Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times

Advertisements

I spend 90% of my time in seattle working, eating, going to parks and festivals etc. and I hardly ever see the seattle police! Where are they all at? Do you guys seem them a lot and am I just not seeing them or what? Older people than me say they use be out all the time but they aren't anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 PM

426 posts, read 527,002 times
IDK, they do seem to hang out at Pine and Pioneer Square a lot

Old 04-19-2015, 04:49 AM

171 posts, read 190,262 times
YES !! So this means I can "TXT and Drive" and speed around town !!!!!!!!! lol

I have heard WA state police doesn't play around !!!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
YES !! So this means I can "TXT and Drive" and speed around town !!!!!!!!! lol

I have heard WA state police doesn't play around !!!
Or the King County Sheriff.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
They seem to focus on problem areas, like the U District, and Pioneer Square. They're around downtown and Capitol Hill, too.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I see them every day, on the waterfront in early morning, and all day long in the Pine/Pike are from the Market to about 5th, they are all over the place, usually busy making arrests.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 PM

195 posts, read 246,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I spend 90% of my time in seattle working, eating, going to parks and festivals etc. and I hardly ever see the seattle police! Where are they all at? Do you guys seem them a lot and am I just not seeing them or what? Older people than me say they use be out all the time but they aren't anymore.
There were some city budget cuts as part of the great recession, perhaps they cut back on patrols at the time and haven't ramped them back up again. When I used to attend the Mapleleaf community meetings, the local liason from the SPD said they had to cut back some services as part of the budget cuts; I think they cut the number of outreach officers for block watch programs from 3 to 1, as an example.

On the other hand, I called them a couple of years ago when I found a couple with a pickup truck taking metal from a pile in my back yard without asking (I was in the middle of remodeling my basement and had just torn out all of the duct work). Their truck was piled high with random metal that I think they had been scavenging from people's garages up and down the alley in the neighborhood.. I told this couple I was calling the cops after they gave me a phony answer about what they were doing on my property with their truck -- 4 patrol cars showed up within 5 minutes (but the couple in the truck was gone by then). So I do know the cops are out there... maybe just less visible. I do see them a lot though at the Kona Kitchen restaurant near by -- seem like eating lunch there.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
There were some city budget cuts as part of the great recession, perhaps they cut back on patrols at the time and haven't ramped them back up again. When I used to attend the Mapleleaf community meetings, the local liason from the SPD said they had to cut back some services as part of the budget cuts; I think they cut the number of outreach officers for block watch programs from 3 to 1, as an example.

On the other hand, I called them a couple of years ago when I found a couple with a pickup truck taking metal from a pile in my back yard without asking (I was in the middle of remodeling my basement and had just torn out all of the duct work). Their truck was piled high with random metal that I think they had been scavenging from people's garages up and down the alley in the neighborhood.. I told this couple I was calling the cops after they gave me a phony answer about what they were doing on my property with their truck -- 4 patrol cars showed up within 5 minutes (but the couple in the truck was gone by then). So I do know the cops are out there... maybe just less visible. I do see them a lot though at the Kona Kitchen restaurant near by -- seem like eating lunch there.
That's really weird they sent 4 patrol cars. I've called them because of a break-in, and I told them to send 2 cars; one for the alley (because the perp got into the house from the alley) and one in front of the house. They only sent 1 car with a K-9 unit, so the guy got away. The dogs can't follow a scent on cement (the alley), only on bare ground.
Years later in another location, I also had to call them for trespassers through my backyard in the middle of the night, and told them to send 2 cars, one for the front/driveway access to the backyard, and another car around the corner, because my yard backed up on a neighbor's yard, and the teenagers were crossing over into the neighbor's yard, that led to a side street. Again, they only sent one car, and the trespassers just walked away. I've always had the impression that Seattle police have no interest in catching burglars, etc. I can't imagine why they sent 4 cars to your place. It must have been a slow day.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 PM

195 posts, read 246,440 times
My guess is it was a slow day, and they had prior calls about the couple and their truck.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 PM

176 posts, read 299,398 times
They're always on 3rd & Pine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: