Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice the several (correct) observations that many Seattle residents are not originally from Seattle?

Soooo...when anyone else who's not from Seattle talks about its residents being this or that- well, gee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
dreary grey and rainy= dreary people

Perhaps you don't get out enough.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Anyone notice the several (correct) observations that many Seattle residents are not originally from Seattle?

Soooo...when anyone else who's not from Seattle talks about its residents being this or that- well, gee...
Seems like "in general" most of the complaints about odd people are about the natives, just saying

Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 AM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
Quote:
Perhaps you don't get out enough.
Perhaps he's tired of going out and being cold and wet.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Perhaps he's tired of going out and being cold and wet.
Sure. Why actually meet people and get to know them when you can just generalize without meeting and talking to them? Makes perfect sense.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seems like "in general" most of the complaints about odd people are about the natives, just saying
It's not like Seattleites are wearing badges saying who's native or what...

Old 05-15-2017, 01:39 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
There's a lot of theories behind the "Freeze". Many people point to the following possible explanations....

- The influence of Scandinavian and Asian culture in the area (More reserved than the U.S.)

- The weather (i.e. - people spend more times indoors/isolated due to it being grey/cool/wet for over half the year. Lack of sunlight can make some folks a bit cranky too).

- Rapid change/growth in the region (This idea suggests that the Freeze is from long-term residents/natives towards transplants, blaming them for problems related to growth such as traffic, rises in housing costs, etc).

As a native, I too have found that people tend to be a bit more outgoing/friendly elsewhere (many other cities I've visited). I never gave the Freeze much thought growing up here, but the more cities I've had a chance to visit, the more I realize that something indeed doesn't seem quite "right" here. It's simply a more reserved/introverted city than most in the US, IME. Seattle isn't for everyone, but no city truly is.
I think this is a fairly accurate statement. My entire family lives in Bend Oregon. When I go down for a visit, I'm always thrown off because many people you encounter will attempt to start a conversation. I'm fairly outgoing so it doesn't bother me in the least bit but I'm just not used to it at all!!!

Seattle is a haven for certain types of people. It will continue to be a magnet for reserved, liberal, type B intellectuals.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post

Seattle is a haven for certain types of people. It will continue to be a magnet for reserved, liberal, type B intellectuals.
What's a "type B intellectual"?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's a "type B intellectual"?
I am guessing a type B intellectual is someone who may be highly educated, in a professional or technology field, makes above average income and has above average IQ. But never reads, isn't open to new ideas, can't change a light bulb, etc

again I am guessing

Old 05-15-2017, 03:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
It's not like Seattleites are wearing badges saying who's native or what...
It's usually not hard to spot them, plus when you interact with co-workers/other people and it's brought up by them and they whine about something related to Seattle changing, well there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area