Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM

678 posts, read 875,927 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Seattle from another part in the US in about 4 months. I have two major questions, and give me the short version if possible. I don't want to start an argument or over-analyzing.

1. Possible to work and live in Seattle without a car?
2. Is Seattle crowded? Will I feel claustrophobic there/ stuffy/ can I go to the many scenic water spots in the city without having to see a bunch of people crowded around?
3. Are scenic spots in the city such as Kerry Park safe to go to alone? At night?
4. Is Seattle a walkable city? (Kind of goes with number 1)
5. I'm in my early 20s. Is there a lot of youngish people in Seattle? (When I mean youngish, I mean like 18-35.)

Any help is possible. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Default Short answers

I want to move to Seattle from another part in the US in about 4 months. I have two major questions, and give me the short version if possible. I don't want to start an argument or over-analyzing.

1. Possible to work and live in Seattle without a car? ***yes***See #4 below, also can live Colombia City, Beacon Hill, Mount Baker near light rail, pretty great buses from any relatively central area.

2. Is Seattle crowded? Will I feel claustrophobic there/ stuffy/ can I go to the many scenic water spots in the city without having to see a bunch of people crowded around? ***not very compared to some US cities***. I was at Discovery Park (only a few miles to Seattle downtown) the other day, there were only a few people there.

3. Are scenic spots in the city such as Kerry Park safe to go to alone? ***Yes, just use common sense***. Kerry Park is South Slope Queen Anne, not generally thought of as a dangerous part of town.

4. Is Seattle a walkable city? (Kind of goes with number 1) ***yes, if you choose close in neighborhoods, common sense I guess***. Think Belltown, Capitol Hill, International District, Central District, First Hill, Queen Anne, SLU (South Lake Union).

5. I'm in my early 20s. Is there a lot of youngish people in Seattle? (When I mean youngish, I mean like 18-35.) ***Yes***. Many young people (especially in the tech sector) moving here from all over the world.

Any help is possible. Thank you so much.[/quote]

Short enough answers?

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-12-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

1. Possible to work and live in Seattle without a car? ***yes***See #4 below, also can live Colombia City, Beacon Hill, Mount Baker near light rail, pretty great buses from any relatively central area.

2. Is Seattle crowded? Will I feel claustrophobic there/ stuffy/ can I go to the many scenic water spots in the city without having to see a bunch of people crowded around? ***not very compared to some US cities***. I was at Discovery Park (only a few miles to Seattle downtown) the other day, there were only a few people there.

3. Are scenic spots in the city such as Kerry Park safe to go to alone? ***Yes, just use common sense***. Kerry Park is South Slope Queen Anne, not generally thought of as a dangerous part of town.

4. Is Seattle a walkable city? (Kind of goes with number 1) ***yes, if you choose close in neighborhoods, common sense I guess***. Think Belltown, Capitol Hill, International District, Central District, First Hill, Queen Anne, SLU (South Lake Union).

5. I'm in my early 20s. Is there a lot of youngish people in Seattle? (When I mean youngish, I mean like 18-35.) ***Yes***. Many young people (especially in the tech sector) moving here from all over the world.

Short enough answers?[/quote]

Yes, perfect. These questions were just feelings that I had and needed to be confirmed by someone, and you have confirmed them.
You were very helpful, thank you.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM

You are welcome! Where are you moving from?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You are welcome! Where are you moving from?
Aiming to move to Seattle in a few months from the LA/Orange County region.
I have always been fond of Seattle due to it's bigcity/smallcity feel, fresh air, tall green trees, blue lakes, and cool temperature. I don't get a lot of nature here in SoCal or fresh air.
I would also love Seattle for its close proximity to Canada. I want to live in America but be able to drive a few hours and be in a different country. I have that chance in SoCal but I don't want to be near THAT border, if ya know what I mean.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Welcome (almost) to town. I used to live near Griffith Park in LA when I was in my 20s and my son is a freshman at Chapman University (I'm not in my 20s anymore in the town of Orange. The trees are green up here!!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Welcome (almost) to town. I used to live near Griffith Park in LA when I was in my 20s and my son is a freshman at Chapman University (I'm not in my 20s anymore in the town of Orange. The trees are green up here!!
Nice to feel welcomed.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
1. Yes, city-proper. Outside, it is "possible" but not fun.

2. My personal opinion is "about what you'd expect of a city of 750K souls." Have you been to bigger cities, like Manhattan, for comparison? To me, THAT is crowded. Chennai, India, at 8 million people put even Manhattan to shame (similar scale, though). Answer: "it depends!"

3. Wandering around a big city at night, in a state that allows *legal, safe, non-lethal* self defense, logically means a little preparation. I've been to dozens of major cities, and there is always...always...a tiny fringe of predators looking for dinner. Seldom-met, if you use common sense, but they do exist. Those who don't prepare to at least "escape trouble" are living in a cocoon. Thank God, Washington allows the above: in an emergency, if such measures are deployed, no one is *permanently* harmed (unless absolutely necessary, the last extremity). Make sense?

4. Heck yes. I've walked one end to the other, day and night, though the latter isn't much fun because, well, if the fringers exist, that's when they often come out, right? Don't invite trouble.

5. I have no idea, look at the demographics data on this site or US Census (guessing).

Hope it works out, assuming you have a career and/or something lined up. Sucks to be poor in Seattle.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post

1. Possible to work and live in Seattle without a car?
2. Is Seattle crowded? Will I feel claustrophobic there/ stuffy/ can I go to the many scenic water spots in the city without having to see a bunch of people crowded around?
3. Are scenic spots in the city such as Kerry Park safe to go to alone? At night?
4. Is Seattle a walkable city? (Kind of goes with number 1)
5. I'm in my early 20s. Is there a lot of youngish people in Seattle? (When I mean youngish, I mean like 18-35.)

1. Yes, especially in Capitol Hill, First Hill, Queen Anne, Uptown, Belltown, North Beacon Hill, U District, Ballard.
2. Not crowded, once outside the downtown core. Go to Discovery Park to have practically a whole beach to yourself.
3. Yes, pretty much. There are homeless encampments in some of the greenbelts, which you might want to avoid at night.
4. Yes, if you like walking up hills!
5. Yes, but because of the tech boom, there are quite a few more younger males than females, which can make dating a big challenge, if you're a straight guy, that is.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 AM

Hey CrazyDonkey, that's what I said. I like you already .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: