Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,974,378 times

Advertisements

I was wondering- in the last few years, have you, in your neighborhood, witnessed an increase in folks driving at reckless speeds down residential streets? What is your neighborhood, either way?

I sure have, and have just figured it was a regrettable side-effect of Seattle's recent growth. I was curious if others have noticed it too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I was wondering- in the last few years, have you, in your neighborhood, witnessed an increase in folks driving at reckless speeds down residential streets? What is your neighborhood, either way?

I sure have, and have just figured it was a regrettable side-effect of Seattle's recent growth. I was curious if others have noticed it too...
I've noticed folks driving at reckless speeds on the freeways as well. It's always that idiot who zips by at 85 miles and hour and then slams their brakes on just as the traffic slows in a congested area.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM

368 posts, read 695,903 times
Yes. And have seen lots of out of state plates who don't know where they're going and then give the finger when they're in the wrong lane or at an intersection where they don't know who yields. Maybe slow down and not drive like an A-hole until you at least know the area.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post

I've seen it quite a bit off of NE 125th Street since the road diet. Lots of traffic shifts off to the side streets to avoid having to wait two or three light cycles during afternoon rush hour at NE 125th & 15th Ave NE.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
You'll get a lot of opinions, with tons of subjectivity.

So here's my opinion, and my subjectivity is "suburbia streets of NorKirk neighborhood, Kirkland WA".

No, I haven't seen any increase. My street is double-lined and a reasonable arterial side-street for parents to get their kids to either the Jr. High (north) or elementary (south). Also for those living top of the hill (Crestwood Park) it's a logical ingress/egress route, those being deliberately rather limited in the area due to both design and the former train tracks / current Cross Kirkland Corridor that has very few road crossings in the area (only two, that I know of).

There are no speed bumps on my street, and don't recall thinking there should be any. Even though sometimes people go belting up the hill faster than they should, it being 1) a 25mph zone and 2) in school season, there are kids that walk up and down the street. Mostly middle-schoolers who are smart enough to keep out of the street...and there are big sidewalks...but in the morning it's little kids and parents, too. Deadly serious, in terms of safety.

I'm the guy who loves Kirkland's finest setting up obvious yet clever speed "traps" for miscreants around my general area. They're smart enough to understand public pressure to head off traffic trouble before it starts. I don't know if they write "a lot" of tickets, but I've seen a few pulled over here and there.

All I ask, and practice myself, is to just *slow it down, man* when there are "School" signs or obviously close to the middle and elementary schools. Do this year round, as a best-practice. There are a few times I've been tempted to run down some a**hat who belts up my street at 35 or 40mph, but both my temptation and incidents are rare. Vigilantism solves nothing, anyway. If I saw the same car doing the same thing every day for weeks, I'd talk to the cops about it. Doesn't happen, though. Yet, anyway.

Since there isn't tons of room to grow anything in NorKirk, volumes probably aren't up, going back to the original question. A few new houses here and there, a lot of major renovations, but that's it.

Central (downtown) has new condos going up, they're close to opening (guessing Spring 2016), that will probably increase minor street traffic volumes a bit.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM

233 posts, read 250,873 times
Yes....in the past ten to twenty years in general I have seen a marked increase in speeding in residential areas, near schools, playgrounds, and shopping centers. I would guess it is due to the fact that our society has become so self-absorbed and also having faces glued to a GIZMO half the time.
Other than more police (that isn't going to happen...too expensive), I don't see it getting any better. The younger crowd seems especially liable to behave this way. Add to it the typical female that is freaked out because she can't budget her time properly...and she fly's through the neighborhood or even worse...store parking lot....like a wild devil. Guys do it too...just not as common in my experience. Although in my neighborhood I have this low-brow troglodyte that likes to hop on his "toys" (ATV's, and go-cart) zipping around the community as though the law doesn't apply to him. And why wouldn't he think this? The police are too busy dealing with more serious crimes...until a kid gets hit.

As a side note...when I motion my hands to slow down to the suspecting vehicles...I just get flipped off.

Gotta love modern American culture...such charmers.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
I too, was a road idiot during the adolescent days. Fortunately, I grew tired of the tickets and even an impound. And I agree and am disappointed by the gross lack of driving skill here in the East Bay Area. Police don't seem as interested in enforcing traffic law as they apparently need to be in Los Angeles. But then, unpleasant as it can be, that is one way that we get the point of vehicle operation. In spite of claims made by manufacturers of sporty toys, fun is supposed to be only an enhancement to driving, not the objective.

Schools and neighborhood speed limits regarding the elderly, disabled and children are irrelevant as everyone in their too-fast-the-street rod is in a furious hurry to speed and tailgate their way to some non-urgent (fast food, first onto the freeway on/off ramp, gas station, etc.) destination. Lots of lane hopping, ignoring signs, illegal 'maneuvers' and general rudeness is the norm now. Even people who appear to be super mild and polite seem to morph into uber-impatient texting fiends once behind the wheel of their favorite machine.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:54 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Or you get the complete opposite. I drove from Seattle over to Bellevue last night for the MNF games. Was enjoying the surprisingly light traffic on eastbound 405 when I had to slam on my brakes. I looked up and some guy 3 cars up was driving 45 mph on the freeway. Hopped into the middle lane and passed him and instantly understood why he was driving 45 mph. Guess it's difficult to steer your car with your knees while your left hand is holding a lighter and your right hand is holding a 3 foot bong. LOL! Quite the sight...

Old 09-15-2015, 02:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
It's always Californians.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
People are moving here from the east coast and all over the world and bringing their driving habits with them. Whatever happened to good old Seattle passive kindness?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area