Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 33,433 times

Advertisements

I have been here for nearly three years (from Chicago) and haven't experienced any racism (I am half African American).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 AM

332 posts, read 868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daily_mist View Post
I don't think that counts as racism, sorry. It is just plain, gold old American ignorance.
But she is assuming that because of how the OP has non white skin and non white looks that English must not be his first language. Sounds prejudiced because she's making an opinion based on his darker appearance. That would be really annoying to me and I'd react rudely to it like the OP did. Hoping I don't encounter things like this if I move there for my white boyfriend

Old 02-09-2015, 02:13 AM

332 posts, read 868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
True- but racism is ignorance.
Not really. Ignorance is acting without knowledge but racism is when you are fully aware and prefer your own race (black,asian,white,hispanic,indian) and think higher of them while putting down those of other races.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 PM

337 posts, read 495,054 times
Someone asked me the other day around my neighborhood, "what are you doing around here, whitey?"

Is that rascist? Or does that not count because I'm white?

<sometimes it feels that way>

Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 PM

269 posts, read 297,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Someone asked me the other day around my neighborhood, "what are you doing around here, whitey?"

That depends on who you ask.

For some people insist that you can't have racism without power.

More significant, perhaps, is how one can attain a Master's degree in English and still not understand what racism is.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:19 PM

103 posts, read 129,006 times
true!!!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 PM

103 posts, read 129,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post

You should have said "increasing your property value sir". lol Just kidding... In my opinion that comment was very racists and rude. I will never understand why people believe they have the right to make others feel uncomfortable by yelling out crap like that.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,833,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellevueman240 View Post
You should have said "increasing your property value sir". lol Just kidding...
Actually, you're not.. THe gentrification and large influx of white people into Northeast Portland, especially Albina and Alberta turned them from gang-ridden slums into some of the most desirable neighborhoods in Portland. The property values of these places more than tripled in the 10 years of the racial diversification. Actually, these neighborhoods experienced a strange phenomenon of "Black Flight", as many black people left the neighborhoods when white people moved in. Abandoned and broken down houses and storefronts were repaired and the houses were restored. Trendy boutiques, coffeeshops, craft stores and art galleries now populate streets once filled with gritty corner stores, liquor stores, crack houses and abandoned commercial buildings and warehouses.

Facts are facts..

Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
I've witnessed racism in Seattle that I've never seen elsewhere. It's subtle. It's in the way the bus driver tenses up when a Black person asks a question a little too loudly. You can see them tense up, and shut down. It's in how white students at the UW act like anyone who's Black or Hispanic must have gotten in on some special program that lowered the entry requirements. They act like others don't belong there. It's in weird shyt like that, that's never overtly confrontational, but is very telling of the mindset. I hate that. There's no excuse for that crap these days.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 PM

603 posts, read 877,916 times
I don't find that racist I just think you are being dramatic OP. Btw I am a minority as well.

Racism is when people are being malicious based on your ethnicity. This sounds to be more of a case of a curious individual who should have kept her questions to herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area