Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Folkguitarist, you must be joking. I've backpacked all over the world, food is very good here. You need to get out more, here are some of my favorites:

South Indian: University District, Chili's Restaurant
East Indian (Bengali) and Bangladeshi, Roosevelt area: Bengal Tiger.
Sichuan: Seven Stars Pepper, Little Vietnam, Jackson St.
Vietnamese: Green Leaf Restaurant, Tamarind Tree Restaurant. Mekong.
Malaysian: Malay Satay Hut, Kedai Makan
Thai: Pestle Rock (Ballard), Thaiku (Phinney Ridge)
La Teranga, Senegalese - Columbia City
Mexican: LA CARTA DE OAXACA, Ballard.
Khmer Cambodian: Queen Deli, White Center
Jamaican/Caribbean: Island Soul (Columbia City, Bongo's. (Green Lake)
Ethiopian: Assimba (Central District), Gojo (North Seattle)
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! that you didn't include Wild Ginger downtown on your list of Asian restaurants. It's the best Asian restaurant I've been to anywhere in the US. It's on a whole other level then the more ordinary hole-in-the-wall places. Which explains why it attracts the business crowd downtown.

And whatever happened to India House, on Roosevelt in the U District? Did it close? It was a fixture in the U District since it first opened, way back in the late 60's, I heard, on U Way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
My Dear Ruth,

Don't mean to be nasty but having traveled all over Asia, I am tough, very tough on my Asian food. Let me start by saying that I used to go to the original Wild Ginger on Western Ave in 1996. As its fame has grown, they have had to "tame" the spiciness and dial back the fish sauce, don't want to overwhelm those tourists That being said, it isn't bad in pinch, I went there last week after going to the symphony, great location. I just like "authenticity" and there are better.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 02-08-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
My Dear Ruth,

Don't mean to be nasty but having traveled all over Asia, I am tough, very tough on my Asian food. Let me start by saying that I used to go to the original Wild Ginger on Western Ave in 1996. As it's fame has grown, they have had to "tame" the spiciness and dial back the fish sauce, don't want to overwhelm those tourists That being said, it isn't bad in pinch, I went there last week after going to the symphony, great location. I just like "authenticity" and there are better.
I'll have to take a broader sample of their menu. I don't recall it was on Western, and it was right around the mid-to-late 90's that I discovered it. I must have experienced it before it had to water itself down. I'll definitely try it the next time I'm in town.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:22 PM

249 posts, read 458,405 times
My family moved from NC a few years ago. We settled in the South Sound where there are a lot more conservatives. Like others have said, just keep your mouth shut about politics and you will be fine.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The only time politics ever came up was when President Obama was first elected... it was a party that didn't stop... from cubes with pictures of the first family to overall exuberance... it was the only time I have experienced it and it was only during his first term... other than that no political banter at all.
I got an official memo from my company's corporate management expressing how disconcerting they find the new President on everything from climate change, energy, immigration, gay & women's rights, etc. They probably just wanted to show off their bien-pensant affiliation and virtue. A totally useless exercise that accomplished little and probably alienated more than a few.

A business should focus on just a few things;
Take care of colleagues...
So they can take care of customers...
Who eventually take care of shareholders...

Full stop.

Everything else is distraction, greenwashing, slacktivism and empty corporate responsibility propaganda BS.

I've had practical and total strangers coming up and expressing their righteous indignation about the results of the presidential election. The more of this I hear, the more I'm growing to appreciate the way things have turned out, even if it ends up especially costly just to spite the sanctimonious.

Don't hate the "hate." It'll just consume you and darken your own heart.
Create excellence and beauty.
Build something in the community...
Then be surprised at the kind of solidarity that emerges from the most unexpected corners.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've had some interesting conversations even in the family...

It does seem many are having a hard time and this was going back to pre inauguration day...

I've never been a Trump supporter but I have seen open support for him especially in the more rural areas of Washington and Oregon...

There is also a little irony in that time will be the final arbiter...

Part of the problem in my humble opinion is that many were so confident in his demise as a candidate just as others were 100% of a President Hillary... part of the Hillary advance group had already committed to DC housing whereas none of the Trump team did...

Religion and Politics are two subjects where people dig in the most.

What I detest and find repulsive is violence and especially violence done to innocents in the name of protest... Dr. King and Gandhi were beacons of non-violent protest that changed nations...

Any group that thinks it is ok to smash store windows, destroy vehicles, stopped and accost those simply living their lives has 3 strikes against them from the get-go... in my humble opinion...

When the troops returned through the Port of Olympia a few years back I was embarrassed... they were spit at, rocks hurled, blockaded, etc...

Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! that you didn't include Wild Ginger downtown on your list of Asian restaurants. It's the best Asian restaurant I've been to anywhere in the US. It's on a whole other level then the more ordinary hole-in-the-wall places. Which explains why it attracts the business crowd downtown.

And whatever happened to India House, on Roosevelt in the U District? Did it close? It was a fixture in the U District since it first opened, way back in the late 60's, I heard, on U Way.
India House became Bombay Grill about ten years ago, was really great for a while, then got sold, declined, and went out of business about six months ago. I think it was the first Indian restaurant in Seattle when it was India House.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 PM

I am ready to make a definitive statement, hold your breath. Masala of India (Northgate area) is THE best East indian food in Seattle, go try it. I've traveled India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka. I know curry, I'm hard on curry, I live for curry. Go for lunch, have the buffet, I think it is $8.99. The dahl is exceptional, tamarind chutney complex, biryani spot on, pakoras perfect and curry very very good. Here is the link: Masala of India

Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I am ready to make a definitive statement, hold your breath. Masala of India (Northgate area) is THE best East indian food in Seattle, go try it. I've traveled India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka. I know curry, I'm hard on curry, I live for curry. Go for lunch, have the buffet, I think it is $8.99. The dahl is exceptional, tamarind chutney complex, biryani spot on, pakoras perfect and curry very very good. Here is the link: Masala of India
There's a good Indian restaurant in Lynnwood, believe it or not! Very nice for dinner. Tablecloths, good service, good food.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Yes Ruth, Kalia and Cafe India are both in Lynnwood close to I-5. I have stopped there many a time when selling homes in Edmonds, Lynnwood area. They are for sure tasty but not sublime like this Northgate place. Try it when you come back, the decor inside is beautiful too. For the record, I have no ownership interest in Masala
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area