Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:57 AM

8,091 posts, read 8,441,472 times

Advertisements

Both the Everett and Tacoma areas have nice neighborhoods with good schools, and not so nice areas with lower scoring schools. Rents are somewhat lower in the Tacoma area, running 1/4 to 1/2 less than in the Seattle area.

The Everett area also includes Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mukilteo, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Monroe, Granite Falls, and Arlington. The Tacoma area includes University Place, Steilacoom, Ruston, Fife, Puyallup, Sumner, Federal Way, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Orting, and Enumclaw.

Note that while property crime rates can be high here, our violent crime rates are much lower - our worst areas would probably be considered to be relatively safe in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 7,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Both the Everett and Tacoma areas have nice neighborhoods with good schools, and not so nice areas with lower scoring schools. Rents are somewhat lower in the Tacoma area, running 1/4 to 1/2 less than in the Seattle area.

The Everett area also includes Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mukilteo, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Monroe, Granite Falls, and Arlington. The Tacoma area includes University Place, Steilacoom, Ruston, Fife, Puyallup, Sumner, Federal Way, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Orting, and Enumclaw.

Note that while property crime rates can be high here, our violent crime rates are much lower - our worst areas would probably be considered to be relatively safe in Georgia.
Thank you! This is very informative. I believe you're right about the violent crime rates in comparison to Georgia. I'll be sure to look more into Tacoma. We're also looking for diversity in the schools and city we move to.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 AM

305 posts, read 658,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Trust me on this, one day you will miss the "scalp burning heat of Georgia".
I'll be moving to Georgia in 18 months, already have a house there, you can take my place here.
I've moved here from San Diego 6 years ago and haven't missed the heat a single day.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM

547 posts, read 509,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
I've moved here from San Diego 6 years ago and haven't missed the heat a single day.
I believe you, but once you get a little older the cold damp air won't feel so good anymore.
Ten weeks of summer just isn't enough for me.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM

735 posts, read 878,665 times
Well it looks like you are not tied to the Seattle area, you might want to expand your search, housing prices are high all through western WA, but they go down the further you get from Seattle.

Have you spouse look into the State Patrol, they are hiring and while the department has it issues, they are working on them, by increasing pay and by listening to their officer's feedback. It would also open up where you can live and you might be in a more affordable area.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,065,749 times
There are several of us who have moved from Atlanta in recent times (do a search you'll see some recent threads on it). We just moved last December, although we were originally from the PNW we were in Atlanta for many years. We found a home in West Seattle in a sweet location in your price range (but it wasn't prime renting season and our kids are young so two bedrooms with a basement works fine for us). That said I would think you'll find something if your considering the suburbs, but hopefully one of you will have a job, otherwise it may be really tough to land a place. Everett sketchy? I am not a local expert yet but if your in the Atlanta metro you'll find Seattle very tame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoSeattle View Post
Thank you all for your responses! Our rental budget is from 1300-2000 being the top monthly for now, until I also gain employment. I love the Bothell area and I just can't seem to get my mind from it, however looking on zillow and Winderemere, I see that for a decent place our budget would have to be more in the 2,300- 2,600 range. One thing I noticed is that 2,000 will get you a great apartment/townhome in some places, but a slightly less great place if we're searching for houses. Looking for a 3 bd/2 ba 4 would be like hitting the Jackpot. Also thought of moving to Everett if we come there without a job...is it as sketchy as I've heard about? I hear there is a lot of drug activity in that town.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Well it looks like you are not tied to the Seattle area, you might want to expand your search, housing prices are high all through western WA, but they go down the further you get from Seattle.

Have you spouse look into the State Patrol, they are hiring and while the department has it issues, they are working on them, by increasing pay and by listening to their officer's feedback. It would also open up where you can live and you might be in a more affordable area.

Thanks for that. He hasn't looked actively into state patrol. I'll talk to him to see if he's interested. If he could do out of state testing, I'm sure he'd go for it depending on the pay and benefits.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
We are SOOOOO looking forward to summer without the sun blazing solar flares on our skin. I'd deal with whatever Seattle's got, the point is for us to just get there and live joyfully.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 PM

735 posts, read 878,665 times
He could always do what plenty of other Staties have done. Get hired, which as far as police departments go is easier then most, because they are desperate. Get trained and then leave for a better paying job with Seattle PD or any other number of places.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
He could always do what plenty of other Staties have done. Get hired, which as far as police departments go is easier then most, because they are desperate. Get trained and then leave for a better paying job with Seattle PD or any other number of places.
Looks like he'd have to have a WA state license before applying (? website didn't state that there was a grace period of 30 days like the entry level police) Also, someone earlier stated the state patrol was having problems. Do you know what's going on with them? And are there any reasons the police departments there are harder to get hired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area