Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 PM

261 posts, read 221,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
It seems as though people hate to meet new people and everybody comes off just awkward. People have a negative vibe most times and nobody likes to smile. Any other city I visit I get a completely different vibe. I'm trying to figure out why its so difficult to naturally make new friends or get into a relationship out here?

Sorry I know this type of thread has been posted before and I'm trying to ignore this "Seattle freeze" because that doesent give any explanation to why. I just moved back and realized most transplants end up not liking this place.

Would love to hear everybodies thoughts on this topic
it's not just me then?
If you are referring to women then yes, for sure. no doubt there. Must be hard being a woman and living in Seattle with all the attention *roll eyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
it's not just me then?
If you are referring to women then yes, for sure. no doubt there. Must be hard being a woman and living in Seattle with all the attention *roll eyes*
brah, with women in 2017 there is no personality; it's meaningless. They are 100% focused on appearance, regardless of what they'll tell you, it's all about your looks. (serious)

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Hahahahaha! Good one! Oh wait...is it possible you were serious?

Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
Here on planet earth it's: looks/height=money>status>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>persona lity

Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 AM

128 posts, read 148,623 times
I think its mostly about the gloomy skies here. When the sun comes out you feel your soul coming back. When it rains and stays gloomy it gives the energy of just go home now lol

I workout and do yoga and stay quite fit. If I didnt stay active I could only imagine how depressed I would be here

Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 AM

21 posts, read 22,131 times
Seattle is the only major US city where you get these observations commonly and pervasively. The factors that cause this dispirited behavior are well known. What they add up to is that Seattle is a city where happiness is scarce. The inhabitants are aware of this at least subconsciously, and it explains much of the odd behavioral effects. Everyone is constantly trying to justify why they are an exception to the unhappy norm. This manifests usually as not letting people in as friends, lest they reveal their true feelings. Also it leads to chip on the shoulder posturing as if to prove they're not among the unhappy masses.

There's a lot of nostalgia in Seattle about the 1990's as if things were different and relatively happy in this era but as someone who spent that decade there I can tell you it was never any better in the past either.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM

128 posts, read 148,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always-Blue View Post
Seattle is the only major US city where you get these observations commonly and pervasively. The factors that cause this dispirited behavior are well known. What they add up to is that Seattle is a city where happiness is scarce. The inhabitants are aware of this at least subconsciously, and it explains much of the odd behavioral effects. Everyone is constantly trying to justify why they are an exception to the unhappy norm. This manifests usually as not letting people in as friends, lest they reveal their true feelings. Also it leads to chip on the shoulder posturing as if to prove they're not among the unhappy masses.

There's a lot of nostalgia in Seattle about the 1990's as if things were different and relatively happy in this era but as someone who spent that decade there I can tell you it was never any better in the past either.
This is spot on

Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 AM

455 posts, read 598,479 times
Always-Blue, repped. That's a fantastic explanation.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

513 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
brah, with women in 2017 there is no personality; it's meaningless. They are 100% focused on appearance, regardless of what they'll tell you, it's all about your looks. (serious)
What are you focused on? Are you are looking for intelligence in a woman? Or are you judging on looks too? This sounds like a guy complaining he can't score hot enough chicks here and is bitter.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM

513 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
This is spot on
I agree that it's a introverted city, and social skills are only getting worse with an influx or foreign programmers (different culture + introverted!)

That said, why stay if it sucks so bad for you? This is an expensive place to live; you could easily live other places where everybody is excited to be friends, extroverted, they all sing kumbaya together by the campfire... I'm not sure what it is you are expecting out of Seattle? It is an introverts town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area