Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
You can tell political affiliation through license plates? I see California plates all the time but I don't think they're Liberals automatically. People don't make me sick for their political beliefs. I now feel sorry for anybody that comes into this state with Texas plates. I really hope you don't do anything bad to these innocent people.
The xenophobia is strong in district 45...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM

90 posts, read 100,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Thanks for the reminder, I'm traveling but will vote when I get back. I'm so tired of Texas and now Texas involved in Washington State elections? I don't even like seeing their license plates on our local highways. The thought of even more Republicans is sickening. They control all three branches federal government. Stop the madness before we become a banana republic.
Quote:
Please. Being less than enthusiastic about newcomers who come from a state that is the polar opposite of the Seattle metro is still allowed. The topic of this thread is about a Texas company that is literally trying to influence the outcome of an election in my very own district. I live in district 45, this matters to me. It sounds like newcomers from Texas are welcome in Puyallup and that's great.
" I don't even like seeing their license plates on our local highways. The thought of even more Republicans is sickening." That is one heck of a brush you paint with.

If you are triggered by Texas licence plates that is scary!!! It is also a lot more than "Being less than enthusiastic about newcomers"

Of course newcomers from Texas and the other 49 states are welcome in Puyallup. I don't judge people because of their license plate or political standings. It's their words and actions that I judge by.

We are actually moving to Texas and I just hope they don't judge me for my WA plates.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacTown View Post
" I don't even like seeing their license plates on our local highways. The thought of even more Republicans is sickening." That is one heck of a brush you paint with.

If you are triggered by Texas licence plates that is scary!!! It is also a lot more than "Being less than enthusiastic about newcomers"

Of course newcomers from Texas and the other 49 states are welcome in Puyallup. I don't judge people because of their license plate or political standings. It's their words and actions that I judge by.

We are actually moving to Texas and I just hope they don't judge me for my WA plates.
Not liking to see license plates from a particular state equals "triggered"? Texas is the polar opposite of Washington. They love local rule except when they don't. The Texas legislature now wants to enact pre-emption laws so cities cannot create laws that disagree with rural voters. And it's not enough to control Texas, their companies will spend $100K trying to influence the election in the 45th district 2000 miles away that has less than 50,000 voters. They want schoolbooks that downplay slavery and are not friends of the environment or gays. Good luck there and happy trails. The Republican party now controls the entire federal government. For Phillips 66 to try to increase that in a district 2000 miles away is nauseating. Obviously Jinyoung Englund is downplaying that she is a Trump loving Republican considering the dozen mailers that barely mention the Republican Party paying for her or that she just moved to Woodinville to run for office.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
I'm driving around Seattle with TX plates myself and I feel the same way as Seacove, lol. At least Texans are much better drivers than Washingtonians.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Considering the 45th is a small district in Washington State that includes Woodinville, Duvall and parts of Kirkland and Redmond, Texas' Phillips 66 interest in funding Republicans there is pretty blatant. Englund is a hand-picked candidate that just moved to the 45th in order to run. She's previously worked with Cathy McMorris Rodgers and The Heritage Foundation. The other Republican candidate Ken Smith also just moved to the 45th district to run.

Would you make the same criticism of Jay Inslee, who moved to Western Washington to get back into the US House after being booted by voters in the 4th CD (Yakima) in the 1994 election, due to his support for the so-called 'assault weapon ban?'

Or of Hillary Clinton, who moved to NY in order to run for the Senate?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
I'm sure you both voted against I-594 then, since it got a million dollars from a New Yorker right? Wouldn't want to be hypocrites or anything.
I don't see any responses from liberal democrats on this. Just crickets.

Not only was I-594 supported by Bloomberg, it was bankrolled by a group of billionaires (Gates, Ballmer, Hanauer, Allen). Funny I don't recall moaning and groaning about CU from the left during that campaign.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM

455 posts, read 598,211 times
Quote:
It sounds like newcomers from Texas are welcome in Puyallup and that's great.
Subtle jab is not so subtle

Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I'm driving around Seattle with TX plates myself and I feel the same way as Seacove, lol. At least Texans are much better drivers than Washingtonians.
Hahah that's probably true! They also love their toll roads, I must have spent a hundred dollars on tolls the last time I was there.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Would you make the same criticism of Jay Inslee, who moved to Western Washington to get back into the US House after being booted by voters in the 4th CD (Yakima) in the 1994 election, due to his support for the so-called 'assault weapon ban?'

Or of Hillary Clinton, who moved to NY in order to run for the Senate?
Except Republicans attacked Democratic candidate Matt Isenhower for moving into District 45 last election. It was a huge point they made, now both of their candidates have done the same this election.

It is noteworthy that both of the Republicans running for the Senate in the 45th have just moved in from other districts, especially considering that Republicans attacked Matt Isenhower — Andy Hill’s 2014 Democratic challenger — for having moved into the district a few months before launching his candidacy.

https://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog...e-englund.html

Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't see any responses from liberal democrats on this. Just crickets.

Not only was I-594 supported by Bloomberg, it was bankrolled by a group of billionaires (Gates, Ballmer, Hanauer, Allen). Funny I don't recall moaning and groaning about CU from the left during that campaign.
It isn't simply that outside money or large contributions are spent in state or local elections, but also how much and toward what purpose. Bloomberg was simply supporting what he believes in (universal background checks for gun sales) - plenty of outside money came in on the other side, as well, since it is a hot-button national issue.

Phillips 66, on the other hand, is spending in this one district election for one reason, and one reason only, that being to benefit their own economic self-interest, in that not flipping the seat from Rep. to Dem. will be tantamount to stopping a carbon tax from being enacted in Washington state. Otherwise, they have no reason to be involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area