Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 PM

209 posts, read 820,601 times

Advertisements

Over the past 2 weeks the Fed cut the rate 1.25 points, yet Mortgage rates have risen .31 points in just the past week alone. The bottom is in as of last week on Mortgage rates. The expectation is for higher rates going forward.

If you are a potential homebuyer in the greater Seattle area, now would be a really good time to lock in a 30 year mortgage at a rate under 6%. If inflation rears it's ugly head going forward (and it will in my opinion) due to the low value of the US dollar, rates will continue this weeks uptrend.

See this article

Rates rise a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM

37 posts, read 159,144 times
No one, not even you can predict the trend of rates. Give me a life.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykcragun View Post
No one, not even you can predict the trend of rates. Give me a life.
You are correct.

However, one CAN say that rates are at absolute "Historical" lows and chances are with the low dollar and inflation creeping in (Fuel and Food prices for example) the dollar will be propped up at some point in the very near future by RAISING rates.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
One can also say that home prices may drop 10 percent in the next year. On a $400,000 dollar home, you will have paid $400,000 in February for something that is worth $360,000 a year later. Using the same logic as the original scenario, one could argue that if you DIDN'T buy a home now, you can save $40,000.Hrmm. That works out to $19.23 for 2080 hours (a standard work year). That's how much money.... one could lose...by buying right now. It's like losing a year of pay. WOW. A lot of option ARMS are due to reset, right around the corner. The market ain't going nowhere. As I posted in another thread...there are currently 50 percent more homes on the market in King county than there were at this time last year. There are not 50 percent more buyers who are willing to overpay for a home. Even realtors are saying that if your home doesn't sell by May....it most likely won't sell this year.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Don't wanna argue with you 70 Ford, but if you are going to calculate like that, you need to add in a guranteed $15 grand for your rental and possibly a higher mortgage rate for the lifetime of your loan. Those 2 combined could exceed that possible downside risk of 40 grand by a good margin.

Prices have already come down substantially, and as one who is trying to sell I can tell you that there has been alot more activity in the past 3 weeks with arranged showings and attendence at Open houses, compared to Oct-Nov Dec of last year..

Betcha January's numbers shows an uptick in closings and February's will be a lot higher.

My 2 cents on what I am seeing and hearing.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
That's true.... If you stay 30 years. Who stays 30 years? You really have to do a cost analysis as to what is better for you and your life plans/goals. My god, I sound like a Realtor. (With A Capital R) Good points, CondorII. I guess we'll see......Good luck selling your home, too. As someone who has sold a home before, I'd daresay...it's stressful. I wish you the best.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM

327 posts, read 963,077 times
I've been told by people in the real estate business that now is the best time to buy. Of course, it's a good time to buy. It's always a good time to buy for them since their paycheck is directly proportional to the sales business.

Personally, I think now is the worst time to buy. If you currently own a home and want to refinance into a lower rate, good for you. Now is your opportunity. But for the rest of us looking to buy, I say wait another 6-12 months. Let's face it....most people aren't in the home owning business for 30 years. If you're young, you're likely to live in a home for 5-10 years and then upgrade to another home, or relocate to new city. We can't afford buying in an unstable economy when we're not planting roots for 30 years. Sure the tax shield of owning a home is great, but jumping in right now just seems too risky for most young families. The category of ready, willing, and able buyers in this market is much smaller than Realtors want you to think.

All trends show that prices are continuing to drop. The Case-Shiller Home Price Index shows that Seattle is behind the curve of the rest of the country, but indicates that Seattle is playing catch-up to the rest of the market. Home price growth is down and will probably dip into the red this year (5-10% seems likely).

The bottom line is buyers are protesting the Seattle market prices because prices are no longer reasonable. A family making $75K cannot afford a $460K mortgage. It just isn't remotely possible. You need more like $150K family income to make that happen. Sure we can lower interest rates to the point where a family earning minimum wage can buy a house. But, isn't that what got us in this mess to begin with? It's obvious that salaries are not going to catch up with the cost of living. Prices need to either go down or remain flat for the next 6 years to allow incomes to catch up.

I'm sick of hearing about Seattle's perfect little economy. Folks, it's not recession-proof. It doesn't matter what the Seattle economy is like. If you have a backlog of inventory and not enough buyers, prices are going to have to come down. It happened last year and it'll continue to happen this year.

However, the original premise that started this thread is true. If you have an ARM that's about to expire, refinance into a 30 year fixed!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:26 PM

91 posts, read 372,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
I've been told by people in the real estate business that now is the best time to buy. Of course, it's a good time to buy. It's always a good time to buy for them since their paycheck is directly proportional to the sales business.
You make a very good point,3 months ago I was sure Seattle area would miss the downturn completely thanks to the strong economy in the area,but we are about to buy this week or next in ALKI BEACH or EAST BREMERTON and the same money we intended on spending last year late summer gets us a lot closer to the Beach now,about 6 blocks closer for the same type property...that seems to me that prices are coming down as the streets we looked at today were only wishful think last year,but definately can be had on our budget today.....

Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM

St.Croix to Seattle

Please check your personal mail on this website (top right corner)

Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM

236 posts, read 472,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Over the past 2 weeks the Fed cut the rate 1.25 points, yet Mortgage rates have risen .31 points in just the past week alone. The bottom is in as of last week on Mortgage rates. The expectation is for higher rates going forward.

If you are a potential homebuyer in the greater Seattle area, now would be a really good time to lock in a 30 year mortgage at a rate under 6%. If inflation rears it's ugly head going forward (and it will in my opinion) due to the low value of the US dollar, rates will continue this weeks uptrend.

See this article

Rates rise a bunch
The 30 year rates are rising because the fed fund rate cut was to bail banks out and to help banks bail each other out. Someone said you cant predict rate movements but anyone who has a good understanding of monetary policy knows you can predict what the fed will do next. The Fed is in a catch 22. Inflation is really high but banks are getting drug down because of thousands of defaulting loans. So its either sit back an watch the economy spin the economy into an all out recession or try to boost consumer and investor confidence while bailing banks out at a cheaper rate. I suspect that is why many like myself believe rate cuts wont stop the recession we are in currently and it will continue to get worse. If you read bloomberg or business week the fed has already acknowledged that inflation is far more important than the credit crisis so they will start to consider raising interest rates to hedge inflation when the economy "recovers" but seeing the trend things wont recover anytime soon. Everyone is over extended in debt while inflation increases making everyone essentially get pay cuts while things are getting more expensive. We are in for a bumpy ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area