Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:29 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
Oh no? Why's that?
wedontspeaklikethatintheseparts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Does anyone in here sail? Is sailing a big thing in Seattle/Washington?
Oh hell yes, highest ratio of boats to people in the country, maybe the world.

Camera facing Shilshole marina, one morning -

Turn 180 degrees -

Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM

69 posts, read 89,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
wedontspeaklikethatintheseparts
Well considering I'm not from "these" parts and I don't plan to live in Cali, wouldn't I just be conforming to the stereotypical dumb east coasters that annoy you by saying Cali?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
pete98146 - Thanks for all the input. Two questions... One, if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave Annandale VA? I'm not the kind of guy to just jump into scenarios without some ace-in-the-hole; so I've also been looking at other places to live if Seattle/Washington doesn't work out. (Mainly east coast) Two, would you just say this "Seattle/Scandinavian Freeze" is literally in Seattle? We might not actually end up in Seattle but the surrounding areas. I've heard Redmond and Bellevue are really nice towns. Someone also told us to look into Tacoma but I haven't looked at that yet. I'm really not a huge socializer. I have friends and things I enjoy to do but I'm more of the person that would rather snowboard, kayak, bike, drive or work on a project than sit at a bar or meeting area and shoot-the-sh*t. If I'm at a social gathering and have something to do or a task to complete (which I usually do) then I'd rather be there. My idea of socializing is going for a ride on my bike or snowboarding and then after maybe have a beer over some food before heading home. Maybe I will fit right in... lol I'm never outward rude to anyone for no reason though... Just wanted to throw that in there.

I agree with you on the "people are people" however neighborhoods do affect a person's character quite a bit. Definitely superficially if not down deep too. I've lived in the burbs for some 10 years now and whenever I hang out with someone from the Bronx I feel an instant connect. I guess because I never really assimilated into this areas suburban, rich, privileged, drug abusing, lack-of-consequence mentality, which is astonishing here, I never really grew too many connections to the population here. Like Pete98146 said, when I lived in the city there were block parties, people looked out for one another (some didn't of course) and it was just different.
My father was a career officer in the Air Force and worked at the Pentagon. He retired and our family moved back to Oregon. I decided to follow them back and got a job in Seattle.

Regarding the Seattle/Scandinavian Freeze, I do think the epicenter of this dilemma is metro Seattle. The farther you get away the more it dissipates. Yes, Redmond and Bellevue are very nice towns. If the commute weren't so bad for me, I'd probably live there. If you are a biker you may want to check out living near the Burke Gillman Trail. It's a 30 mile trail that spans from Seattle to the eastside and it's a fun ride.

Sounds like you are a low key type of guy so I'm sure you'll fit in well here. I used to work in the reinsurance industry and our home office was downtown Seattle. We'd often bring employees over from our NYC branch for training which would last a year or two. The ones that didn't enjoy Seattle where the ones with the "hard NY attitude." You know the ones I'm talking about.

I'm sure you'll do fine if you move here!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Gardyloo - Pictures are worth a 1000 words hahaa. Thank you. Looks like a lot of fun and beautiful

Old 07-24-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
My father was a career officer in the Air Force and worked at the Pentagon. He retired and our family moved back to Oregon. I decided to follow them back and got a job in Seattle.

Regarding the Seattle/Scandinavian Freeze, I do think the epicenter of this dilemma is metro Seattle. The farther you get away the more it dissipates. Yes, Redmond and Bellevue are very nice towns. If the commute weren't so bad for me, I'd probably live there. If you are a biker you may want to check out living near the Burke Gillman Trail. It's a 30 mile trail that spans from Seattle to the eastside and it's a fun ride.

Sounds like you are a low key type of guy so I'm sure you'll fit in well here. I used to work in the reinsurance industry and our home office was downtown Seattle. We'd often bring employees over from our NYC branch for training which would last a year or two. The ones that didn't enjoy Seattle where the ones with the "hard NY attitude." You know the ones I'm talking about.

I'm sure you'll do fine if you move here!!!
Thanks pete98146, we are really looking forward to the move. It will definitely be an experience even if, for some reasons, it just isn't for us. I know what you're talking about with the "hard NY attitude". Those people are usually urban dwellers and live and breath the city with a biased opinion towards anything else. Some may say condescending.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Don't call it "Cali".
LL Cool J is the only one who gets a pass on this.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:23 PM

202 posts, read 240,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
LL Cool J is the only one who gets a pass on this.
Yep!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM

The whole "Cali" thing just had me intrigued... I spoke to two friends that live(d) out in California and both said that no one ever made a big deal over Cali. He lived in San Diego for years. It was never even brought up to them.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 AM

426 posts, read 527,165 times
I lived in SoCal briefly and not heard about this until recently. While reconsidering a move back, I only learned about the Cali vs. Calif thing (on City-Data -- maybe it's new?). So I was kinda shocked when some friends, born and raised in California, kept asking me, "Are you coming to Cali?" I told them some people disliked that, but they never heard of it either.

Last edited by CityWok; 07-27-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area