Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

It was made in the mid sixties, when the Seattle area had only 1.5 million people , as big as Buffalo today. Now it has just under 4 million and except for straightening out the S curves, nothing has been seriously done to improve it. There are carpool lanes coming soon, but you have to pay up to 10 dollars to use them.
I can think that maybe some of the real old ones back East like I278 back in NYC, but they have been around for over 100 years and it's harder to widen in a big city with mass concrete than it is around where 405is.
In fact, Seattle is one of the few cities where it's bypass loop is actually WORSE than it's mainline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:49 AM

233 posts, read 250,473 times
I don't know....I rather doubt it's the worst in the U.S. It is bad though.

I do recall a loop that encircles Indianapolis. I was on that during a horrific traffic jam. Must have taken me a good hour just to get around the city from west to east.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It was made in the mid sixties, when the Seattle area had only 1.5 million people , as big as Buffalo today. Now it has just under 4 million and except for straightening out the S curves, nothing has been seriously done to improve it. There are carpool lanes coming soon, but you have to pay up to 10 dollars to use them.
I can think that maybe some of the real old ones back East like I278 back in NYC, but they have been around for over 100 years and it's harder to widen in a big city with mass concrete than it is around where 405is.
In fact, Seattle is one of the few cities where it's bypass loop is actually WORSE than it's mainline
There are already carpool lanes on I-405, always have been (at least in recent memory). Nothing is being done, all they did was add a lane to a few mile stretch of it and will use both that lane and the existing carpool lane for tolling, forcing people to have to pay to drive in those lanes unless they have more than 3 people (used to be 2 minimum). So in reality traffic will get worse.

The part of 405 north of highway 522 all the way to I-5 at Lynnwood will also now be tolled in the existing carpool lane with no new lanes added. so absolutely no upgrade was done there. Complete idiocy!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The part of 405 north of highway 522 all the way to I-5 at Lynnwood will also now be tolled in the existing carpool lane with no new lanes added. so absolutely no upgrade was done there. Complete idiocy!
Carpools and motorcycles can use either toll lane for free, but will need a Good to Go pass. Carpools will have to have three passengers, because the existing two-passengers carpool lanes are not meeting federal standards for average vehicle speed (they're clogged).

Yeah, if you're a two-person carpool, you're on the short end of the stick. Either pay the toll, move to the slow lane, or buy a backseat "Freeway Buddy(tm)".

If you're a higher-capacity vehicle (3-person carpool, vanpool, or bus), you're going to get to where you want to go quicker and with more reliable trip times.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:02 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
And did you know you have to actually get APPROVED for a carpool pass (Flex Pass)? Welcome back to communism.

Quote:
To qualify, you need to carpool on I-405 between Bellevue and Lynnwood on a regular basis (at least once per week and with at least one other person) and live, work or play in the I-405 corridor. Your address or trip destination registered with RideshareOnline.com must be in King or Snohomish counties.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Tolling/405/freepass.htm

Old 09-12-2015, 10:02 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
YES !! and I have lived all over the US and Europe .
I even use the carpool lane , legally .
I love Def Leppard and have seen them countless times in countless places over 35 years but I am going to go see them for the second time in Auburn on Wednesday and coming from Everett I am already dreading 405 but on a wednesday its not going to matter much HOW I get there , leaving early is the only way . .

to the above poster , WHAT does communism have to do with a flex pass?? Good Grief .

Old 09-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
And did you know you have to actually get APPROVED for a carpool pass (Flex Pass)? Welcome back to communism.

WSDOT - I-405 Express Toll Lanes - Get a Free Pass
That's for a free pass. It's an incentive program. Usual cost is $15.

WSDOT - Good To Go! - Flex Pass

Old 09-13-2015, 01:41 AM

$15 per month? $15 per day? What is it?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
$15 per month? $15 per day? What is it?
One time, per vehicle. The Flex Pass is mounted on the inside of the windshield. The Flex Pass allows switching between HOV and TOLL modes.

You need the Flex Pass to drive for free as a carpool in an express toll lane. If you only want to pay the toll, then all you need is a regular Good to Go! pass ($5).

WSDOT - I-405 Express Toll Lanes - How to Pay

Not unlike the ORCA Card for transit, which has a one-time $5 fee.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 AM

do you need both (good to go and flex pass)? Does the flex pass work for 520 bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area