Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times

Advertisements

Who are the 15%?

Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Who are the 15%?
Not anyone *I* know...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM

534 posts, read 3,112,306 times
the list is fairly accurate. Some good, mostly not-so-good points about Seattle. It's definitely a unique place...

We also get a lot of transplants from Minnesota for whatever reason.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM

712 posts, read 1,367,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Not anyone *I* know...
15% would be a mix of people. Your hardcore Seattle people - ones that only know Seattle and have never lived anywhere else.

But to stay on topic & sum it up, Seattle is not a good place to live unless you make more than $75,000 a year and don't mind the Traffic, the Rain & awful grey skies every day & the Weird "eclectic" people with the funny glasses.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Every city you read on CD there's always something about new transplants moving in and ruining their city or locals complaining about how much things have changed. As life moves on do you really expect things to stay the same. Now I'm reading about cities like Cheyenne Wy and Billings Mt telling transplants to stay away.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM

712 posts, read 1,367,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Every city you read on CD there's always something about new transplants moving in and ruining their city or locals complaining about how much things have changed. As life moves on do you really expect things to stay the same. Now I'm reading about cities like Cheyenne Wy and Billings Mt telling transplants to stay away.

The reason I am telling people to stay away is because I made a mistake just like every other family that has moved here wanting a change for the better. I am moving away as soon as I can over to Pennsylvania. Its just a matter of getting some money saved up to move - its really tough to save money with SO many expensive bills, daycare, rent, car payment, insurance, cell phone, home phone, cable tv, internet access, groceries, kids school, GAS, school loans.

I mean you have to live, right? I am sure I speak for alot of us here when I say life can be tough in Seattle.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM

77 posts, read 368,885 times
Keep it up, Neg75. Spead the word far and wide.

TIA!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefriend View Post
You are right, "Passive-Aggressive" is a term that gets overused.
My theory is that the people who use it are the people with an
undeserved sense of entitlement who can't get the rest of the world
to agree with them about their own self-importance.

Like some rageaholic who can't organise his or her day
very well so is in a hurry, blasting up behind me and tailgating
me to try to intimidate me into joining their frantic rush.

I make sure to plan my day specifically so I don't have to rush,
but the incompitent, aggressive one will no doubt tag me as
"passive-aggressive" because I do not meet their imperious demands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1971 View Post
Exactly! The "passive-aggressive" tag is relative to the expectations of the person using it. Although, you're not as likely to hear an "in your face" comment here (unlike, say Newark, NJ, where "eff you" is used more than "hello")-- people will manifest their dissatisfaction in other, indirect, ways. Although, I meant overused as in people not using the correct definition and saying passive aggressive to describe other things they don't like about people.

Well, it's 10:06 -- I have "drink the rest of my coffee" on my planner from 10:07-10:15 and then I'll doodle on down to Pike Place from 10:16-noon, since I didn't tell myself I had to be there until 12:15, I can just take my time (smiley face -- was that comment also passive-aggressive or just "snarky" -- yet another term tagged with Seattle culture).

By the way, generally, passive aggressiveness and "snarkiness" (prone to sarcastic comments) are archetypical behaviors of people who are discontent but feel unable to change the situation. Extrapolating a little bit, but I don't find it surprising that a populace that's experienced changes that they don't like, yet are beyond their control, would exhibit this type of behavior.
It seems there are some amateur psychologists on this board, or do you two have advanced degrees in psychology, counseling, etc?

Passive-agressive is just what it said: Saying you'll do something and then not doing it; being nice to someone's face and then being mean to them behind their back, etc. It has nothing to do with a feeling of entitlement. It is not "passive-aggressive" because I do not meet their imperious demands. Passive-agressive means agreeing to "meet their imperious demands", then not. "Snarkyness" (a new term that is probably not in any dictionary yet and seems to mean whatever someone wants it to mean), if used in the sense of sarcasm, is present everywhere. So is Passive-agressiveness. It is ot exclusive to Seattle. BTW, I do have some experience in psychiatric nursing.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
You are not "living" unless you have a place to call your own and you are not throwing away money in rent.
I do not agree with this at all. In some instances, it makes much more sense to rent, especially if you have a 'deal' in an overpriced neighborhood as I do. I like were I live, my job (that I like) ties me here, as does my family. It makes much more sense for me to continue to rent my apartment that is a few hundred dollars under the market rental rate in a neighborhood that I love which is close to my job and sock that extra money away and let it earn interest than it would to max out my credit, triple my monthly housing costs, and be one paycheck away from being out on the street. So no, 'living', for me, is not defined as owning one's own home.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM

209 posts, read 820,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Ideal places to live, if you want to get a house, would be in Ohio or Pennsylvania. Only because the real estate is way more reasonable there. Also Texas would not be bad, but the weather can get to 110 degrees.

You are not "living" unless you have a place to call your own and you are not throwing away money in rent.

Personally, if comparing cities that are similar, I would choose Boston, MA over Seattle, WA. The two are similar in many respects. Boston has more character.
Mr. Negotiator, have you checked into "TAXES" and "CRIME" in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Let me inform you as to "TAXES"

Pittsburgh area home $ 300,000
Property taxes $ 7-8,000 /year
Fed income tax Yes
State income tax Yes
Local wage Tax Yes

Seattle Area home $ 550,000
Property Taxes $ 3500 / year
Fed Income Tax Yes
State Income tax NO
Local Wage Tax NO

You get the idea now?

You are going to PAY a ton of money in TAXES in PA, probably more than purchasing and financing a home in Seattle. So, where do you want your money to go, into your investment or into your Governments greedy hands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area