Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
OK I'm totally done with the Indian recruiters. Had another one today. jeez.

What non indian recruiters exist? Anyone know?
I don't understand, OP. You're here in the US, right? You're in the Seattle area? So why do you need to ask us who the local recruiters are? Google them or look them up in the phone directory. Am I missing something here? Is there something about your visa status that precludes you going through standard channels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:31 PM

64 posts, read 54,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
@aagace We've had H1B workers posting here, after getting their job offer, and they tell us their salary. It is, indeed, below that of a starting salary for US techies.
Are you comparing apples to apples, i.e. the salary of the same level workers at the same company at the same job, one of them H1B and one citizen? Or are you just spreading more "generic" stereotypes? What exactly was the difference between the salary of the two specific people you compared? Was the lower paid H1B worker hired directly by the company or as a contractor via agency (they take their cut!)? Was the agency legitimate or one of those scam agencies that take a very significant cut?

What is your personal experience with the H1B system? From my personal, first hand experience, as an H1B worker in several different (reputable!) tech companies, I compared my salary with my citizen peers and there was no significant difference. At my current company I also make the same as citizens. Because it is illegal for a company to offer less, and because I would be offended if someone offered me less than my market value. Besides, most tech companies have "salary forks" anyway, so for position X at level Y they cannot even offer less than A and more than B. There might be a $10-20k gap between two people, all within the normal pay range for a given job level, depending on individual's negotiation skills, reputation and past experience. Some people just don't know they can actually negotiate their salary, and in the current market, they can negotiate really hard, and recruiters will offer a salary in the lower end of the range. But that's about it.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 21,316 times
I have a Green Card but small real world experience in Software development. All my friends who works in industry tell me that my status is great and lot of companies who can not afford H1B employees will be happy to hire me. But I found out that getting junior position is not easy. I am prepared but most of the times I dont have chance to show my skills because lot of recruiters ignore me because i dont have 5+ years of experience. Can anybody give me advise what can fresher do? Thank you. =)

Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 AM

261 posts, read 221,484 times
@Ruth4Truth - recruiters can be all over the country and recruit not only within their city but across the country if you see what I mean. I don't know any national US based reputable agencies or good ones to go through - that's the problem figuring out which is actually US based or which is a "branch" that is based in the US but the main ops are from India - that's the problem.

Robert half for instance don't really deal with Corp 2 Corp (C2C) work but only W2 and I can only do C2C contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area