Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times

Advertisements

Most windows here open side to side, not up and down, which means you need portable a/c units. I have 5, bought them all refurbished (LG brand) for about $230 each. They have been a worthwhile investment for us.

Our comes with screws so no one can slide the window open any further. That takes care of the burglar concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:57 PM

233 posts, read 250,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Most windows here open side to side, not up and down, which means you need portable a/c units. I have 5, bought them all refurbished (LG brand) for about $230 each. They have been a worthwhile investment for us.

Our comes with screws so no one can slide the window open any further. That takes care of the burglar concern.
Where I live (Kent), no way I'd leave a downstairs window open...screws or not. Way too many thieves around this town.
I'm lucky (so far) they just don't break a window.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 PM

156 posts, read 236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post

My windows are not like that....I am sorry I am not sure of the proper term...it is a midcentury building and the windows are large single pane and each panel opens from the inside out, hinged on the side. There is a clasp to lock it but that is an all or nothing thing. Basically, if you open it even a small crack there is no way to prevent someone standing outside from pulling it open the rest of the way. A large man could easily come through without even breaking glass. And as you mentioned, USED portable units are selling for over $200....so that alone is a good incentive for a crackhead to target your home/apt. Used a/c units sell on Craigslist like hotcakes.

If my landlord would install bars, then I could buy one like yours and somehow rig up something with my window to vent it, but as it stands, I have been roasting all summer. Police dept has a neighborhood liaison officer who will come to your home or apt complex and do a free security report, making recommendations for your safety. She was HORRIFIED when she came here and even sent a copy to my management company but it did no good. Needless to say I am looking for a new rental My bad for renting this place while i was still out of state.

It is a shame to pay high rent and then have to invest over $1000 in portable a/c units. I have only dealt with traditional window units but you confirmed what I heard: that you must purchase many of the portables to get the same effect, and they do cost way more per unit new. You got a deal there...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
For security get a little larger unit such as 10-12,000BTU that slide out of their case. These can be mounted quite securely to a window sill and the window can be locked down with pens or screws with brackets. Would require breaking a window which is a way of entry regardless of the A/C in the window. Casement type windows present a big problem for mounting window units. The window would require altering ..glass cutting etc. In this event you could spend a bit more and get a portable A/C that sits in the room and vents outdoors through a hose.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:19 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post
My windows are not like that....I am sorry I am not sure of the proper term...it is a midcentury building and the windows are large single pane and each panel opens from the inside out, hinged on the side. There is a clasp to lock it but that is an all or nothing thing. Basically, if you open it even a small crack there is no way to prevent someone standing outside from pulling it open the rest of the way. A large man could easily come through without even breaking glass. And as you mentioned, USED portable units are selling for over $200....so that alone is a good incentive for a crackhead to target your home/apt. Used a/c units sell on Craigslist like hotcakes.

If my landlord would install bars, then I could buy one like yours and somehow rig up something with my window to vent it, but as it stands, I have been roasting all summer. Police dept has a neighborhood liaison officer who will come to your home or apt complex and do a free security report, making recommendations for your safety. She was HORRIFIED when she came here and even sent a copy to my management company but it did no good. Needless to say I am looking for a new rental My bad for renting this place while i was still out of state.

It is a shame to pay high rent and then have to invest over $1000 in portable a/c units. I have only dealt with traditional window units but you confirmed what I heard: that you must purchase many of the portables to get the same effect, and they do cost way more per unit new. You got a deal there...
Well, the cooler weather looks to be here, so you won't need to worry about 90 degree days until next June or July. Find an apartment on an upper floor with good airflow, where you can leave windows open and at least deploy fans. I only use fans (with west facing windows) and do just fine. If willing to give you permission to install a window unit and/or a ceiling fan, get it, and any conditions, in writing.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:52 AM

156 posts, read 236,113 times
Yes, I am so thankful for cooler weather. Amazing it is still about 78 in my BR even after how many days of cool. I know Craigslist et al is tedious but I am hoping something will shake out now that most people have moved for the year. In the 2 years of dealing with trying to get the window bars, this place has had 3 managers, each of whom said they were "working on it" ....I should not have given them the benefit of the doubt for so long.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
The average highs for July, August, and September don't even reach the 80's. They barely crack 75.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate
75 is a pretty high average. That indicates a lot of days in the 80's.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforhorseparadise View Post
Yes, I am so thankful for cooler weather. Amazing it is still about 78 in my BR even after how many days of cool. I know Craigslist et al is tedious but I am hoping something will shake out now that most people have moved for the year. In the 2 years of dealing with trying to get the window bars, this place has had 3 managers, each of whom said they were "working on it" ....I should not have given them the benefit of the doubt for so long.
Oops, weather report says we're going back to the 90s later this week.

Must have a bargain rent to have stuck it out that long. I'd just move.

If they try to keep your deposit, take them to small claims court, using the letter from the police and a video or photos showing the temperature in the unit at various times (mid-afternoon, midnight, early morning) as evidence of inhabitability.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:17 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Oops, weather report says we're going back to the 90s later this week.
Err, where do you get your weather? According to the two I check, we'll be lucky (if that's the word) to hit 80.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Err, where do you get your weather? According to the two I check, we'll be lucky (if that's the word) to hit 80.
Out of the corner of my eye on NWCN...

Might have been for "eastern" WA, or Boise - they've got another weather report coming up. I'll verify, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area