Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 PM

261 posts, read 221,594 times

Advertisements

Hi.

So, I am looking for another place to rent and move out where I am currently. I am lucky to get what I got but the house has lots of issues and I cannot take it anymore.

I am also renting a property in a different state as my wife lives there and is working there. I fly back and forth and that's fine.
We are currently going through some issues and hoping to reconcile.

Right now, I am unsure if I should find another place to live (I would love a good 2 bed townhouse in walkable distance to grocery stores but seems almost impossible!) but unsure if I should get an apartment (I hate apartments) on a short term basis (and pay high cost) or something else.

Whilst I work in Redmond most of the time, I am also able to work remotely however when I am in town, it is better to rent than stay at airbnb or hotels as it's cheaper and you get more freedom to do what you want with the place (i.e your personal items, cooking etc...)

I am confused and just all over the place. I have a heavy heart and limited budget too.

What do you wise people suggest I do?

Are there such things as short rental condo's (ground floor preferably) or townhomes in walking distance to grocery stores? Which areas? Or are they min 6-12months? I don't want to break leases for obvious reasons.

I just... don't know what to do. I also have half my stuff this past weekend in a storage unit near the airport because uhaul messed up! (and I also moved out from the townhome in the other city as wife also moved out and now living temporarily with her parents elsewhere but we are hoping to find a place to live where she is now. I still have to be in Seattle regardless).

Just saw a townhouse, 2 bed for 2K/month + utils. looks decent enough and clean (yay) just unsure how much that + other expenses + potential rental in another town is going to set me back. I only have so much money....

I wish i could drive. may make things easier in terms of location so I can drive to grocery stores. I'm working on it soon.

My life is all over the place and only moved here about 8-9 months ago and not had time to even take a break. too much change and doing it on my own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Wait, your wife is working in another state, but you're paying her rent? Did I understand you correctly? OP, you're spreading yourself too thin.

Downsize yourself to a 1-br. apt. Then you won't have to worry so much about your finances. You may even luck into something advertised as 1-br., but it may have an "office" room as a bonus. That's almost a 2-br. for the price of a 1-br. And they do have 1-br. condo's. I suspect that somewhere around Redmond would be most practical. What do you mean, when you're "in town"? Are you thinking of renting in Seattle, is that what you mean by "town"? Rents are probably cheaper on the east side, depending.

And why all this talk about a shorter-term rental? That's not entirely clear.

Anyway, this is the best I can do at my current level of understanding of everything you threw out at us.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Lower down, he says his wife is living with her parents. So he is paying his inlaws rent for their daughter to live there?

He also says they are hoping to reconcile.

Maybe OP can find a sublet for the short term.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
I would suggest just renting a modest apartment in a nicer, well-run building, in a walkable part of town.

I don't understand the expectation of one person, with a limited budget no less, having an entire two bedroom townhome to themselves.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM

261 posts, read 221,594 times
Thank you all.
No, not currently paying to my wife's parents. But we will be (hopefully) finding a place to live together where she is at.
The reason I was thinking 2 bed townhouse or similar was due to the amount of things I have and don't want to pay for storage to hold my items. Expense I could reduce without needing storage.

What areas do you suggest (walkable to grocery stores)

Last edited by lostsoul2015; 08-10-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Get rid of at least half your "stuff". On the other hand, the rent difference between a 2bd townhouse and a 1bd apartment would probably pay for needed storage twice over.

Look at Northgate. Groceries, stores, shopping, dining, bars, etc., nearby. Fast connection on the #41 to Downtown (20 minutes), then catch ST 545 Redmond Express to Redmond (37 minutes).

Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
I also moved out from the townhome in the other city as wife also moved out and now living temporarily with her parents
Just let your wife stay with her parents until you two are ready to move into one place together, near where you work. Why would you need two rentals?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Lower down, he says his wife is living with her parents. So he is paying his inlaws rent for their daughter to live there?

He also says they are hoping to reconcile.

Maybe OP can find a sublet for the short term.
But he says he'll need to be in Seattle in any case, whatever that means, exactly: Seattle proper? Greater Seattle area/eastside?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Get rid of at least half your "stuff". On the other hand, the rent difference between a 2bd townhouse and a 1bd apartment would probably pay for needed storage twice over.

Look at Northgate. Groceries, stores, shopping, dining, bars, etc., nearby. Fast connection on the #41 to Downtown (20 minutes), then catch ST 545 Redmond Express to Redmond (37 minutes).
That's a 1-hr. commute, though. OP, what's wrong with renting in Redmond? You know where the walkable neighborhoods are over there, right?

And when (hopefully) you move in with your wife in her city, would you be working remotely exclusively, or would you still have to maintain a rental somewhere in the greater Seattle area? Where's your employer located?

That would be great if you two reconciled, and things really worked out between you.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's a 1-hr. commute, though. OP, what's wrong with renting in Redmond? You know where the walkable neighborhoods are over there, right?

And when (hopefully) you move in with your wife in her city, would you be working remotely exclusively, or would you still have to maintain a rental somewhere in the greater Seattle area? Where's your employer located?

That would be great if you two reconciled, and things really worked out between you.
He's not commuting everyday, from what I gather. If only commuting two or three times a week, an hour commute is quite doable. Beats driving for stress.

He can find one-bedroom apartments in Northgate for $1,200-1,300 - not sure that's possible in "walkable" areas in Redmond or elsewhere on the Eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area