Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times

Advertisements

There are things that are taxes that possibly shouldn't be. Certain hygiene products...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 AM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Correct.

Ready made food...is fast food. It is taxed.

Shampoo, toothpaste and soap are NOT food. They are taxed.

Cranberry juice is interesting. It really is the equivalent of Soda....however, check that one. It is a gray area.

In all the cases above the legislature made the decision to put sales taxes on prepared food, etc. They were Democrats. But if you pay...fresh food. It is not taxed. Why are you eating crap anyway?
Ready made food, soup, sushi, vegetable's at PCC, Whole Foods is crap? Check.
I suppose people could by the ingredients and cook them under a bridge without paying sales tax.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
I was trying to remember when they extended the sales tax to prepared food. It was that long ago.

Then there is sales tax on gasoline, which I believe means your paying sales tax on a tax (gas).h

Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
We don't?
You should pay more attention to your grocery bill, you might be surprised at some of the foods at other essential items that are taxed.
I'll give you a couple of examples just because your a big defender of this city.
Cranberry juice.
Shampoo.
Toothpaste.
Soap.
Any ready made foods in the grocery.
I'm a defender of rational and plausible arguments, and verifiable facts. Note that I was responding to a categorical claim that we don't tax food and drugs.

Yes, "we", through the state sales tax, do not generally tax groceries or prescription drugs, although there are exceptions, foods prepared to eat being one of them.

Another one is: when more than 75% of an establishment's total food sales are of prepared food, then the sales tax is applied to all of its food sales, including cranberry juice (or cocktail). In other words, you might try shopping somewhere else for groceries than 7-11.

Municipalities might selectively choose to tax food items, such as the "sugary drink" tax proposed by the mayor, which would apply to fruit drinks, but not 100% fruit juice. I'm not aware of any cities or towns in this state doing that, yet, however.

I'm not opposed to exempting daily necessities (toilet paper, toothpaste, tampons, hand soap, etc.) from the sales tax, but under state law that is not the case now. I would want to replace those lost revenues from somewhere else, however, rather than cut essential services even more deeply. What about you?

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 04-05-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Seriously, ridiculous laws that only benefit the government.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:08 PM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'm a defender of rational and plausible arguments, and verifiable facts. Note that I was responding to a categorical claim that we don't tax food and drugs.

Yes, "we", through the state sales tax, do not generally tax groceries or prescription drugs, although there are exceptions, foods prepared to eat being one of them.

Another one is: when more than 75% of an establishment's total food sales are of prepared food, then the sales tax is applied to all of its food sales, including cranberry juice (or cocktail). In other words, you might try shopping somewhere else for groceries than 7-11.

Municipalities might selectively choose to tax food items, such as the "sugary drink" tax proposed by the mayor, which would apply to fruit drinks, but not 100% fruit juice. I'm not aware of any cities or towns in this state doing that, yet, however.

I'm not opposed to exempting daily necessities (toilet paper, toothpaste, tampons, hand soap, etc.) from the sales tax, but under state law that is not the case now. I would want to replace those lost revenues from somewhere else, however, rather than cut essential services even more deeply. What about you?
Please, I buy my groceries at Freddie's and cranberry juice is taxed.
Essential services are typically taxed through property tax, fire/police.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
The real problem here is if the State eventually brings on an income tax, do you think they will also lower the sales tax? The answer, IMO, is absolutely not. So the overall result is a huge increase in taxes. I will not vote for this if it ever comes to that. Washington needs to be able to offer basic services, but it doesn't need to follow California, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to accomplish that.

Some of the best economies in the country have no state income tax. Texas, Florida, and Washington State.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Right. There's no way that they'd lower the sales tax if they intro'd a state income tax. No way. There are limitations re the pot money buy it will benefit WA.

Yet politicians want all 3.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Please, I buy my groceries at Freddie's and cranberry juice is taxed.
Essential services are typically taxed through property tax, fire/police.
Quote:
Sales of food and food ingredients are exempt from retail sales tax. However, prepared foods, dietary supplements, and soft drinks are taxable.
Quote:
"Soft drinks" means nonalcoholic beverages that contain natural or artificial sweeteners. Soft drinks do not include beverages that contain: Milk or milk products; soy, rice, or similar milk substitutes; or greater than fifty percent of vegetable or fruit juice by volume.
I hadn't realized the state was now taxing "fruit juice" cocktail (less than 50% fruit juice by volume), which is sweetened by adding high-fructose corn syrup (lacking nutritional value). I always buy "100% juice", which is not taxed, since it is sweetened only by adding naturally sweetened fruit juices.

Simple question: If you want to eliminate sales tax on daily necessities, would you add or increase other taxes to pay for it, or cut spending elsewhere? If the first, I'm for it; if the second, I'm against it. Note that only 12% of the state budget is paid for through property taxes, compared to about 50% by sales taxes.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:00 PM

246 posts, read 320,798 times
Here's the problem: Washington's sales tax isn't that much higher than other state's sales taxes. What you'll get is roughly a 2% drop in sales tax in exchange for a +5% income tax and everyone ends up paying more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area