Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are likely going to be moving to the Seattle area in the early 2020s and we've been doing some preliminary research on cities/towns outside the city that would be within reasonable commuting distance.

I've been looking more towards the north in Snohomish County but we'd be open to Pierce County as well and even King County for the right place.

We would prefer to NOT work in Seattle if we could manage it but would be fine with it for the right job. If we do end up working in Seattle we would prefer to commute via Sounder to avoid traffic headaches as much as possible.

We do not have children and are unsure if we will ever have them. I would prefer a house with a little bit of land (1/4 to 1/2 an acre) and our budget for a house will likely be about $350k.

Some of the cities/towns I've been looking at include:

Lake Stevens
Snohomish
Covington
Enumclaw
Graham

Basically we're looking at a crescent running from Everett to Tacoma

Weather is a non-issue; the climate there is extremely comparable to the climate here.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
DC, you might get a small place in Enumclaw or Graham for that now, won't be the case in 2020. Have you thought of buying soon and holding as a rental until you are ready to move? You could touch something in Lake Stevens at that price now, it wouldn't have any land to speak of unless it was in rather rough condition.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-13-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 06:15 PM

489 posts, read 963,743 times
Yep. Buy now while you can in those areas.
Perspective is always something interesting to me. When you say 'a little land', I'm thinking an acre or two. Not a quarter acre or half.

-Mike

Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Why not look at Kitsap County?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true

$360k, 3bd/3ba, 2,700sf, shop, 1.26 acres. Commute to Bremerton via Hwy 16, to Downtown Seattle via Southworth Ferry/Vashon Water Taxi, or to Tacoma via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Houses have been going up 10-25% each year, so add that to today's prices and that gives you some idea of what you are dealing with.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Why not look at Kitsap County?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true

$360k, 3bd/3ba, 2,700sf, shop, 1.26 acres. Commute to Bremerton via Hwy 16, to Downtown Seattle via Southworth Ferry/Vashon Water Taxi, or to Tacoma via the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
That's a great looking place

How long do you reckon it takes to get to downtown from there via the ferry or water taxi? And what would that experience be like in winter during rough seas?

I've heard mixes things about the peninsula but it does seem like a pretty nice place to me and as long as we have reasonable access to the city that's what's more important for us.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:03 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
DC, the boats are huge and quite reliable. It would be rare to have waves (keep in mind it is Puget Sound, not the ocean) be large enough to stop a ferry run. From Kitsap County, Bremerton and Bainbridge have direct boats to Seattle. Bainbridge is out of your price range, there would be some options in Kitsap. Silverdale has everything you need for shopping. Here is the ferry link: WSDOT - Ferries - Schedule: Bremerton to Seattle

Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM

455 posts, read 598,069 times
I think you need to stay in California with the rest of the Californians

Old 11-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
DC, the boats are huge and quite reliable. It would be rare to have waves (keep in mind it is Puget Sound, not the ocean) be large enough to stop a ferry run. From Kitsap County, Bremerton and Bainbridge have direct boats to Seattle. Bainbridge is out of your price range, there would be some options in Kitsap. Silverdale has everything you need for shopping. Here is the ferry link: WSDOT - Ferries - Schedule: Bremerton to Seattle
Cool to know, thank you!

How common do you find folks commuting to Seattle, Tacoma, or even Olympia from the Bremerton area? The peninsula looks like a pretty big place but it seems nice and connected with the rest of the Puget Sound area

Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 AM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
That's a great looking place

How long do you reckon it takes to get to downtown from there via the ferry or water taxi? And what would that experience be like in winter during rough seas?

I've heard mixes things about the peninsula but it does seem like a pretty nice place to me and as long as we have reasonable access to the city that's what's more important for us.
They are talking about a "fast (walk-on) ferry" directly from Southworth to Downtown Seattle. Right now there is a fast ferry from Bremerton to Downtown Seattle (30 minutes?) - there is a "foot ferry" from Port Orchard to the Bremerton ferry terminal. There are also park-n-rides that feed the terminal.

You can also take the Southworth car ferry to Vashon Island and transfer to the Vashon Water Taxi - around 45-50 minutes combined, but first/last mile and transfer time is additional. Or you can take the Southworth car ferry to Fauntleroy and drive from there to other locations in Seattle, which is okay for appointments, shopping, entertainment, etc., but less so for commuting, due to backups at the Fauntleroy terminal.

Getting work in Bremerton (41,000 pop.) or Kitsap County is very possible. The Naval Shipyard and a naval hospital are in Bremerton. A major hospital is in Silverdale. Bangor Submarine Base is in Kitsap County. A community college is there.

Commuting to Tacoma (211,000 pop.) from Port Orchard or Gig Harbor is also doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area