Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,927,147 times

Advertisements

Since i moved to Seattle in july 2015 i have been using Southwest Airlines to fly to Burbank Airport in Burbank,California to visit my parents. Southwest allows each passanger 2 free pieces of checked luggage while alska air charges for checked luggage.

Southwest has been very cheap for me. As low as $175 roundtrip between Seattle and Burbank with an advance purchase. Alaska Airlines charges $400 roundtrip to Burbank non stop from Seattle.

The only downside with taking southwest to Burbank is the flights arent non stop but connecting flights in either las vegas,oakland,Sacramento or San Jose.

Southwest airlines has non stop service from Seattle to Las vegas,phoenix,San jose,Sacramento,oakland and San Diego.

Why does Southwest have no non stop service to LAX or Burbank??

I don't mind changing planes to get to Burbank from Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I hate changing planes, and we have found that for southern CA flying Jet Blue to Long Beach is the best value. The reason Southwest is so cheap is that they have to charge less to attract customers willing to change planes in order to save a few bucks. We have paid as little as $156 round trip on Jet Blue, and the TSA in Long Beach is very quick. Of course, it's about 30-45 minutes from Long Beach to Burbank if that's where your parents live. SeaTac airport is the fastest growing in the USA, and until they are able to add more gates are not likely to give smaller airlines an increase in flights.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I hate changing planes, and we have found that for southern CA flying Jet Blue to Long Beach is the best value. The reason Southwest is so cheap is that they have to charge less to attract customers willing to change planes in order to save a few bucks. We have paid as little as $156 round trip on Jet Blue, and the TSA in Long Beach is very quick. Of course, it's about 30-45 minutes from Long Beach to Burbank if that's where your parents live. SeaTac airport is the fastest growing in the USA, and until they are able to add more gates are not likely to give smaller airlines an increase in flights.
Thats a good deal on jetblue to long beach. Unfortunately my parents wont drive to long beach to pick me up. So i have to fly to Burbank.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Since i moved to Seattle in july 2015 i have been using Southwest Airlines to fly to Burbank Airport in Burbank,California to visit my parents. Southwest allows each passanger 2 free pieces of checked luggage while alska air charges for checked luggage.

Southwest has been very cheap for me. As low as $175 roundtrip between Seattle and Burbank with an advance purchase. Alaska Airlines charges $400 roundtrip to Burbank non stop from Seattle.

The only downside with taking southwest to Burbank is the flights arent non stop but connecting flights in either las vegas,oakland,Sacramento or San Jose.

Southwest airlines has non stop service from Seattle to Las vegas,phoenix,San jose,Sacramento,oakland and San Diego.

OP, connecting flights is why they're so cheap. Are you willing to pay a higher price for non-stop?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Thats a good deal on jetblue to long beach. Unfortunately my parents wont drive to long beach to pick me up. So i have to fly to Burbank.
No shuttles from Long Beach airport to other parts of the LA area?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, connecting flights is why they're so cheap. Are you willing to pay a higher price for non-stop?
I guess you get what you pay for

Old 10-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No shuttles from Long Beach airport to other parts of the LA area?
With bad LA traffic long beach could he a 2 hour drive from where my parents live. Burbank is a 15 to 20 minute drive from where my parents live.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 PM

361 posts, read 398,661 times
Quote:

Anonymous, you should send an email to Southwest Airline's corporate office with your suggestions about an LAX-SEA direct flight.

See how that possibly may turn out.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Southwest prides itself as being a "non-hub" airline, and for many flights this is true. But in the west, as the above posts describe, they are still dependent on hubs in Vegas and Phoenix. They offer some good fares, but they are not always non-stops. If it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:

SWA 'turns' planes 2x faster than the competition and they keep them full by routing through their hubs (OAK, LAS, PHX) for us on the left coast. Yes, it is interesting how they route non-stops (I can get them to my TX home in the summer and on weekdays, but not during winter or weekends...) SWA has been GREAT for my portfolio! and riding is a BONUS!

Things may change as they add HI in 2018, but I doubt it will be from Burbank (Probably OAK, LAX, or SJC). I often take a Friday night flight to SJC or OAK and head to BUR on SAT AM. (2 wks ago I grabbed a pile of the $29 flights from Bay to LA area) $44 to get to SF area airports. I need my 100 trips / yr to keep my Companion Pass.

Looks like Alaska and American are your only choices for directs to BUR. AK is $138 at the moment.

Keep you eye peeled, but BUR is really a SMALL airport for SEA Directs.

I was even suffering through Spirit when they were running $19.90 directs from PDX to SAN (down at 5AM and return at midnight, No Hotel or rental car required.) Now you have to route through LAS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area