Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:51 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the Seattle soda tax passed?? The soda tax is a silly tax in my opinion. Doesn't the Seattle city council and mayor Murray have better concerns than taxing soda??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Does anyone know if the Seattle soda tax passed?? The soda tax is a silly tax in my opinion. Doesn't the Seattle city council and mayor Murray have better concerns than taxing soda??
Yes, it passed. It has very little to do with the city council and Mayor believing sugar to be unhealthy, and everything to do with finding every way possible to tax people. And I say this as a flaming liberal. But: Most people who drink sugared sodas(diet soda is exempt in this law) earn much less money than non soda drinkers. so they're gouging the poor. How about a local capital gains tax in which all profit from stock sales over 50,000 dollars is taxed at 5%? Most of us wouldn't need to worry, and it wouldn't overly hurt the people least able to pay additional tax.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:26 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Yes, it passed. It has very little to do with the city council and Mayor believing sugar to be unhealthy, and everything to do with finding every way possible to tax people. And I say this as a flaming liberal. But: Most people who drink sugared sodas(diet soda is exempt in this law) earn much less money than non soda drinkers. so they're gouging the poor. How about a local capital gains tax in which all profit from stock sales over 50,000 dollars is taxed at 5%? Most of us wouldn't need to worry, and it wouldn't overly hurt the people least able to pay additional tax.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Ira.

To the OP, yes. But there is still the possibility of a referendum/putting it to the vote of the people. And you'd better believe I will support that in any way I can. Because as Ira said, this tax isn't about health (that's what they disguise it as), it's a regressive, one finger salute in the face of Seattle's working class, plain and simple.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Ira, I cannot believe what I am reading You are actually criticizing the Seattle City Council? I remember when they passed the unconstitutional Gun and Ammo Tax you didn't seem to have such bad words for them. Did you think they were just going to stop with guns and ammo? And, are you so naive to think they are going to stop with just soda? Once a bureaucrat tastes the money he only wants more. What better place to extort the funds than the blind peasantry who never questions their party leaders?

At least Seattle is "Trump Free" right? Taxing the peasants for their soda use must be for the greater good somehow. However, hell may break lose when they start taxing bagels and other dangerous "high carb" foods that they believe may also be responsible for the obesity epidemic.

All these taxes that liberals push end up being passed on to the lower middle class. People like Hillary Clinton, Obama pay very little taxes but have no problem increasing the amount of taxes Joe American and Jane American have to pay, as they need to "save the poor" and "redistribute the wealth" to themselves. Hillary Clinton already told everyone she considers herself poor, literally saying she and Bill are "Dead Broke". I guess that would justify the need to tax the rich (you and me who make over $40,000 a year) to help poor people such as herself. Poor Hillary, I mean she could only afford a measly 2.8 million dollar home and those speeches she practically gives away at $200,000 to $1,000,000. Seriously, I feel for these poor liberal politicians

Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
I did a dialup search on Ask Jeeves and found it did in fact pass

Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I don't drink sugary sodas or sports drinks. I do drink natural diet sodas by Hansen's (Splenda) and Zevia (Stevia), as well as 100% juice (much diluted), so was happy to see that I wouldn't be taxed for making what I consider to be healthier choices.

Calories consumed from sugary sodas, juice cocktail, Kool-Aid, etc., are on top of normal calorie intake and thus are implicated in what are epidemic obesity and diabetes rates, which significantly drive up health care costs for everyone else.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Ira, I cannot believe what I am reading You are actually criticizing the Seattle City Council? I remember when they passed the unconstitutional Gun and Ammo Tax you didn't seem to have such bad words for them. Did you think they were just going to stop with guns and ammo? And, are you so naive to think they are going to stop with just soda? Once a bureaucrat tastes the money he only wants more. What better place to extort the funds than the blind peasantry who never questions their party leaders?

At least Seattle is "Trump Free" right? Taxing the peasants for their soda use must be for the greater good somehow. However, hell may break lose when they start taxing bagels and other dangerous "high carb" foods that they believe may also be responsible for the obesity epidemic.

All these taxes that liberals push end up being passed on to the lower middle class. People like Hillary Clinton, Obama pay very little taxes but have no problem increasing the amount of taxes Joe American and Jane American have to pay, as they need to "save the poor" and "redistribute the wealth" to themselves. Hillary Clinton already told everyone she considers herself poor, literally saying she and Bill are "Dead Broke". I guess that would justify the need to tax the rich (you and me who make over $40,000 a year) to help poor people such as herself. Poor Hillary, I mean she could only afford a measly 2.8 million dollar home and those speeches she practically gives away at $200,000 to $1,000,000. Seriously, I feel for these poor liberal politicians
They better not institute a bagel tax. That's when I'll bear arms.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:31 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
It's just soda. It's not like they are taxing air or something essential to human existence.
Drink something else.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:39 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
I drink diet soda amyways.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
It sounds like an effective way to encourage healthy choices, which are important since we all pay for the public's health in many ways. It's gentle encouragement.

It's like the bag tax...oh no, a few cents, the gummint's gone crazy! If you want a bag you can afford it, but it's a small encouragement.

Obviously even a few cents have an effect on behavior, and shown a million times like when cigarettes go up...for that it's predictable what each penny will do for effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area