Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you left Seattle for a sunnier climate, what large, western city in the US would you choose?
San Francisco 16 18.82%
Los Angeles 6 7.06%
San Diego 25 29.41%
Denver 14 16.47%
Phoenix 7 8.24%
Las Vegas 5 5.88%
Austin 5 5.88%
Dallas 0 0%
Sacramento 1 1.18%
Other - explain? 6 7.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,867,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Raleigh, NC

Believe it or not, the Pac NW and the southeast region both share more in common than you might think. Both have resentful natives who feel like they are being taken over by the Californians and the Yankee transplants, respectively. They are like inverse versions of each other, much like NYC is inversely similar to LA in resulting mentality (cocky, greedy, competitive, etc). The southeast is attacked more in the media, while the Pac NW sorta manages to remain out of the spotlight, except for Seattle and Portland being overrated in BS travel magazines and what not. Both place a higher value on humility (superficial humility, that is) rather than competitiveness and cockiness. Both are not as diverse as other parts of the coasts and may be a little more provincial in mindset as a result. In the southeast, humility is expressed verbally by excessively complimenting others, offering hospitality, and saying nice things. In the Pac NW, humility is expressed non-verbally, through verbal self-deprecation, or through some bizarre form of indirect high context situational brain teasing (always act like a new person is out to offend you, even if you know they aren't. That way, you can create a warm illusion of making them look superior and holier than thou, breaking Jante's Law. In the end, you make them feel special AND manage to demonize them at the same time. Brilliant.). I was not in-tune enough to survive through that in Seattle, so I left. But I think I would do better in Raleigh. It's more northern of the southern cities, so transplants can enjoy the benefits of the south without being subject to the hard-lined southern traditions and formal etiquette.

Or maybe it's more that Raleigh, NC or Charlotte is the San Francisco of the East Coast, in a very bizarre, inverted, yin-yang sorta way? Interesting to ponder.
Too bad they cannot be more like Californians, self-absorbed, inflated egos, materialistic and cocky and arrogant.. just give it time, hopefully we can catch up with the Californian people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,981,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Well - for family reasons, we've spent a chunk of time in Boulder, CO this winter. I have a terminally ill family member in Golden, CO, and my husband has an employer with an office in Longmont, CO (who was flexible about letting him work out of that office), so it was a somewhat logical in-between spot. We've done a couple VRBO's, and I can say it's been awesome! Dunno that I would have ever thought about it as a snowbird place, or even a place to consider at all, but I certainly am now.

Sunshine, snow and mountains! Hundreds of days of sunshine. Easy to drive in, powdery snow. Easily accessible mountains (Boulder is nestled right against the foothills with some amazing geological interest), and a trail system that puts Seattle's to shame. Heck, it puts the national park system to shame. We have trail running, hiking, snowshoeing and cross country skiing literally right out our back door, and downtown is 5 minutes away - ok 10 with parking. Where else can you find all that? I find I rather like the size as well. I don't need another big city - already got one. However Boulder has all the amenities and none of the traffic. It has charm, enough shopping, decent grocery stores and markets, and if I really, really need something 'big city', then Denver is ~30 minutes down the road.
Always interesting to read others perspective of the area you live in. We have been here for 15+ years and can't wait to move. Years ago we'd go into Boulder every weekend. Now we avoid it at all costs. We want to be near water, greenery, etc. we are so tired of the dry climate, traffic to get up to he mountains, etc. I have grown to really dislike the Front Range of Colorado. PNW is on our list of possibilities.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 8,444,017 times
The cost of living would keep me out of California, the heat (hot), culture (vacuous), and politics (right) out of Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Dallas. That leaves Denver and Austin. I chose Denver, due to the weather being more tolerable. One city not included would be New Orleans, which, although hot, is at least culturally vibrant and very liberal (although, for the purposes of this poll, it is on the wrong side of the Mississippi).

Although not included in the poll, another city that would be tempting would be Albuquerque, which while dry has tolerable winters and summers. In-city population is roughly comparable to Seattle. The altitude (5,321 ft) and normally low humidity keeps oppressive heat largely at bay. Santa Fe and Taos aren't far.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,321 times
I'm moving from Alamogordo, NM, to Moses Lake, WA. Let's see, if I were to ever move away from Washington state I would choose Phoenix, AZ. I don't know if any of you have ever noticed but I can buy a low-end car in Phoenix new cheaper than anywhere else I've ever seen.

For example, live right I'm thinking of trading in my 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed Sport for a brand new 2015 Kia Soul 6-speed Base model for only $12,909. Wow! Did you read that? $12,909. Whoa. With my trade that only has 43,809 miles on it and its in great shape if I put '0' down and finance the boxcar for 72 months my payment will only be $265 a month.

Consider that I'll be getting a finely-built brand new Kia that I am literally in love with. Peoria Kia next to Phoenix guarantees the most money for my trade. I'm strongly considering this trade tomorrow. Phoenix is about 490 miles from us here in Alamogordo so I've got a long ride ta get there but I've also got two more days off from work so I've got the time.

The Soul I drive now is my 3rd new Kia bought. They're actually getting better build each and every time I buy one. I've checked everywhere else in New Mexico and Arizona and nobody even comes close to these Phoenix dealers for low price. Peoria Kia currently has about 143 Soul's in stock and that's how they do it, they offer the best prices by having a higher volume of cars available for sale.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM

54 posts, read 59,772 times
Out of those cities, I would go with Austin, Dallas, or any of the CA cities. It's terribly expensive to live in CA, but it might be fun for a few years at least.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,958,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Yeah, I... don't think it's really that cold in most of the front-range. It gets windy in the winter, and there are days when the temperatures don't rise above 30. But when you compare it to places like the Dakotas, Minnesota, or parts of upper New England, that part of Colorado neither experiences the same extreme temperatures nor the amount of big-storm precipitation.

Many cities in Colorado routinely see 300+ days of sunshine a year. That's a pretty good average for someone wanting to escape Seattle's grey (so, though, is the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains -- try spending a winter in Skagit. I feel like I see the sun here more days than I don't).
In general, it's not as cold, but it absolutely does get every bit as bone-chilling frigid as New England, or Minnesota, or the Dakotas a couple times a winter. In fact, I'm not sure that there's a place that has more schizophrenic, rapidly changing weather than the Front Range, which isn't protected from the midwestern arctic blasts and is often colder than the mountains during these fronts. The difference is that there's rarely a cold snap that lasts for more than 4 or 5 days. But there are usually a handful of days where the temp barely makes it to 0 or into the single digits, and a decent number of nights where it drops well below zero- and that type of cold can occur the same week that it hits the 60's or 70's. I'll give you an example. Sunday 11/9/14, High 73, Wednesday 11/12/14 High 10, low that night of -14. That's an 87 degree swing to double digit below zero temperatures several weeks before Thanksgiving!

Overall, it's milder than people think (I loved it and thought it was fascinating), but make no mistake it can get dangerously cold on occasion- we had several homeless people freeze to death in the alley behind our apartment while we lived there. Not surprisingly, a visitor's takeaway from staying a week or two in winter could be that either the area is that it's bone-jarring tundra- or surprisingly mild!

Back to the topic, my answer would be San Francisco.

Last edited by bartonizer; 02-20-2015 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,269,924 times
I would never leave this area for a sunnier climate because I hate bright sunshine for the most part.

I am leaving this area for good though in June....moving to Alaska

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,683,015 times
I've never been to California or the Southwest, but if I were looking for a sunnier climate, I guess I might pick San Diego. I remember that city coming up on a few of those "what city best suits you" quizzes before we left D.C.

Of course, Portland and (of all places) Cincinnati came up, too.

But I don't want more sun. I like clouds and rain. The three months of sun we get in the summer is plenty for me. I'm ready for the clouds to roll back in by the time summer's over.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,798,938 times
Quote:
Always interesting to read others perspective of the area you live in. We have been here for 15+ years and can't wait to move. Years ago we'd go into Boulder every weekend. Now we avoid it at all costs. We want to be near water, greenery, etc. we are so tired of the dry climate, traffic to get up to he mountains, etc. I have grown to really dislike the Front Range of Colorado. PNW is on our list of possibilities.
Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not remotely interested in spending the summer there! However it's been nice to change it up a bit in the middle of winter. I do love that it can be snowing one day and a couple days later I can eat lunch outside wearing shorts and a tshirt and it's near 70. And traffic into the mountains? Laughably easy compare to sitting for hours while they do avalanche control, or creeping up/down Hwy2 to Steven's Pass. Anywhere there are limited roads to/from recreation - traffic is just going to be an issue.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,438,351 times
If I left Seattle for a sunnier climate, it would probably mean that I've become very old and infirm and incapable of making decisions. However, if that happened, I have close family in LA. And I'd rather not live in that God forsaken land.
But if you pointed a gun to my head and forced me to pick a large western city with a sunnier climate, it's probably be Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area