Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 PM

8,188 posts, read 8,353,943 times

Advertisements

Great websites about farmers markets in this area:

Seattle area markets: http://seattlefarmersmarkets.org/markets

Eastside, Pierce, Snohomish Counties, Puget Sound area: Find a Farmers Market | Puget Sound Fresh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:52 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,850,277 times
The farmer's markets in Seattle are great but a real pain in the a** to park and to do any real shopping you better bring a giant backpack with you and prepare for a hike. Not a bad thing if you are a tried and true Northwestern person, right? Sadly, the inaccessibility of most farmers markets in Seattle is one thing that makes me not want to shop at them. I'm going to check out the farmers markets here on the Eastside and hope they can offer something similar to what Seattle has to offer. Ironically, many of the farmers at the markets during the produce season reside here on the Eastside, but don't necessarily go to the markets on the Eastside. Obviously, parking and accessibility would be a lot better at farmer's markets on the Eastside. It blows my mind that they put farmer's markets in the absolutely worst locations, such as Broadway in Capitol Hill, University Ave or in a part of Wallingford that has zero parking, whatsoever. How are you suppose to lug home all your groceries if you are on foot? THis is not an issue for those who live right next door and can carry their grocery homes. But for the other 3 million people in the metro who need to transport their goods, the Seattle markets are not a feasible option, except for just entertainment.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Agreed Rotse, The markets aren't accessible to everyone but great options if you can reach them. There are an increasing amount of them all around. My family and I live in Phinney Ridge and easily access (and find parking for) the University Village, Ballard, Phinney Ridge and even sometimes Colombia City markets. With the exception of Phinney Ridge, we do have to drive. We tend to make an event out of it, love taking our ten year old daughter and letting her interact with the growers, listen to music.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,791,994 times
Quote:
The farmer's markets in Seattle are great but a real pain in the a** to park and to do any real shopping you better bring a giant backpack with you and prepare for a hike. Not a bad thing if you are a tried and true Northwestern person, right? Sadly, the inaccessibility of most farmers markets in Seattle is one thing that makes me not want to shop at them. I'm going to check out the farmers markets here on the Eastside and hope they can offer something similar to what Seattle has to offer. Ironically, many of the farmers at the markets during the produce season reside here on the Eastside, but don't necessarily go to the markets on the Eastside. Obviously, parking and accessibility would be a lot better at farmer's markets on the Eastside. It blows my mind that they put farmer's markets in the absolutely worst locations, such as Broadway in Capitol Hill, University Ave or in a part of Wallingford that has zero parking, whatsoever. How are you suppose to lug home all your groceries if you are on foot? THis is not an issue for those who live right next door and can carry their grocery homes. But for the other 3 million people in the metro who need to transport their goods, the Seattle markets are not a feasible option, except for just entertainment.
So true. I often find myself at the Redmond market because we're usually out hiking, and it's more convenient to stop by that market (and park) than it is to hoof it to the one in our own neighborhood. Theoretically it's a nice perk to have one that we can walk to, but we rarely end up going to it. Plus the Redmond market has all my favorite vendors.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,850,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
So true. I often find myself at the Redmond market because we're usually out hiking, and it's more convenient to stop by that market (and park) than it is to hoof it to the one in our own neighborhood. Theoretically it's a nice perk to have one that we can walk to, but we rarely end up going to it. Plus the Redmond market has all my favorite vendors.
That's great to hear about the Redmond market. I am going to have to check out the Redmond market, as I live not very far from Redmond.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 8,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

Old 04-14-2015, 07:24 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,697,259 times
Mine weren't as fancy.. a metal cage on wheels that efficiently folded up. You can often find them at second hand stores for $5. I just "gifted" mine last month due to lack of use.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,731 posts, read 81,641,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
That's great to hear about the Redmond market. I am going to have to check out the Redmond market, as I live not very far from Redmond.
We have been to all of them, but now only go to Issaquah every Saturday. It's right across from Costco, and we found both the selection,quality, and prices to be much better than Redmond. Plenty of free parking in a multi-story garage, and live entertainment. The one in Sammamish is pretty much useless.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Something I read lately, pretty compelling:
If you spend $100 at a farmers' market, $62 goes back into the local economy, and $99 out of $100 stays in the state.

If you spend $100 at a grocery store, only $25 stays here.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,396,180 times
Renton's farmer's market also has an adjacent free parking garage. Besides supporting the local economy, farmers' markets are also fun to shop at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area