Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 42,106 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I hope you could help me with some advice for a transferring college stuent. I'm looking at Bellevue Community College to study interior design. I am an Asian 19 year old male from Hawaii and was wondering what Seattle has to offer.

High costs and the city life are nothing new to me. (I've traveled to many other places + Hawaii's high cost of living). I've visited Seattle for 2 days in the past and it seemed like a very prospective place but given little to judge upon - besides the negative weather and overall city views. I would like to know what the "knitty-gritty" of things are.

Housing - I'm looking into apartments/rentals that are in the $600-800 in a safe neighborhood. Are they expensive directly in Bellevue?

Transportation - Would you recommend owning a car or using public transport? The use of a car would be for errand purposes and some venturing I guess.

Clothing - I'm the "fashion-concious" type and was wondering if Seattle at all is condusive to individuality, style, artsy etc. My biggest concern is being shunned out. Dress up or dress down?

Safety - How safe is the Bellevue area and downtown Seattle? Mainly around the International District since I will do occasional shopping for Asian foods. I've heard of the enormous crime rate but I know I shouldn't let that scare me since there will be crime anywhere. Does the "don't bother them and they won't bother you" mentality work here? With gangs, cityslickers etc.

Citylife/Shopping - I am not a party/club goer but do love shopping and just venturing on foot seeing sights. I love the idea of big buildings and coffee at a cafe. Where, if any, in Seattle would this happen?

People - Being an Asian minority, how well am I going to be "accepted" by the general public? This is one of the reason why I have chosen the big city setting for the diversity one is expected to have opposed to a small town.

Other tidbits of info would be great too. This is really about a learning experience for me and going through new things. Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,052,374 times
I'm on the run so I'm just going to make a couple of comments and I'm sure you'll get a others to chime in on this.

Being Asian will not be a problem or should be a concern at all. You'll see once you arrive that the area has a very large Asian population.

You've got the right idea about crime situation. With the proper and normal precautions, the Seattle area is extremely safe compared to other large metropolitan areas ...contrary to what you will read in a couple of other active threads on this forum right now.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Housing - I'm looking into apartments/rentals that are in the $600-800 in a safe neighborhood. Are they expensive directly in Bellevue?

You should be able to find something on the east side on the upper end of that price range. Keep an eye on Craigslist to find more rental choices than you'd otherwise know about.

Transportation - Would you recommend owning a car or using public transport? The use of a car would be for errand purposes and some venturing I guess.

If you live on the eastside and you are going to BCC, you probably want a car. It's pretty easy to get around Seattle without a car, but not Bellevue.

Clothing - I'm the "fashion-concious" type and was wondering if Seattle at all is condusive to individuality, style, artsy etc. My biggest concern is being shunned out. Dress up or dress down?

Seattle is very conducive to individuality. Boy howdy is Seattle conducive to individuality. Not as sure about Bellevue, though.

Safety - How safe is the Bellevue area and downtown Seattle? Mainly around the International District since I will do occasional shopping for Asian foods. I've heard of the enormous crime rate but I know I shouldn't let that scare me since there will be crime anywhere. Does the "don't bother them and they won't bother you" mentality work here? With gangs, cityslickers etc.

Parts of downtown Seattle can be a little rough. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on the kinds of people that are around you. There is a lot of loitering along 1st, 2nd and 3rd between Union and Stewart. I tend to avoid that area except in the middle of the day. I'm not aware of any rough areas of Bellevue. The most danger you will probably find yourself in Bellevue is fighting over a parking spot at Bel Square.

Citylife/Shopping - I am not a party/club goer but do love shopping and just venturing on foot seeing sights. I love the idea of big buildings and coffee at a cafe. Where, if any, in Seattle would this happen?

Anywhere downtown, from Lake Union to Pioneer Square.

Being Asian in Seattle is not a problem at all.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
I just want you aware that Bellevue area (which is quite nice) but it's not in Seattle, it's across the water (Lake Washington) and you''d have to commute over to Seattle, which College areyou going to?

Ifyou are fashion conscious, and want something hip, and affordable - and close to UW, then we can give you some nice areas on the Seattle side of Lake Washington

Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
It will be tough to find anything in Bellevue for less than 800-900 unless you want to live with roommates, or rent a room from a homeowner. I don't care what anyone says, there are no unsafe areas in Bellevue. Even in the lower income areas, violent crime is practically non-existant.

I rode the bus when I attended BCC, but depending on where you live, you may need a car. Getting in and out of the city is super easy with bus transport.

As far as fashion, I don't think you will be "shunned" no matter how you dress, but Seattle is definitely not a fashion mecca. There are some higher end stores like Nordstrom and Barney's downtown, so if you feel like "dressing up", I am sure you will be able to find some expensive outfits.

The international district can sometimes be slightly sketchy at night, but the "mind your own business and you will be fine" axiom generally holds true. Pretty much anywhere downtown (and to a slightly lesser extent in some of the other hoods like Capitol hill, the U-district, Fremont) you will be able to sight-see on foot and find many restuarants, coffee houses, shopping, etc.. The downtown area is very vibrant and bustling, so you will get that authentic "big city" feeling. Especially during the summer when all the tourists are roaming downtown, it feels like a mini-mini-Manhattan.

Like Scirocco said, Being Asian will not be an issue. At all. It's not quite like Hawaii, but you will easily fit in.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM

51 posts, read 221,427 times
Hello everyone,

There are plenty of apartments in that range near BCC. The problem is, there are also lots of students there too, so there could be a housing crunch, but it shouldn't be a big problem if you look hard enough.

If you live within walking distance to BCC, than you will be near a major bus terminal. Busing is a good way to take in the sites and you will be able to decide if you need a car or not.

People here are very individualistic. You can pretty much dress how you like. Unfortunately, this translates into a lot of lazy dressers. Don't feel like changing out of your pajamas before you go to class? That's perfectly alright around here. The average uniform for young men around here is: sneakers, jeans, t-shirt, North Face-style jacket, baseball cap. My suggestion is to class it up and dress nicer than your average Seattlite. Girls will dig you

The only crime you might see is the drug-dealing on parts of 3rd Ave. in Seattle and Belltown. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Also, vagrancy is an issue; University Ave. near UW is a worse place for it. Just don't be a moron and refuse to lock your car and house up because "there's no way it could happen to me". (Yes, there are people like that)

People - Being an Asian minority, how well am I going to be "accepted" by the general public? This is one of the reason why I have chosen the big city setting for the diversity one is expected to have opposed to a small town.

If by general public, which I assume you mean White people, you shouldn't sweat it. Being a minority myself, and having lived here my whole life, there isn't anything especially egregious about race-relations around here. However, speaking from personal experience, there will always be a-holes who will treat you like an accursed foreigner, covertly if not overtly. Just don't deal with them if you can help it.

Other tidbits of info would be great too. This is really about a learning experience for me and going through new things. Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight!

Having gone to BCC myself, lived on the Eastside, the Westside, and parts in between, I would be glad to give you any advice I can. Just ask!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:10 PM

108 posts, read 387,010 times
Housing: given that you're a single college student, you can probably find something like an efficiency or 1bdr/1bath in Bellevue for that range. You could also look into sharing something with other students after you get settled here.

Transportation: this is just me talking, but I wouldn't rely on public transportation if you're in Bellevue. You'd potentially miss out on really fun things like driving up to Vancouver or most of the outdoor activity. Plus, it's just more convenient to have one. Maybe get an old point a to point b car just for that purpose. WA isn't too picky about safety inspections or anything, so just a basic registration is all you'll need. Little hassle to owning a car.

Clothing: in Bellevue, no one will look at you funny for dressing up if you wanted to. It's a young professional area, so you see people dressed in suits, business casual, and the like. You'll not likely be shunned just based on how you're dressed in any case (unless it's actually flannel and a trucker hat, then people will assume you're from Everett -- only half kidding).

Safety, shopping, people: the moderator and others covered that and I think they're spot on. Safety is common sense, and Seattle's not high violent crime. Shopping, there are the usual places you find in any suburb in Bellevue and more niche shopping choices in the city. People: only advice I have is to really pursue any hobbies you have and you'll meet people pretty easily through that. You might not meet that many just from going to class or hanging around your neighborhood. Ethnicity is a non-issue here for most people, but regardless of ethnicity, there's actually a significant Hawaiian population in the area, so you'll likely run into someone from your home town.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 42,106 times
Wow, thanks for the enormous amount of information!

scirocco22 - Thanks for the assurance. Safety from violent crime is my main most concern.

sean98125 - Thanks for your input. I was just wondering, how well is the metro transit like subways/rail in Seattle? Also the areas you mentioned about being rough, just what kinds of things do you see? Gangs? Bums?

CityGirl72 - Thanks and I've seen it on the maps that they are seperate. I will be going to Bellevue Community College. I was thinking whether I'd live in Seattle and commute to BCC everyway or vice versa "going into town" kinda thing.

toughguy - What have you heard about Bellevue's safety that's on the contrary? Also it's great hearing that Seattle is the vibrant bustling city I was hoping for. Thanks.

Vripper - Thank you for those key points. Awesome! I'm glad I get to speak with a first-hander about BCC. How's social life at BCC? Are the students generally friendly? How about the admin and teachers? Did the school treat you like just another "number"? What were some of the gripes you had? Also is the campus in a generally safe area?

Fallingwaters - Yeah, it's exactly what I wanted to do if I get a car, say if I had an emergency or something. Thanks for the info. Oh, and I've heard that Bellevue has or will have a metro transit? Hopefully I'd like to take on a part-time job too. I really appreciate the assurance about finding people from my hometown, great to hear.

I would appreciate if there are other college students that could voice their opinion as well! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 PM

46 posts, read 275,840 times
I'm from Bellevue and went to BCC for a few years.

Housing
Housing's definitely more expensive in Bellevue, but probably not much different than housing in downtown Seattle. Even the least expensive neighborhoods in Bellevue are safe and clean. There are some apartments in Bellevue, very close to BCC actually, on 140th St that have one-bedrooms and the like that probably fit in your price range. These are some of the most diverse neighborhoods in Bellevue.

Transportation
I think getting around is not difficult if you don't have a car, but the Eastside especially is made for cars, and I think it would be a lot easier and more convenient to have one. I think in Seattle or Bellevue, you don't have to venture to far to run errands, go shopping, etc.

Clothing
I think it's pretty much whatever here. There plenty of different styles and I doubt you'll get shunned no matter what you're wearing. In Seattle, eccentric and individual style is the norm for younger people. Take a walk down the Ave or anywhere really and you'll get the idea... very artsy and the like. Bellevue, more suburban but I think the people dress a lot more fashionable there than in Seattle. You might get the occasional glare if you have a giant blue mohawk or something but other than that I don't think it's a big issue.

Safety
Relatively speaking, Seattle is a pretty safe city compared to other big cities. Recently there's been some gang-related violent crime in Seattle, but really if you mind yourself you'll be fine.
Bellevue is ranked as one of the safest cities in America. The city is virtually safe no matter where you are, even in the poorer areas. I think car breakins are pretty much the most common crime, but it's never happened to me or anyone I know.

Citylife
Seattle is a great place to venture around. There's definitely a party/club scene but from what I've heard it's nothing special. I would say there's good shopping and little places to check out all over Seattle, if that's your thing you won't ever get bored. There's really too any places to list in my opinion. Bellevue definitely has probably some of the best shopping in the region, though not so many "mom and pop" stores that you'll find in Seattle. It's also a very coffee-centric place, but maybe not as "cultural" an experience as it would be in Seattle. Bellevue has an impressive and growing downtown too. And the area in general has some great, huge shopping centers at Southcenter in Tukwila (south of Seattle/Bellevue) and Alderwood (north).

People
Seattle is diverse and tolerant. Asians are the largest minority group by far, I would say about ~20%. It's the norm to see different race couples and groups of friends.
Bellevue has the largest % Asian population in the state - about 25% of the population is Asian, and all sorts of Asians. Chinese, Koreans and Indians are the larger groups in Bellevue. Seattle has many Chinese, Vietnamese and Filipinos. Japanese culture has had a profound affect on the area, and Asian cultures have definitely made their mark on the area. Bellevue has some really good Asian grocery stores, you probably wouldn't even have to head over to International District for the basics (though you still should because it's fun). Pretty much the entire county has a large Asian population, and though I'm not going to say discrimination doesn't happen (it's unavoidable anywhere in America), as an Asian you'll probably be very comfortable with that in the area.

I'm a college student right now, but am not in King County. I went to BCC for two years and really liked it. It's a very large, diverse campus and most people agree that it is a very quality community college. There are definitely some good teachers and opportunities to meet people, and is in a safe, very easy to access area (whether you're coming from other part of Bellevue or Seattle). I would definitely recommend going to BCC!

And about the light rail on the Eastside - it's in the works, already been approved and such, but is still several years from actually being useable. The bus system is pretty comprehensive in Seattle and even Bellevue. The Seattle area is definitely not a place to look to in terms of efficient transportation. Traffic is a real problem no matter where you are, and there aren't subways or effective rail yet. Hopefully this will change in the future, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area