensive though. :/

Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
I used a short term suites seattle website when I first moved here. A one bedroom apartment is around $2k (slightly less) but comes furnished and the lease is flexible (one month minimum and you stay as long as you want to and just need to give 2 weeks notice before leaving).

Price wise it is not bad since it's furnished and included utilities, cable tv, internet, etc.

Untitled Document

Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Hello, kaonevar!
I've heard a lot of people say that their health improved when they went there. That's mainly what I'm looking forward to the most. I've looked into Ava Queen and they are expensive, but not too expensive so I think I'll be calling them. I'm mainly just looking for any place that will keep a roof over my head for at least a month until I can get a normal apartment. During that time I want to earn and save as much money as I can.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: