Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

I lived in Mill Creek (north of Bothell) more than a decade, and Kirkland for half that long thus far, NorKirk section. Enjoyed another person's comment about Rose Hill, I too think it's a neat neighborhood and have done my share of walking those trails.

I have been accosted by no "homeless", ever, in either Mill Creek/Bothell or the parts of Kirkland I know. I've surely walked many miles in each, that being the best way to see what's going on in the world. Not to say there aren't some...always a few...but they mind their manners in my observation. I suspect it's harder to blend, in more-affluent communities, and the police probably add additional scrutiny and get-oudda-here. Can't prove it, but a suspicion. I'm sure others will have different experiences.

I dare say if bums "attacked your neighbors," in WA or anywhere else, the order of action would be (after "retreat"): 1) if possible, call the police and let them handle it 2) if situation evolves too rapidly for Option 1, counter-attack with legal force proportional to severity of the attack. Pepper spray, baton, etc. per the FBI use of force continuum. There are excellent graphics of that online, if you're not into the whole reading-thing. In San Francisco, exercising counterforce isn't easily possible since the Communist-leaning government makes you, the victim, in the wrong for even possessing legal self-defence to use against poor, defenceless, oppressed bums and vagrants. It's obviously your fault as an employed person in, say, tech, they are even there. TTBOMK, pepper spray, batons, larger and certain types of knives, and most everything else...much less firearms...are criminal to carry and/or sometimes even own.

That was my experience in Bay Area seven years in the 1990s. It's gotten worse, friends tell me.

In WA State, while it would be unfortunate and sad, the use of LEGAL counter-force is acceptable under circumstances a reasonable person (or grand jury) would agree with. You'll need to study those laws, preferably under tutors who understand them thoroughly. Anyone without self-defence training in the modern world should have their head examined, IMO. I've been-there/done-that a number of times here in WA, "contacts" with bums and other scumbags with nefarious intent, without serious drama in the aftermath due to our mostly-reasonable self defense laws.

Going through life afraid of bums, weirdos, and other ghouls harassing people on the street is no way to live, agreed. In the absence or, more-likely, indifference of far-Left PD's, threats need to be suppressed by citizenry who are directly threatened, using legal counterforce. I can't make that any clearer: have a plan, do not live in fear, and be willing to deploy counterforce that is appropriate here in WA or anywhere else in this great nation, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
I live in Redmond and we get the young adult vagrants (the ones with cammo jackets and backpacks like you see around U District in Seattle) hanging out at the public library, plus one or two standard homeless persons with cardboard signs by the Trader Joe's.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:25 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Must be the Idaho perspective. Yeah, Downtown Kirkland is such a dump, those million dollar condos on Lake Washington wreck the place. And the Kirkland Library is two blocks from Marina Park on Lake Washington and Lake Street with waterfront restaurants, shops and street cafes.

Marina Park Pavilion

Kirkland Tourism Official Site - ExploreKirkland: Kirkland art galleries, lodging, restaurants, shopping and more:

Two blocks from Kirkland Library:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/2...-A6/home/44437

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/5...home/104426370

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/3...home/104327958

LOL... what do expensive homes have to do with homeless people?

Check out La Jolla, CA which blows away your home values and they have more homeless wandering the streets than anywhere....

One has nothing to do with the other.

I love Kirkland and not knocking it... just go by the Library at night and you WILL see homeless sleeping there more often than not.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:31 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
In the absence or, more-likely, indifference of far-Left PD's, threats need to be suppressed by citizenry who are directly threatened, using legal counterforce. I can't make that any clearer: have a plan, do not live in fear, and be willing to deploy counterforce that is appropriate here in WA or anywhere else in this great nation, actually.
SPD isn't problem in Seattle, it's the city council, city attorney and judges that refuse to prosecute crimes. SPD is getting thrown under the bus by the politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area