Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:32 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
Well yeah. Were you looking for inside info?
No, just pointing out that people are discussing guesses, which some people seem to be taking pretty seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
No, just pointing out that people are discussing guesses, which some people seem to be taking pretty seriously.

Welcome to the internet. It's an article for crying out loud.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 PM

437 posts, read 436,073 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/t...a.html?mcubz=1

They'd have to first solve our non-affordable housing crisis before they could build it here in San Diego. NOT gonna happen any time super-soon. We barely have the resources (namely WATER in droughts) to keep existing population wet.

".....cities including Chicago, Dallas and San Diego, along with states like Michigan, were vocal about their interest, the first of many places expected to consider submitting proposals. Amazon has laid out in meticulous detail what it is looking for, even acknowledging that new laws may be required to get the high level of incentives necessary to hold the company’s attention."

Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Welcome to the internet. It's an article for crying out loud.
Have you thought about your posts in that context?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Have you thought about your posts in that context?
Nope. What do my posts have to do with you being overly sensitive to an opinion piece in the NYT? Anyway, I hope they find a city far far away.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Interesting development, Tacoma, Everett, and Bothell are going to try and get Amazon to build their HQ2 in their cities.
Does Tacoma or Bothell-Everett have what it takes to be Amazon’s 2nd headquarters site? | Q13 FOX News

It probably won't happen since I think Amazon is trying to enter a new labor market.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
We have to remember that Toronto must be looking pretty attractive to Bezos as Trump and his cronies extract "Amazon revenge" by messing with the H-1B visa program.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:12 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
My question is why you think it "sad" that growth will be curtailed in Seattle? Do you enjoy the stifling traffic and hordes of people as well as super-escalating housing prices and rents? What's in it for you?
sad because Amazon brings billions of dollars here. Housing is a SHORT term issue, it will be solved, Jobs however are not, and the more high end jobs we bring here the more likely the ball keeps rolling.

MSFT brought us tens of thousands of additional jobs, that labor pool drew in more players and allowed Amazon to access that huge pool of poeple. which in turn drew in more people.

it is a huge win, massive win for this region. Sure some folk whine about traffic and housing, but it is one of the best problems to have. Instead we could have high unemployment lots of violence and drugs.

I am happy to see growth and i accept that means idiots will block my drive. i accept that prices go up. it is far better to have too much traffic . it is not that long ago Seattle was in decline and almost written off....

hopefully amazon is not going to wind down Seattle and instead will just use this 2nd site to shut up seattle city council and get them to remember how damn lucky we are to have Microsoft, google FB, boeing Amazon, and so many more...

Hubris may be our downfall.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
Obvious it will be Chicago:

1. Major incentives from the city to fulfill Rahm Emanuel's "silicon prairie" vision (Google's new satellite HQ already here),
2. Largest distribution center in the country already built outside of Chicago,
3. Square in the middle of the country
4. Unparalleled access to capital and banking (other than NYC),
5. Largest distribution network of produce, grains and meat,
6. Big 10 talent pool to tap into.

Very logical.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 PM

235 posts, read 269,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Obvious it will be Chicago:

1. Major incentives from the city to fulfill Rahm Emanuel's "silicon prairie" vision (Google's new satellite HQ already here),
2. Largest distribution center in the country already built outside of Chicago,
3. Square in the middle of the country
4. Unparalleled access to capital and banking (other than NYC),
5. Largest distribution network of produce, grains and meat,
6. Big 10 talent pool to tap into.

Very logical.
In a state that's a ticking time bomb financially. With the massive unfunded pension liability there, there's no way I'd want to have my company headquartered there or move there personally with a long term stay in mind.

Illinois is losing talent in droves.

Last edited by Canamlian; 09-13-2017 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area