Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:41 AM

83 posts, read 94,529 times

Advertisements

If you aren't moving until 2017, that is quite a while away. Things that seem affordable now, may or may not be affordable then given how crazy Seattle real estate prices are getting. There is a LOT of money and people flowing in and inventory is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:07 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakTrees View Post
Thank you homesinseattle. Yes, just realizung ths seattle side/east side split now. Attracted to eastside as well since we do need a biggish lot (for our dogs and children), and need a bigger house (we are a multi-generational family, with grandparents in tow). Our budget limit is the upper hundred thousands. Hopefully that should get what we need.
Ah, you said nothing about dogs (plural) in your original post...

How many, how big, what breed? Also, what do you consider "expensive", and for what (be specific)? Do your grandparents drive, or will they need convenient transit, for instance? Help us help you

Old 01-24-2016, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,050 times
Thank you homesinseattle, when we visit Seattle this spring, we will definitely put Kirkland on our list. Just looked up the schools there, the Explorer and Discovery middle school looks greatbin Kirkland.
PNWGuy, we're from LA, biggish lot for us means anything over 6000sf :-). I realize that anything with big acreage means a lot of maintenance, but we at least would like to raise our own fruit, vegetables and have a chicken coop.
Thank you for the great advice and reality check.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:21 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Sure OakTrees, happy to help. Here is a neat Kirkland neighborhood blog you may like: Kirkland Views

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 PM

83 posts, read 94,529 times
East side for sure then.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 AM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Yeah, I am going to second the east side. Walk able city living is nice on paper, but if you're hauling kids, grandparents and maybe dogs that means you need a large car and parking becomes an issue. Diss suburban living all you want, but at least it comes with the general assumption that businesses include free parking. I recently had to crawl in through the sliding door of my minivan to pull out of a compact spot in an underground parking lot in Seattle. It was pretty impressive that the Outback that parked next to me was able to get into that spot without leaving any marks on my van, Outbacks and minivans aren't exactly compact, we were shoehorned into those spots.

Finally, while I know in LA public transit is generally avoided, you should take a ride on a Sounder Transit bus, you might be able to increase where you are looking if you are willing to use a Park and Ride.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 PM

25 posts, read 22,759 times
Default Magnolia!

We just moved from Boston to the Seattle area with three middle school aged boys. We looked everywhere and decided on Magnolia and couldn't be happier! We are both working downtown so Magnolia is perfect, easy bus ride to and from work. My boys are all enrolled in Catherine Blaine school. We moved in time for them to start school before summer break and I was extremely impressed with everyone in Blaine from the kids to the staff. We are very happy with Magnolia and would not hesitate to recommend it!

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:14 AM

73 posts, read 90,434 times
Magnolia

Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM

22 posts, read 27,503 times
Will you be renting or buying? I would recommend renting first while you get to know the area.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 27,503 times
Ironically, we have been considering moving to Orange County/LA area. It's a very difficult decision - too much to love here!

We rent a large 5 bedroom 2800 sq ft home in the Eastgate neighborhood of Bellevue for $2700. We are on a 9,800 sqft lot. We've lived here for 3 years and hope to buy in 2 - once our two oldest kids leave the nest . Most of the rental homes in this area will range from $2500-$3200. According to Zillow, this home is worth nearly $800,000, however there are homes in the 400,000-500,000 range in other Bellevue neighborhoods. They are usually about 1500 square feet and need TLC (some more than others).

Bellevue is a beautiful city and is so GREEN. It is called the City in a Park for good reason. Tall evergreen trees, scenic views, trails and parks abound. Even on the darkest days you can find beauty.

405 can get congested and I try to avoid it when I can, but other than that there is very little to no local traffic. Even rush hour isn't that bad (okay, unless you are on 148th St!) and with a few extra turns can be avoided.

The schools are great. Don't use Great Schools for ratings. I like Niche and find it to be much more accurate. I've also included the link to Washington State Report Card for Bellevue School District.

https://k12.niche.com/t/bellevue-king-wa/
http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/sum...4&year=2013-14

When I have more time, I will try to add some other benefits to living in this area.

Last edited by kmanz; 07-13-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area