Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,618,166 times

Advertisements

Get a room you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,852,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It doesn't matter at all. Except you actually post anger to the point of wishful violence against people that didn't seek your company. No one makes you go to those mixers. They are typical, you are not.
First of all, I can wish violence against anyone I want.. I cannot act on it or hurt anyone, because that is illegal. Your thin-skinned and overly emotional Seattle persona I find humorous and typical. More likely, I would just wish I could give them a good slap in the face than to knock them out on the floor.. Although, knocking some of these snotty and pretentious pricks on their head would probably do them and the rest of the world some good. Go ahead and hide behind the counter when you see me though, because of how aggressive, dangerous and deranged you think I am for daring to wish harm on these kind, sweet and caring souls.

Quote:
It wouldn't matter except when you claim to own the standard by which others in Seattle should be measured. These "trailer trashy" people are able to afford some pricey accommodations.
Yeah, I guess if you think 5 people sharing a $1500 studio is living in luxury, then you are probably right.

Quote:
As for the correlation between demeanor and IT acumen - seriously?
Yeah, I know a few things about IT people.. We are unpredictable. Forget postal workers, you seriously don't want to cross an IT guy.

Quote:
The rest is equally beyond redemption. It can't be the coffee
Yes it can be.. Never get between an IT guy and his coffee.

Quote:
, you make it clear you don't find Seattle to be any better for you technically than any other place in the country and there are plenty of places in Western Washington and Western Oregon that are scenic.
No, where I live is one of the most scenic places in the country, even more than my home state of Oregon and I have lived and traveled all over Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana.

Quote:
You must be positively masochistic to continue here because Seattle isn't going to change because you don't like it.
Are you Kshama Sawant's husband/wife? If not, then who made you the prince/princess of Seattle? Guess what, I can come and go to Seattle all I please and I don't have to show you any paperwork or apply for citizenship. At least not yet.. Sorry to break your morale, but Seattle is still part of America and you cannot keep me out of there, regardless if I am in love with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Get a room you two.
Why does that sound so unromantic..

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,770,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Guess what, I can come and go to Seattle all I please and I don't have to show you any paperwork or apply for citizenship. At least not yet.. Sorry to break your morale, but Seattle is still part of America and you cannot keep me out of there, regardless if I am in love with it or not.
Sounds to me like you have no choice but to admit that Seattle is better and that in spite of your complaining, you are compelled to visit Seattle by your choice. There you are, ranting about Seattle as you sit in you car heading west on the bridge. Then you rant against Seattle as you sit in the cafe drinking the coffee you reluctantly admit is better. Then you quietly steam as you seek the favor of IT guys at social gatherings when you secretly dislike them so. It must be frustrating to need a city that doesn't really need you back.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have no choice but to admit that Seattle is better and that in spite of your complaining, you are compelled to visit Seattle by your choice. There you are, ranting about Seattle as you sit in you car heading west on the bridge. Then you rant against Seattle as you sit in the cafe drinking the coffee you reluctantly admit is better. Then you quietly steam as you seek the favor of IT guys at social gatherings when you secretly dislike them so. It must be frustrating to need a city that doesn't really need you back.

Yeah, I am agonizing in pain..

Just because I will give Seattle the respect it deserves doesn't mean I am not allowed to also critique its flaws. Sorry, I don't kneel before the Space Needle and worship it as you do..

I don't need the favor of IT guys at social gatherings.. IT guys are usually anti-social, anyhow.. Most of them will just combat me as they feel another skilled IT person is a threat and it will just be a battle of whose intellect will trump the others. The Kumbiya, let's share ideas and thought mentality is not a very Seattle trait, whether it is in IT or many other fields. Sadly, IT is definitely a field though that resonates insolence to the point of its own demise. One reason why so much software out there is crappy, improperly designed and bug-ridden is that it is not easy to teach programming and software architecture fundamentals to a group of people (software developers) who know everything. Or, so they think. LOL.

I am just sharing my experience with some Seattle social mixers I have attended and rarely attend them for this very reason. I prefer attending social mixers on the Eastside which seem much more laid back and not full of the over-bloated egos and eccentricities I frequently encounter on your side of the lake. Then again, I am an IT person who works long hours and rarely attend social mixers anyhow. A right-wing conservative guy isn't really so loved in the land of liberal fascism anyhow. But, every now and again I do leave my cave for a view of that brilliant Needle.

I also really admire downtown Bellevue's skyline and like the atmosphere of Bellevue and Kirkland. Once Bellevue builds more coffee shops, I may never cross the lake again.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,261,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Despite the high cost, homes are selling like hotcakes and people are lining up to rent those expensive apartments. There is no shortage of people willing and able to pay the prices to live here.
It's hard to believe, but it is true. It is simply incredible how there are many people that can afford so many high priced homes. It is simply incredible.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
It's hard to believe, but it is true. It is simply incredible how there are many people that can afford so many high priced homes. It is simply incredible.
If you consider 3 or 4 people sharing a studio or 1 bedroom apartment as affording a home..

Back, about almost 20 years ago when I was looking for a place to live in San Francisco, I remember how shocked all the property management places where. I was a single guy looking for my own studio. Everyone was like, "WOW! I never seen a single guy looking for his own studio before". People were amazed and asking what would I do with all that space? I mean, Wow, an entire 600 sq feet all to yourself, you will get lost in there! Now, I was coming from Oregon, where if I spent $700 /mo at the time, I could practically rent my own house. So, don't be so fooled into thinking that everyone is living like a movie star in the city. THe prices will go up, but people will just start willing to sacrifice their creature comforts in order for the luxury to just live in the "BIG, THRIVING CITY!" .. Whoopie!! You get a view of the Space Needle from your closet sized bedroom that you share with another person.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,261,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you consider 3 or 4 people sharing a studio or 1 bedroom apartment as affording a home..

Back, about almost 20 years ago when I was looking for a place to live in San Francisco, I remember how shocked all the property management places where. I was a single guy looking for my own studio. Everyone was like, "WOW! I never seen a single guy looking for his own studio before". People were amazed and asking what would I do with all that space? I mean, Wow, an entire 600 sq feet all to yourself, you will get lost in there! Now, I was coming from Oregon, where if I spent $700 /mo at the time, I could practically rent my own house. So, don't be so fooled into thinking that everyone is living like a movie star in the city. THe prices will go up, but people will just start willing to sacrifice their creature comforts in order for the luxury to just live in the "BIG, THRIVING CITY!" .. Whoopie!! You get a view of the Space Needle from your closet sized bedroom that you share with another person.

Yup, you bring up good points. That's why even though I think Seattle and the surrounding areas are beautiful, I don't think it's worth paying the high cost of housing. I live in Miami and have been going to Seattle the past 5 summers. I usually spend about 5 weeks or so in the area. Even though the area has beautiful natural resources and has lots to offer, I just don't think the high cost of living is worth it. I'll be trading a decent quality of life in Miami with a decent standard of living to move to a beautiful area but be struggling financially? No way! I'll settle for visiting for now.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM

908 posts, read 964,768 times
when people talk about high cost of living, generally are they referring to housing costs only? b/c it seems like all other things are somewhat equal to every other american city.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 PM

710 posts, read 1,400,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
when people talk about high cost of living, generally are they referring to housing costs only? b/c it seems like all other things are somewhat equal to every other american city.
Exactly. Housing is really the main culprit here. However, the poster saying it's "not worth it" really depends on your own personal interests and what you enjoy. To me it is worth it, but that's because it's a better fit for my interests and I was stuck 12+ years in Houston, Texas. I don't like heat and humidity. I don't like flat. I don't like sprawl. Whether it's by car, boat or plane, you can do pretty much anything within three hours here. Add in a mild climate year-round, and I'm sold. Yeah, it's cloudy and rainy quite a bit (not so much the last few years), but I'm one of the lucky ones it doesn't irritate.

I understand the Seattle area can be an expensive area to live for certain groups - especially families - but many metro areas are. For a single person or couple, it isn't that much worse than most other desirable metro areas if you don't plan to buy a house.

Personally, I don't feel my costs have gone up much at all - it's just shifting money around. To name a few, the amount I save monthly in electricity (literally $50-$100 per month), gas/parking (I walk/bus so much more), airfare (not as much need to fly to get away) and renter's insurance (half the cost per year) goes to the increased rent. Most other things are negligibly more expensive. To me, it's worth whatever little added cost it takes to live here since my quality of life has increased substantially.

To each his own...

Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,111,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Services cost more as well. High housing prices drive service costs. If your nanny, cleaner or gardener can't get by on less than $20/hr because of housing costs it's reflected in the price of their services.

Other things are more or less equal, but the ones that aren't start to add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area