Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM

74 posts, read 141,596 times

Advertisements

It takes consistency to make and keep friends when you move to a new area, whether it be in the same town or new state. Some cities have more hospitality than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 PM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Minneapolis felt very similar to Seattle. It was much more difficult to break through some people and open them up. Going to bars alone was torture, you try to spark a conversation, and they look at you as if you are a serial killer. I didn't find it THAT bad, but it is definitely more common in Seattle than other cities.

In comparison with other transient cities, going out alone in Denver, Austin, or LA was a night and day difference. You could actually have small talk with stranger, even on public transit or in line at the store, and many people out at the bars were very welcoming and at least were open to a conversation. I've met some of my best friends by just bumping into people.

I don't think it makes Seattle bad or anything. I think that people just like to live around people like themselves. Some people are more introverted, and when many of them live in the same place, it can feel uncomfortable to other who are from areas that aren't the same.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Maybe the people who want to chat with strangers in lines should wear special hats. That way you can find each other.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I feel like doing some serious stereotyping so here goes. Seattle does tend to draw a certain type of person. Remember sitting in calc class in high school? There was always that rather nerdy anti social, awkward girl that played the French horn in the band and pulled down the 3.75 GPA. She was voted "most likely to graduate and dye her hair blue." Remember her? Well chances are she moved to Seattle. Our fair city tends to be a magnet for these types and they come by the thousands upon thousands. Absolutely nothing wrong with this but it does give Seattle a certain "vibe" that you don't see in other cities.

50 people move to Seattle everyday. Many are shy tech workers chalked full of Type B personalities so I don't see this trend changing any time soon. It is what it is!
Pete, you nailed it! It's the only place I've ever lived where it's cool to be weird. If you look too mainstream, you're only okay. This is why I don't fit in here.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 AM

387 posts, read 358,449 times
I distinctly remember people complaining about this in the late 90s/early 00s, before social media was as entrenched and before the huge influx of Amazon brogrammers. they said seattleites were "flaky" and "cliquey" and were cold and unwelcoming to outsiders who would try to befriend their little groups. the word "incestuous" was also used a lot. I don't think the term "Seattle freeze" was as popular back then. people of this region were also described as awkward and anti-social. so it's not purely a transient city phenomenon though maybe it's increasingly becoming that, because the vibe of the city has changed quite a bit from that time.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 PM

261 posts, read 221,536 times
Sorry but i blame women here. The stupid "liberal" nonsense. I mean, I am all for rights but its to the point where these people are high strung and very aggressive then wonder why they don't get heard. There is a way of doing things and saying things. What about the average joe straight guy who is down to earth and works hard? Nothing for them and we are the ones to pick up the pieces.

Totally high strung and superficial. Makes no sense. I mean seriously - stop trying to make excuses and cover up the real truth. Actually ACCEPT the truth.... if people were more friendly and open like they were 10+ years ago.... and be more respectful, would never be in this mess.

Yet to talk to a woman really on a casual basis (due to pre-emptive judgement and what not)... and actually spoke to someone casually in a different state altogether in the 5 years I have been travelling back and forth to Seattle (living here for 6 months now). Think about that.

those who say Seattle freeze is a myth. Oh please. It's not. It's real. If an outsider says it is - then it is. accept it.

sorry, I'm just REALLY frustrated with this utter nonsense and game playing crap.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
Oh You people, what seems to mystify you all is nothing more than pot heads.
Seattle is full of pot heads.
Pot heads aren't going to strike up conversations at the QFC check out.
Pot heads aren't going to give you hugs at the bus stop.
Pot heads barely know you exist.
Stop worrying your pretty little heads, they don't mean to give the cold shoulder, they just don't care.
Don't take it personally.
This wasn't true before legalized pot, though. Seattle's always been a place where it's hard to make friends.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
Sorry but i blame women here. The stupid "liberal" nonsense. I mean, I am all for rights but its to the point where these people are high strung and very aggressive then wonder why they don't get heard. There is a way of doing things and saying things. What about the average joe straight guy who is down to earth and works hard? Nothing for them and we are the ones to pick up the pieces.

Totally high strung and superficial. Makes no sense. I mean seriously - stop trying to make excuses and cover up the real truth. Actually ACCEPT the truth.... if people were more friendly and open like they were 10+ years ago.... and be more respectful, would never be in this mess.

Yet to talk to a woman really on a casual basis (due to pre-emptive judgement and what not)... and actually spoke to someone casually in a different state altogether in the 5 years I have been travelling back and forth to Seattle (living here for 6 months now). Think about that.

those who say Seattle freeze is a myth. Oh please. It's not. It's real. If an outsider says it is - then it is. accept it.

sorry, I'm just REALLY frustrated with this utter nonsense and game playing crap.

"Pre-emptive judgement" I like that phrase and here is Seattle, unfortunately it rears it's ugly head quite often. Trust me as a non-liberal white male living in Seattle since 1985, I feel and understand your pain.

But long ago, I've come to understand that Seattle does draw a certain type of person. Seattle is a liberal bastion and they use this "pre-emptive judgment" 24/7. If they sense that you are not part of their "club" you'll soon find yourself being the recipient of the ever popular "passive aggressive cold shoulder." For me, it's become almost a daily occurrence.

If you are a non liberal living in Seattle, you need thick skin. PERIOD. Guess none of this ever bothers me because I'm happily married and not in the dating pool (thank god).

That said, I do feel that many of the folks coming in from all over the planet to work at places like Amazon are not 100% liberal. They come here for the job and not necessarily for the liberal experience. I'd be attempting to bark up this tree if possible. Also, Seattle is a big city. You just need to find your niche and eventually you'll be able to find like minded individuals to hang out with. Patience is the key to socializing in this city. Eventually it will happen, but it won't be as easy as finding friends/dates in other cities.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM

332 posts, read 398,271 times
Recently moved from Seattle. Lived in Portland before. So lived in the PNW for over 20 years after moving there from the east cost. People are way friendlier outside of the Pacific Northwest. We've immediately made friends without even trying. I completely forgot what it meant to have warm friendly neighbors as my friends again ta boot. You guys keep living in denial that the "freeze" does not exist.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:52 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
pete, I think it's more like 1000 people a day, those are the stats I've heard.
a 1000 a day would be pretty impressive.

i think the figure is less than 1000 a week, despite the headlines and chatter, the growth is lower.

seattle has a pop of 600- 700k depending who you ask, at 1,000 a day it would double in two years and again in four...

Quote:
Top 10 Largest-Gaining Counties (Numeric Change): July 1, 2015 to July 1, 2016
County Population Numeric Change Percent Change Births Deaths Domestic Migration International Migration

King County,
Washington 2,149,970 35,714 1.69 25,905 13,580 8,511 15,500
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...7/cb17-44.html

you can see it better about halfway down the page.

But king county had 8,511 domestic arrivals 15,500 international total increase of that is only 24,000 out of state arrivals in total. i have no idea how they do their numbers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area